Antarctic ocean currents heading for collapse, report warns

Social Media

1 minute ago, kwilco said:

Lovely partially readable quote but you don't seem to e able to put it into any context - what is your point and how do you think this single quote supports it?

Not putting it in any context, simply agreeing with it, as surely, they know, can guess better than me.

But they do seem to have the same faith in humans as I do ...  'unlikely' being the key take away.

So I should worry (have enough grey hair already) or be concerned, if they don't think anything will change.

I also won't mention, all these folks that are concerned, don't have solar or drive EVs .... oops, I did anyway.

Oh well ... continue on without me, as I can't even seem to be allowed to agree with y'all.

What context ? ... and I thought it was self explanatory.

Y'all have nice day

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

If the gulf stream ceases Australia is likely to have a permanent La Nina which means more rain and flooding. The collapse in the gulf stream is caused by global warming, similar to the collapse of the polar vortex causing colder weather south of the arctic than in the arctic itself

More rain & cooler temps works for me ... send some of that our way.   Come on, OZ ain't that far away.   Hmm, need  a major change is winds.

27 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

they still don't know 'exactly' how, why when and now where it will all happen or what true effect it will have.

It is unreasonable to expect a timetable - what is sure is that it has already started.

I have said before that movies like "Day after tomorrow"  don't help in that those who haven't bothered to look into Global Warming (MMCC) are expecting to wake up one day to find either a desert outside their front door of a tidal wave full of icebergs..However, we do know for sure that human activities, particularly the burning of fossil fuels and deforestation, are releasing large amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, which trap heat and cause the Earth's temperature to rise. This has led to a range of impacts, including rising sea levels, more frequent and severe weather events, and changes in precipitation patterns.

While we have a good understanding of the mechanisms that drive climate change, there are still uncertainties around the exact timing and magnitude of its impacts. Climate models, which are used to make projections about future climate change, are based on a range of assumptions and estimates, and there is a degree of uncertainty in their predictions. Additionally, there are feedback loops and tipping points in the Earth's climate system that could lead to sudden and potentially catastrophic changes.

Despite these uncertainties, the overwhelming scientific consensus is that climate change is happening, and that it poses a significant threat to human and ecological systems. This consensus is based on decades of research and analysis by thousands of scientists from around the world, as well as observations of the Earth's climate and its impacts. While there is still much to learn about the specifics of how climate change will unfold, the evidence is clear that urgent action is needed to address this pressing issue.

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

If a current changes direction - it is still a current.

However if it "collapses" it means it ceases to flow.

In reality the Antarctic is a system of currents that help to maintain climates..It is the source of many currents both warm and cold.

In the Northern hemisphere - for instance it is why the sea around Southwest England and parts ofScotland is relatively warm allowing some places to be frost free whilst on the same Latitude as Edmonton in Canada

So, the Antarctic Circumpolar Current (ACC) which is the world's largest ocean current, would have significant implications for global climate and ocean circulation patterns if it were to collapse

It could lead to changes in sea level, temperature, and precipitation patterns around the world. The ACC acts as a barrier between cold polar waters and warmer subantarctic waters, which helps to maintain the balance of ocean circulation and the Earth's climate.

Without the ACC, the global climate system could become disrupted, leading to changes in weather patterns, ocean chemistry, and marine ecosystems. For example, changes in ocean chemistry could affect the ability of marine organisms to build their shells, which would have ripple effects throughout the food chain.

Thank you for that explanation.

For all you people that only follow conspiracy theories, and you know who you are, there were a couple of guys in the 90's that wrote a book called “The Coming Global Superstorm“. The authors were quite famous for their conspiracy theories. Kind of hard to believe they got it right for once. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Coming_Global_Superstorm

First, the Gulf Stream and North Atlantic drift would generate a cordon of warm water around the North Pole, which in turn holds in a frozen mass of Arctic air. Second, if the North Atlantic drift were to shut down, that barrier would fail, releasing a flood of frozen air into the Northern Hemisphere, causing a sudden and drastic temperature shift.

