Thailand Road Carnage: Motorcycle couple dead on Bangkok bridge - second fatality in same spot in 2 weeks

webfact

12 hours ago, stoner said:

at what point does society here recognize the elephant in the room in regards to all aspects of thai driving ? 

how do we continue to have compassion for something that never changes. i came to thailand first in 2003....... and absolutely 0 has changed in regards to their habits and driving in general.

my compassion for this ended a long time ago as they seem to not give a toss. 

Whilst I understand your cynicism, two young kids have been snubbed out in the springtime of their lives; their families and friends will be overwrought with grief, and irrespective of culpability, and the frequency of such events, I feel empathy towards all concerned.

That notwithstanding, I realise that compassion and empathy will always be a matter between the individual and their conscience …. cheers

16 hours ago, OttoPollmann said:

This shouldn't be an excuse at all.

By this logic, he also don't need to stop if the traffic in front of him comes to a hold and just plough through it? 

If he is unable to make a hill start, then he is either overloaded or has worn tires. The later is the standard with most of the lorries. 

A truck has breaks on all wheels and can stop very easy and quick, Accelerate especial from standing still with a heavy loaded truck can be a problem uphill. It just have a few tires with driving force. When a truck stop uphill, the weight goes towards the back tires of the tailer, making the tires that can accelerate have less weight and with that less grip. Not much is needed and the driving tires looses the grip and just start to spin with you going nowhere except maybe backwards. This is what young people doing burn outs with their cars, just have a few friends pushing on the front of the car and as soon as the tires start to spin the car goes nowhere.

If the trucks were all wheel drive I would agree with you. But unfortunate they are not. 

16 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

As there were no emergency services on scene did you not think to stop and help rather than just "I rode passed the accident scene"?

There were a few people around attending to them. From what I saw there was nothing else that could be done. Traffic was being waved away. I followed. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Enoon said:

Think of Thai society as a "family"........that is how it has been characterised, in Thailand, over and over, ad infinitum.

And so it is.......a dysfunctional one.

The "parenting" consisted of a mix of not giving a **** about the children and leaving them completely unsupervised and unsupported, harassing them, subjugating, threatening and bullying them, and filling their heads full of archaic personality worship, nonsense and superstition.

The road thing is just part of the big (badly painted by numbers, chaotic)...... picture.

Intense "therapy" is the only thing that can come close to fixing it.

It almost certainly requires much more severe "treatment".

Well said!