Visa run Mae Sot

Possibly not be the best time to do visa run in Mae Sot. Someone working in Mae Sot at the border on Thai side reported yesterday lot of fighting on the other side of the Friendship bridge (border crossing) on Myawaddy side (Burma) as Cobra Colum (Karen Army and Burmese PDF) entered the town 4/5 days ago and are fighting against the Burmese military and police. Loud gun shots heared all day  (so that's taking place quite close to the border crossing area). Many Thai army humvees patrols along the border all day long. In that context I don't know if the border post is open. 

Edited by Alainpm
  • Sad 2

The border at the Mae Sot friendship bridge open and is well managed for a visa run. Works more smoothly than precovid. Commercial traffic now uses the 2nd bridge eliminating congestion downtown. I was asked for departing flight info. No weapons fire heard this time. 555.

9 hours ago, Shwaman said:

The border at the Mae Sot friendship bridge open and is well managed for a visa run. Works more smoothly than precovid. Commercial traffic now uses the 2nd bridge eliminating congestion downtown. I was asked for departing flight info. No weapons fire heard this time. 555.

My experiences at Mae Sot were always very positive. Your statement about being asked for a departing flight is something I never experienced. Was this a requirement by Thai immigration before they would grant a visa exempt entry? Did the Myanmar side allow paying for the border pass with US$10 or did they (as in Mae Sai) insist on 500 baht?

Edited by BritTim

41 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

Any news on whether Ban Phu Nam Ron Border Crossing Station is open for a visa run?

At this time, the Phu Nam Ron / Htee Khee border in Kanchanaburi province has not reopened for foreigners to bounce out and back.

The new check point building on the Thai side is open but the Burmese side is still closed.

Mae Sai / Tachileik and Mae Sot / Myawaddy are both open for foreigners to bounce out and back at to receive a new visa exempt/visa waiver entry stamp or to activate a new entry on a currently valid multi entry visa.

500 Baht gets you stamped in and out of Burma at either crossing. Some people had success with a pristine 10 USD note (some did not).

At Mae Sot you can only stamp in and out (can't stay over night) at Mae Sai you are actually issued an entry permit that allows you to stay on the Tachileik side (and the immediate area near the border) for 2 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

At Mae Sot you can only stamp in and out (can't stay over night)

I assume getting a Myanmar visa in advance and travelling overland from Myawaddy to Yangon is also out of the question?

4 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

Mae Sai / Tachileik and Mae Sot / Myawaddy are both open for foreigners to bounce out and back at to receive a new visa exempt/visa waiver entry stamp or to activate a new entry on a currently valid multi entry visa.

Do you happen to know the latest precise situation in Ranong? It seems clearly to be open to some extent, but probably with restrictions.

23 hours ago, MaiDong said:

Just to confirm, and to add my experience today - I rode to Mae Sot, and what a ride! I set off at 2am, completely empty roads, mostly newly laid roads too, all the way to the mountain pass at Tak, which despite having some road works going on, was absolutely amazing to ride! Both inbound and outbound rides were amazing, really nice flowing corners ????

The ride back on the 'highways' though, that was horrible. Maps sent me through Singburi, Ang Thong & Ayutthaya, and the roads absolutely shook me to bits, so best to come back the way I went in future, through Suphanburi & Chai Nat - lesson learned.

The border experience was nice enough, apart from the bad manners of the Burmese crossing the border, it's as if nobody else existed...

I paid B500 for my Burmese border hop, and both the Burmese and the Thai IO's were friendly and happy, which is a million miles away from my experiences with Cambodian & Laotian IO's.

So, all-in-all, I recommend this visa run, especially if you're riding, as traffic jams simply don't exist - I managed 980kms in 12hrs 37mins, with a few stops each way.

The area around Mae Sot is also beautiful, and it is possible to combine a visa run there with a short holiday. For those going from Bangkok who want to travel there quickly, without the long drive, Mae Sot airport is walking distance from the border with several flights a day. While not always true, flights are usually expensive.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 6:29 PM, BritTim said:

The area around Mae Sot is also beautiful, and it is possible to combine a visa run there with a short holiday. For those going from Bangkok who want to travel there quickly, without the long drive, Mae Sot airport is walking distance from the border with several flights a day. While not always true, flights are usually expensive.

Also, whilst I was passing through, visibility was at about 100 meters up in the hills, and about 3 or 400m half way down. 

The air was thick with smoke, and all along the route the farmers were burning. 

I'm not exaggerating when I say I almost lost my voice by the time I was half way home due to the smoke. 

So maybe not the best time of the year for a holiday in Mae Sot. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Brit Tim . Left my glasses in the car but fortunately a lovely IO intake assistant filled out my TM 6 for me. She asked for the exiting flight info. Then went to the on duty line up where I was officially stamped through. I was asked why I was staying in Ban Tak . Answered visiting friends and was sent on my way. I had the required 500 baht so I'm sorry I can't inform you about $10 USD . 

And yes as someone else posted its a beautiful  ride on a very good highway.  For real scenic beauty the mountain road from Mae Ramat to Ban Tak is top drawer altough care needs to be taken where they are reconstructing washed  out sections of the road.

From CM its about the same time to either border crossing  but personally I do find Mae Sot preferable to Mae Sai. 

Thanks for your interest and responses.

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2023 at 4:22 PM, BritTim said:

Do you happen to know the latest precise situation in Ranong? It seems clearly to be open to some extent, but probably with restrictions.

eh up.. i called Ranong immigration and they said that Ranong/Kawthaung Land Border Checkpoint can be  crossed  ...called may 14th 2023

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

I called the Mae Sot Border yesterday and they told me that the border is not open for visa runs. So i i take it things have chnaged since April. 

There has been fighting near Myawaddy (Myanmar side of the border). At last report, border bounces were still being allowed, but it appears (based on your report) that this has now changed. Thank you for the update.

7 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

I called the Mae Sot Border yesterday and they told me that the border is not open for visa runs. So i i take it things have chnaged since April. 

I called them and they said it was closed but when I went 3 days later it was open.