I wanted to ask in this forum. And then I thought: Let's try ChatGPT first...

OneMoreFarang

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Thank you One More and AI for asking and answering this question.

I never knew that stainless steel was not magnetic. Thank you.

I learned that stainless steel is not magnetic when I tried to attach it to a magnet and it didn't work.

But I was not sure if it would make a difference for above situation (see question). It seems it makes a difference. 

And it's nice to see how good AI is already.

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Make the magnets with Stainless Steel. ????

Sorry. No can do. Stainless is non-magnetisable. There is austenite in stainless and the austenite renders the steel non magnetic.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Sorry. No can do. Stainless is non-magnetisable. There is austenite in stainless and the austenite renders the steel non magnetic.

Jokes apart I thought the outercasing of my magnets in my motorcycle tank bag were stainless so it's more likely chrome.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Jokes apart I thought the outercasing of my magnets in my motorcycle tank bag were stainless so it's more likely chrome.

Yes, or any other waterproof coating like Nickle or Zink.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I learned that stainless steel is not magnetic when I tried to attach it to a magnet and it didn't work.

And it's nice to see how good AI is already.

Rather incomplete information to say the least.

There are many mixtures or stainless steel. They range from the completely non magnetic to the reasonably highly magnetic.

the fixing screw has only a moderate effect on the magnetic force available 

However the correct backing and possibly sides of the magnet have a much larger influence on the perceived strength of the magnet/s

So put your magnets on a steel strip and increase the strength by a significant amount 

This demonstrates that while not wrong the AI is not as marvellous as suggested 

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

Then things get really complicated because the magnet will drop off and its relocation reders it much weaker if measured from its original location.

By the way. Magnets, in particular the neodymium ones, are very prone to rusting also and when they rust they loose their magnetic capabilities.

to resume AI knows zip, brainless... only knows what information was inputted by a human

• Love It 1

24 minutes ago, Hummin said:

the most important question, is what social media, apps, web sites and AI chat robots gets access to from you when using their services. 

What kind of information is Asean Now collecting from us when using their services?

Dose Asean Now, know who you are ?

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Thank you One More and AI for asking and answering this question.

I never knew that stainless steel was not magnetic. Thank you.

Think induction cooker ... why they / SS pans have the heavy bottom plate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Depends what you use to register, not only on AN, but your devices.  I avoid anything requesting a ph #, and use mail accounts with no personal info.

Goes beyond just your AN registration though, and you IP address, server registration information.   

Almost impossible to be totally incognito.  If someone know how & where to look.

That's all true. i don't need a lecture, but thanks anyway.

But this guy has a few tricks for you all.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BraxMe

but most won't bother.

As they have nothing to hide !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheesy:

That post will come soon. :coffee1:

16 minutes ago, quake said:

but most won't bother.

True ... depending where you live, or which nanny state.

You will eventually have to register with an internet server, who will require a proper id and or ph#.   Thus, you are basically no longer incognito, though it may or may not, take a court order to access that info.

VPNs ... well, don't be surprised, if the VPN service you are using, isn't owned and operated by the very same folks you are trying to avoid :cheesy:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

What if the steel screws rust. ????

That is a possible issue. 

In the next days I will make the 1:1 test. Same part, one time with steel screws and one time with stainless steel screws, let's see if it makes a noticeable difference. 

The good thing for me is that the parts with the magnets and the screws are easily removable. If I use steel, then I will check in the next months for corrosion. And if I see any corrosion then I will change the screws. And I can easily add additional magnets if necessary. Let's see.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, quake said:

That's all true. i don't need a lecture, but thanks anyway.

But this guy has a few tricks for you all.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BraxMe

but most won't bother.

That post will come soon. :coffee1:

Here it comes.

Sure it is possible to track me, or anybody else down. It's only a question of how much motivation, money and power the people have who track us down.

Does anybody really care about a computer user in Thailand who asks about steel and magnets?

Or how to do this and that and how to cheat how not to pay for Netflix. Who cares?

Professional criminals probably know better how to protect themselves. But even for them it is unlikely that they know the perfect way how to hide on the internet.

Summary: Always presume someone is listening. Most of the time nobody will listen and even if someone is listening, he won't care. 

• Confused 1

I find the negative comments about AI interesting.

Yes, AI is not perfect, but it's already pretty good. And it's rapidly getting better.

Should we believe everything the AI tells us? No. But then again, I didn't ask the AI about a life-or-death question. I asked about steel and magnets.

And I am pretty sure if we would have an AI account which pretends to be a user in this forum then that account would likely more often give qualified answers compared to the average user here. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1