Are you thinking of buying a BYD EV?

18 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Your wife avoids buying Chinese cars… how many cars has she bought in the past few years?

Maybe she should just stick to buying Volvos (oops sorry, that’s also a CH made car) or Teslas (oops sorry, CH made too). How about a Toyota BZ3X or whatever.. oh sorry, CH made too. Looks like your wife might have to go without a car if she wants to stick to her principles.

ROLL EYES

Considering she is an auto part supplier for the past 15 years I think she knows what she is talking about. You don't have a single clue what goes inside these cars. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Celsius said:

BYD will open a plant in Thailand. My wife was hired by American/Spanish company and one of their target eutomers is BYD. Of course most of their parts are made in China but are tested for speed and quality, Considering she has connections with engineers and garages here in Thailand I think she knows exactly which cars to avoid. And MG is one of them.

I wouldn't disagree with you on early MG models here, but they have substantially improved their quality and are no different now to any other manufacturer.

I would challenge any statement about current MG's.

Your wife will not have a clue about MG EV's manufactured in China, I would be surprised if any have been manufactured here, and I will always favour Chinese over Thai assembly..

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

Factor in the price of electricity (to charge ones car - most don't run on solar). Demand for electricity will increase it's unit price. I doubt the current grid could support hundreds of thousands of EV's charging at home daily. More demand = more coal burned to suppy the electricity. 

We already did the math, electricity consumption in Thailand will increase by 0.06% per 100,000 EVs added. ???? ???? ????

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

Your wife will not have a clue about MG EV's manufactured in China, I would be surprised if any have been manufactured here, and I will always favour Chinese over Thai assembly..

My wife is 100% Chinese, speaks Chinese and also has connections in China. She does not know about BYD as of now but she will.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

We already did the math, electricity consumption in Thailand will increase by 0.06% per 100,000 EVs added. ???? ???? ????

So who owns an EV here who charges at home and homw much is the electricity bill before having and EV compared to after, and how many kms are driven per week/year? I'd like to see some real data from users. And when does it become more economical to install solar (which one SHOULD do, if they actually care for post car production zero emmissions). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DavisH said:

So who owns an EV here who charges at home and homw much is the electricity bill before having and EV compared to after, and how many kms are driven per week/year? I'd like to see some real data from users. And when does it become more economical to install solar (which one SHOULD do, if they actually care for post car production zero emmissions). 

Mine is the same, close to zero every month because I have solar.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 8:32 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Is there a insurance premium on BYD, Good Cat and other small EV cars in Thailand?

Insurance companies would have done their homework on the statistical probably of EV fires.

Thank you!!

If you want to know what is happening, watch what insurances are doing. . they have no bias other than the bottom line. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Not sure what you did there, but I researched average insurance for Toyota Corolla Cross and BYD Atto 3 and could only find stats from Malesia.

The lower replacement value  Toyota Cross average insurance for a 2023 Toyota Corolla Cross is  RM 4,005 a year. 

And the higher replacement value of the BYD atto3 had an  average  insurance for a 2023 BYD ATTO 3 is RM 4,611 a year. 

As you can see, adjusting for the replacement value difference, the insurance for both is virtually identical. 

https://www.wapcar.my/car-insurance/model-byd-atto-3

https://www.wapcar.my/car-insurance/model-toyota-corolla-cross

Interesting and odd at the same time.

Not sure why the two quotations differ so much. Maybe someone with more insurance experience can enlighten us?

9 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Not sure why the two quotations differ so much. Maybe someone with more insurance experience can enlighten us?

Toyota Corolla Cross was any garage BYD Atto 3 was dealer 

“Currently insurance premiums for EVs are already about 20-30% higher than that of internal combustion engine vehicles,” he said. “This is because the repair and maintenance of EVs require diagnostics by skilled technicians, and any repair/replacement of battery must be thoroughly analysed by technicians of the manufacturers.”

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40025694

High repair costs contribute to pricey EV insurance premiums: Priceza

The low number of electric cars on the road, high repair costs, lack of repair awareness, and the lack of components are responsible for the increased price of insurance for electric cars, according to car insurance price comparison website Priceza Money.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/economy/40028172

18 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

They probably don't have any statistics on new models so err on the side of caution.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Pib said:

I'm seriously considering buying either BYD Atto 3 EV or MG ZS EV.....really torn between deciding between them. The wife and I visited BYD and MG dealerships today/19 Sep and test drove a MG ZS EV this afternoon....I was impressed with the drive quality and power.   We also visited the BYD dealership this morning to look at the Atto 3 and also could have done an offerred test drive but didn't take them up on the offer....but going back tomorrow morning and do a test drive.

