Brit and Singapore pensioners rounded up in Bangkok on long overstays "to protect Thailand and stop losses"

webfact

5 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Good news, that 76 yr old brit looks like trouble. Thailand is now safe.

just becasue someone looks incomcent, dosent always mean to say they are ... 

At the end of the day, he only has himself to blame as he's broken the immigration laws by overstaying his visa. i'm not saying that it's some sort of horrendous crime , but it wouldn't have been too diffuclt for him  to obtain a retirement visa which would have enabled him to remain in the Kingdom legally.  

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

Surely the Thai immigration computer can spit out a list of names/addresses of those who have not extended their official stay. Why would it take 12 years to find him (based on a tip off).

Good question? Hotels, guest houses etc are supposed to report to immigration on foreigners staying at their accommodation, TM30. If you own a condo, house,  its the same you must fill out a TM30.

So immigration must know who and where the over-stayers are, you would think?

Also 90 day reports must be done?

Somehow the system doesn't seem to be working?

• Like 1

While I feel a bit of sympathy for the old Brit probably facing being deported back to the UK ???????? ????

He knows the rules of immigration staying here as a guest in Thailand ???????? 

Which the Majority of us dutifully carry out causing no problems for the future 

• Like 1

Just now, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Good question? Hotels, guest houses etc are supposed to report to immigration on foreigners staying at their accommodation, TM30. If you own a condo, house,  its the same you must fill out a TM30.

Sorry, but there is a degree of naivety in that post. 

You think an overstayer gets involved with TM30's and 90 day reports.? I knew someone on 5 years overstay (12 years ago - if he is still alive he could be the record holder!)' Lived in the backwaters of Buriram with a Thai lady and picked up his state pension of 8,500 Baht p.m. (and that was when the rate was 50).

If the Immigration system was intelligent it would electronically 

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Did any reporter ask in what way they are a danger to the public, and how spending money and supporting Thai businesses leads to losses for the country?

No. I thought not.

So are you saying that support law breaking?

Where do you draw your line - overstay, robbery, rape and murder?

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Quite so. There mat be some folks that do not inform immigration if they move accommodation, but surely the great majority do, so do immigration check on addresses where they know people have over stayed? Or just wait for tip offs?????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I was out for an hour today, and lost count after 30 of Thais breaking traffic laws in various ways. Encouraging people to spy on and report on their neighbours is what happened/happens in hardline communist dictatorships.

It could be a killer on the run. If foreigners are hiding in Thailand then the government has to check them. And I am glad that they do. Everything else would be irresponsible. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:
9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Did any reporter ask in what way they are a danger to the public, and how spending money and supporting Thai businesses leads to losses for the country?

No. I thought not.

So are you saying that support law breaking?

Where do you draw your line - overstay, robbery, rape and murder?

Where do you read that I support lawbreaking? I was questioning the reasons given to justify arrest. Why didn't they just say they were arrested for breaking the law by overstaying, rather than spouting complete rubbish.

• Like 1

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

Where do you read that I support lawbreaking? I was questioning the reasons given to justify arrest. Why didn't they just say they were arrested for breaking the law by overstaying, rather than spouting complete rubbish.

I think the rubbish came from your side................... your empathy was obvious.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mickeymaus said:

It could be a killer on the run. If foreigners are hiding in Thailand then the government has to check them. And I am glad that they do. Everything else would be irresponsible. 

They're a bit slow off the mark if it's taken all this time to track down this pair, and even then it needed a tip off. Just think how many they could have killed in that time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Then why didn't get himself set up with a legitimate extension? It isn't that difficult as most of know. And even if he didn't have the necessary financials, there's always the agents, as our 'use an agent' brigade are always quick to point out.

Sorry, I've no  sympathy for this guy.

Maybe he's been in a 10 year coma, never reads the news or watches it...could be many reasons. He could have thought he was a permanent resident because someone told him so many years prior that he was ...

If he did it with the full knowledge he was in violation of immigration rules then the man has balls of titanium...

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I understand every nation has its laws. I am fine with immigration backing up those laws. A ten year overstay is quite an accomplishment. 

However, I consider integrity and honesty to be important. Saying this is about stopping some kind of loss to the nation is disengenuous. The average Thai earns around 20,000 baht per month. The average pensioner gets how much? 35,000 baht? 50,000 baht? Plus potential income from other sources. So, I just don't see any loss taking place. It is so typical of Prayuth to be dishonest. 

Plus the 20K that the Thais earn is made in country whereas the pensioners import forex to Thailand and it gets added to the forex reserves.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They're a bit slow off the mark if it's taken all this time to track down this pair, and even then it needed a tip off. Just think how many they could have killed in that time.

I would organise this differently. The immigration computer knows the overstayers. I would put their names, nationality and pictures on the Internet and offer a financial reward if someone reports one. It could be that simple... 

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

lol its hard to believe that anyone took what I said as being overly serious

Where there no clues at all.........????

Well you certainly got me , until I read your second post,  You seem to forget that many of the more sanctimonious types on here will be calling for a far more severe punishment to be handed down to this elderly gentleman ( just wait until later when " happy" hour has finished) 

The ones who post "no sympathy from me etc"  are  just as bad,  why do they feel the need to say that? who do they  cares what they think  ( other "right minded" sorts presumably)  And as for informants, nothing lower than a grass  

Your  sarcasm was mabe a be a bit too subtle for threads of this nature

However we can't blame the immigration guys for doing  their jobs , especially  considering recent events , they are after all under orders.

I Wish UK border force would make more effort to fulfill their job description

• Thumbs Up 1