The book discusses a possible cause of the failure of the Gulf Stream: the melting of the polar ice caps could drastically affect the ocean salinity of the North Atlantic drift by dumping a large quantity of freshwater into the world's ocean

Bell and Strieber contend that such destabilizations have occurred before, and cite seemingly impossible engineering feats by ancient civilizations which must have been catastrophically destroyed since they do not appear in the historical record. Among their examples is the archaeological ruins of Nan Madol, which the book claims were built with exacting tolerances and extremely heavy basalt materials, necessitating a high degree of technical competency. Since no such society exists in the modern record, or even in legend, the society must have been destroyed by dramatic mean

While other explanations beside a global meteorological event are possible, a correlating evidence set is presented in the woolly mammoth. Strieber and Bell assert that since mammoths have been found preserved with food still in their mouths and undigested in their stomachs, these animals must have been killed quickly, in otherwise normal conditions. They were preserved so well by quick freezing, which is taken as evidence of a rapid onset of a global blizzard or similar event. s.s.event.

Edited by gargamon

5 hours ago, kwilco said:

It looks like you are completely out of touch - one of the whole points of understanding climate change ids putting forward alternative to the current situation.....I'm susrprised you haven't heard of them.

To be of any use at all, a solution needs to be affordable, acceptable and effective.

I haven't seen any thing that fits all those criteria, which means it's probably not going to happen.

For instance, stopping all non essential flights would remove a lot of pollution from the atmosphere, but will it happen- no way.

Banning private cars in cities would help, but is it going to happen- not a chance.

BTW electric cars are polluting to make, to get rid of and might use polluting methods of power generation to charge them.

Unless we return to sailing ships, all those freighters on the ocean are hugely polluting.

There is no reason not to use modern technology sailing ships, but is that going to happen- LOL.

Anyway, so long as the world's human population continues out of control, nothing, IMO, is going to make any difference whatsoever. Just look at all those people from <deleted> countries that are risking their lives to get to western countries where they can become consumers and drive cars etc.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gargamon said:

The book discusses a possible cause of the failure of the Gulf Stream: the melting of the polar ice caps could drastically affect the ocean salinity of the North Atlantic drift by dumping a large quantity of freshwater into the world's ocean

I think I'm correct in saying that the melting of the Arctic ice will make no difference as it's frozen sea water, not fresh water. However, if the Greenland ice cap melted that's large and is made of fresh water, so it would make a difference.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think I'm correct in saying that the melting of the Arctic ice will make no difference as it's frozen sea water, not fresh water. However, if the Greenland ice cap melted that's large and is made of fresh water, so it would make a difference.

No you aren't...the Arctic ice is made up of frozen seawater, which is primarily composed of saltwater. As such, the ice is not considered to be fresh water, but rather a type of frozen saltwater. When the ice melts, the resulting water is also saltwater. However, it's worth noting that as the ice freezes and melts, it can have an impact on the salinity levels of the surrounding seawater. It represents an increase in unfrozen water, and a change in temperature - so sea-levels could change and of course currents could collapse.

THe reflective power of the artic can change as the overall surface area 

changes and this changes the thermal characteristics of the Northern hemisphere.

he Greenland ice cap is composed of fresh water, the surrounding oceans are saltwater. When the ice melts, the resulting water is fresh water, which can impact the salinity levels of the surrounding seawater even more than the artic. also Canada - Ice caps in Canada can be found in places such as the Canadian Arctic Archipelago and the mountains of British Columbia. These ice caps are made up of layers of snow that have accumulated over thousands of years and have turned into ice. When the ice melts, the resulting water is fresh water, which can have an impact on the surrounding ecosystems..

It is tempting to be simplistic and try to find one issue that you think might disprove the entire concept of global warming, but in t=reality you are just confirming the theory and the complexity of the science. It is the interconnectivity of the world system from east to West, North to South that makes it so hard for some people to get their head around it.

it's probably better to look at a map of the artic from "above" than the old Mercator perspective....

arctic_map.gif

Edited by kwilco