Nicola Sturgeon's husband arrested in connection with SNP funding and finances investigation

onthedarkside

28 minutes ago, blazes said:

Couldn't have happened to a nicer  bloke....he and his missis deserve each other.

Good job he doesn't live in Manhattan.....

Do you know him? He has a very low profile in Scotland - I am sure that the vast majority of Scots couldn't say one way or another whether he was a nice bloke or not. It would be interesting to hear your insight.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Why did you think that corruption (although he had been released without charge pending further enquiries) was the sole preserve of Westminster? I appreciate that the Tories are rotten to the core, but your country, unfortunately, isn't the only one blighted by corruption.

But again, as I have stated many times, the SNP is merely the vehicle to take us to independence. The end goal of freeing ourselves of the malevolent presence of the government of choice of the country next door is still very much in sight.

But you would have to admit that having the husband of the former leader of the party - which is synonymous with the desire for Scottish independence - is hardly helpful. 

I'd suggest that it's an uphill task for the SNP PR team to put a positive spin of this story.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RayC said:

But you would have to admit that having the husband of the former leader of the party - which is synonymous with the desire for Scottish independence - is hardly helpful. 

I'd suggest that it's an uphill task for the SNP PR team to put a positive spin of this story.

Totally agree - it's a terrible look for the SNP. If Twitter is anything to go by  there are a lot of very unhappy people in the SNP camp at the moment, whereas Alba supporters are cock a hoop.

Humza will also struggle in the wake of this - if the charges stick then Sturgeon's heir will be as tainted as her.

It will be interesting to see if Alba can capitalise on this - maybe the return of Salmond?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Do you know him? He has a very low profile in Scotland - I am sure that the vast majority of Scots couldn't say one way or another whether he was a nice bloke or not. It would be interesting to hear your insight.

They now know that he is dodgy, and I can't imagine Nic not knowing anything about his dodgy stuff, the dodgy duo, and add to that the new leader...................????.....................the SNP has just sunk.... :clap2:

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

You may or may not be correct, but I was responding to the comment that "it couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke" - generally that statement really only makes sense if you have knowledge of the person, but Murrel is totally unknown to most people other than as a name.

You may also be right about the SNP - I am sure that many people are heartily sick of these ongoing controversies, but nothing the SNP does makes independence less attractive, or make the UK look like anything other than an ongoing disaster for Scotland.

So you don't blame the SNP for their cr_p governing......:whistling:

4 minutes ago, transam said:

So you don't blame the SNP for their cr_p governing......:whistling:

I never passed comment on their performance. However I can say with all honesty that, when looking at just how much damage the Tories have done to England and the wider UK since they came to power, I am glad that the SNP have been able to mitigate much of it. 

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I never passed comment on their performance. However I can say with all honesty that, when looking at just how much damage the Tories have done to England and the wider UK since they came to power, I am glad that the SNP have been able to mitigate much of it. 

Fiddle much of it, you mean.................????

17 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

But more Scots wish to remain within the Union, do they not, plus the SNP membership has lost approx 30k - 50k members in the last 18 months have they not. Independence was sold to the Nationalists on one big lie and in the mean time Scotland has failed very badly in education, health and the rest that goes with putting all your eggs in one basket.

Independence is dead. 

What, specifically, is the lie upon which independence was 'sold'?

I don't know about SNP membership. While most SNP supporters are in favour of independence, it is a nonsense to suggest that all independence supporters are positive about the SNP.

Scotland's NHS is in difficulty, but it is miles ahead of England's. However it is constrained by the confines of the UK - so thank God our health service is controlled from Edinburgh because I would hate it to be in as dire a state as our English neighbours have to endure.

Don't believe all the lies you read about Scotland being a basket case, destroyed by the SNP. Or, at least try a little critical thinking - if what you believe is true, ask yourself why the SNP have enjoyed so much support over the past 13 years.

The SNP are not perfect, and in an independent Scotland I would not vote for them, but (until now) they offered the best option to escape the dead weight that has caused so much harm to my country whilst systematically bleeding it dry.

• Love It 1

57 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

You may or may not be correct, but I was responding to the comment that "it couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke" - generally that statement really only makes sense if you have knowledge of the person, but Murrel is totally unknown to most people other than as a name.

You may also be right about the SNP - I am sure that many people are heartily sick of these ongoing controversies, but nothing the SNP does makes independence less attractive, or make the UK look like anything other than an ongoing disaster for Scotland.

They can't even handle party finances. It's therefore likely an advantage to have Westminster giving them a hand with the national economy. ????????

• Like 1

Just now, youreavinalaff said:

They can't even handle party finances. It's therefore likely an advantage to have Westminster giving them a hand with the national economy. ????????

Given the disasters of brexit, Johnson, Kwarteng and now Sunak, I don't really see fiscal competence or integrity in our neighbours either. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

Given the disasters of brexit, Johnson, Kwarteng and now Sunak, I don't really see fiscal competence or integrity in our neighbours either. 

Brexit- ongoing.

Johbson- did well with the exception of Partygate 

Kwarteng- agreed. Him and Truss had strange ideas.

Sunak - ongoing.

1 out of 4. Not bad for you.

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

What about your own backyard, do you think they are/were competent...?

No, forget that, I can guess the answer...............????

I don't know much about the workings of the SNP and I'd never heard of this chap before, however I do feel the police intervention was a bit excessive - especially the 'forensics tent'...

Reading the FT it seems that some donations given 2017-19 were earmarked for independence referendum campaigning but instead were spent on other SNP activities. Hardly the crime of the century...

6 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

This is not about your neighbours, this is about monies going missing, oh yes it is all too easy when backed into a corner and start shouting "English" and "Westminster", this is about the currupt SNP, not only are they corrupt they are incaple of running Scotland, Holyrood is a failed experiment and powers need transferring back to Westminster before they damage the country anymore. And most Scots agree with this, 39% say yes to independence and a staggering 47% who wish to remain within the Union. 

But fear yea not Humza will sort all this out, but I'm surprised he failed to mention the Murrells white garage door, white front door and white upvc double glazing, their house is not diverse enough for me. 

40 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Brexit- ongoing.

Johbson- did well with the exception of Partygate 

Kwarteng- agreed. Him and Truss had strange ideas.

Sunak - ongoing.

1 out of 4. Not bad for you.

Brexit - a never ending tragedy that will blight your country and mine for decades

Johnson - a domestic disaster and an international embarrassment

Truss and Kwarteng - we have common ground

Sunak - well his own tax stuff hasn't been too promising, and his MPs whoring themselves out left, right and centre is a bit disconcerting too.

But those are all my opinions - as yours are yours.

• Love It 1

23 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

This is not about your neighbours, this is about monies going missing, oh yes it is all too easy when backed into a corner and start shouting "English" and "Westminster", this is about the currupt SNP, not only are they corrupt they are incaple of running Scotland, Holyrood is a failed experiment and powers need transferring back to Westminster before they damage the country anymore. And most Scots agree with this, 39% say yes to independence and a staggering 47% who wish to remain within the Union. 

But fear yea not Humza will sort all this out, but I'm surprised he failed to mention the Murrells white garage door, white front door and white upvc double glazing, their house is not diverse enough for me. 

I guess that you didn't read the post that I was replying to? 

Why is holyrood a failure? The alternative, administration from Westminster, is clearly worse, as demonstrated by the disaster that is unfolding across England. If you insist that I can't refer to that, then it's not really possible to debate your point.

• Thumbs Up 1