For the Atto 3 Extended Range model with 60KWH battery the price is Bt1,199,900 until the end of November when the govt subsidiary will dry up for that BYD model.   The freebies include:

- a basic warranty on vehicle 8 yrs/160Km,

- Traction battery warranty is also 8 yrs/160Km,

- Free Maintenance for 8 yrs/160Km,

- free road service 24 hrs a day for 8 yrs,

- free 1st class insurance for 1 yr, 

- free home wall charge (7KW) including installation,

- free portable (granny) charger,

- free Vehicle to Load adapter, 

- free car registration,

- and free matching carpet matts, rear luggage, license plate frames

Now for the MG EZ EV with 50KWH battery the price is Bt1,013,000 until the end of September....only another 10 days or so....appears the govt subsidiary on this model goes away before the subsidiary for the Atto 3.....beyond my brain power to figure out why the govt subsidiary length of time is shorter on the MG model vs the BYD model....but it is what it is.   But here are the freebies included in the MG dealership quote today:

- Free 1st class insurance for 3 (three) years....normally it's 1 yr but a special deal right now adds 2 more free years for a total of 3 yrs 1st class insurance

- free labor for 5 times/visits

- basic warranty on vehicle 4 years/120Km

- traction battery warranty 8 year/160Km

- free home wall charger (7KW) and installation

- free portable (granny) charger

- free ceramic windows film (40/60/80% light blocking)...I would go with 80% on the side window/sunroof and 40% on the front window

- free vehicle to load adapter

- free roadside assistance 24hrs/day for 4 years

- free towing 100Km in case of emergency

- free spray rust proofing

- free car registration

- free license plate frames

Yeap....seriously considering these two models.  I need to sh$t or get off the pot deciding on which one especially since the govt subsidiary soon runs out, especially for the MG at the end of September/this month....got until end of November for the Atto 3.  

The BYD warranty coverage pretty much 8 yrs/160Km across the board for the car and traction battery is better than the MG car warranty of 4 years/120Km & 8 yrs/160Km for the traction battery.    The MG free 1st class insurance for 3 yrs vs only 1 is definitely a good thing as 1st class insurance ain't cheap.    For the external appearance of both the MG and BYD the wife and I like them both....but when it comes to the interior we undecided on which is best.  The interest of the BYD is definitely bigger probably due to its chassis being designed solely for an EV whereas the MG chassis was originally designed for a combustion engine and adapted for an EV/electric motor.   The MG interior is more classic where the BYD interior is more eccentric but still nice....much of this is a matter of opinion that will vary from individual to individual.

Wish the wife and I luck as to "if" we can decide to buy either the MG or BYD....but if we are going to do it we do to do it ASAP if wanting either car at a much lower price due to the soon to go bye-bye govt subsidiary although there is talk the subsidiary may continue in a new form/lower amount in the coming months/for 2024 but I doubt any future subsidiary will be a good as the current one.

P.S.  I currently drive a 2009 Toyota Fortuner 3.0L diesel which I will be keeping....a great car that I bought brand new, kept well maintained, and it still runs and looks great with 315,000Km on it's odometer.   But at the same time I want to get an BEV....have one car that totally electric...cheap to drive at least "fuel" wise.

How did the BYD test drive go?

I am impressed by how many km you have put on the Fortuner, the best wine shops must be far from your home.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I dont claim to be an expert on the subject , but I know from things I read that ICE vehicles have a  much higher incidence of fire per 100,000. which is to be expected since they carry gaselive, oil, and their basic operation involves explosions and electric sparks. 

The deference between my example and yours is perhaps because the first is a sample of one , and the second is an averaged of many,. The statistical error decreases as the sample number increases. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

So I asked a different question.

"does it cost more to insure EVs than it does ICE"

The answer I got was , "EVs cost slightly more to insure because of the higher cost to repair in case of an accident" 

No Mention of fire. 

Below is a list of comparison vehicles is  in the Forbes article in the subject. 

image.png.638f3d91c262e20a27d3bbd79d224a74.png

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/car-insurance/electric-vehicle/

So then i looked further into the as it pertains to the threat of fire.

" Do electric cars increase homeowners insurance?"

So from Liberty mutual,  one of the largest homeowners insurance companies in the US:

-Owning an electric vehicle or hybrid car doesn't necessarily impact your homeowners, condo, or renters insurance.

https://www.libertymutual.com/insurance-resources/auto/electric-cars-and-insurance

one would think that not only would there be a significantly higher car insurance if electric cars had a high incidence of fire, but the homes where they are stored and changed most of the time would require a higher , homeowners insurance. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Thumbs Up 2