New rules for opening a bank account

15 hours ago, tandor said:
19 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

State what laws are being broken please. 

for eg. not so long ago some 55 fake Student Visas were granted to certain tourists, who then were able to prove residencey and open bank accounts and obtain licences etc...that's how!

What?  What laws would a bank be breaking by opening an account for a real tourist visa-holder?   That was the question. 

19 hours ago, judokrab said:

Nonsense. For example, when a tourist wants to apply for a non-O visa here (e.g. for retirement or marriage) they have to have a bank account *first*.

And many have managed to do exactly that after explaining their need for an account to the staff at their selected bank and branch.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, snowgard said:

If they not want open a bankaccount, just ask for the manager and tell him to report it to the headquater. In almost all banks farangs can open bank accounts but some managers not want it.

If they meet the documentation requirements!   Your link does not provide the current requirement as it used to do.

14 hours ago, mosan said:

They said any government official, (police, teacher, Pooyai Ban [Village Headman] present account holder, etc. would suffice. - It also says this very thing on Bangkok Bank's website. 

Where is that stated?...

"Qualifications and Required Documents

Open an account with only 500 baht...

Opening a New Account

Required Documents

For Thai nationals

• ID card or any government-issued photo ID card with 13-digit ID number

For foreigners

For more information, please contact any Bangkok Bank branch.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

Edited by Liverpool Lou

23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So when he needs to use the account (in a third party's name) for the incoming international transfer (condo purchase in his name) the transaction for his condo purchase will not match up with the bank details.   That should be very straightforward, then.

Buy it in his dad's name and will it to the son. That is very straight forward, as is opening an account in his name and giving the debit card + PIN, and internet log on details for the bank.

Did I mention that it was straight forward, yes, I do believe I did, so what's your straight forward solution ?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:
56 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Opening a bank account is illegal without a Non-O visa?  Are you sure that it is just not the banks requirements, not laws?

It's probably not that I'm just saying if it's the banks policy to require a non-O and letter from immigration (like for BKK bank in Chiang Mai) and you hire some "agent" which skirts the the rules  you could face problems in the future.

"It's probably not..."

"I'm just saying..."

"you could face problems in the future".

SOP here, speculation.

38 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

So then please tell. I asked all banks in CM if foreigners could open an account and only BKK said yes but they required a letter from immigration. Now I hire an agent (where?) and he goes to the bank with me and now the rules don't apply? 

"I hire an agent (where?) and he goes to the bank with me and now the rules don't apply?"

Yes, that's it. 

They're (discretionary) rules, not laws.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

16 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:
42 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So when he needs to use the account (in a third party's name) for the incoming international transfer (condo purchase in his name) the transaction for his condo purchase will not match up with the bank details.   That should be very straightforward, then.

Expand  

Buy it in his dad's name and will it to the son. That is very straight forward, as is opening an account in his name and giving the debit card + PIN, and internet log on details for the bank.

Did I mention that it was straight forward, yes, I do believe I did, so what's your straight forward solution ?

And if he doesn't want it in his someone else's name?  Your "solution" is not straightforward, at all, and I did not say that I had the solution...just as you don't.

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

So then please tell. I asked all banks in CM if foreigners could open an account and only BKK said yes but they required a letter from immigration. Now I hire an agent (where?) and he goes to the bank with me and now the rules don't apply? 

You really need to do some work and educate yourself on what the agents can do for you.

Ask around - or go and visit one.

I am sure that you have been around long enough to know that, in Thailand, money can overcome almost all 'administrative barriers'. Reirement visa extensions are the most obvious one - but bank accounts are another area.

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And if he doesn't want it in his someone else's name?  Your "solution" is not straightforward, at all, and I did not say that I had the solution...just as you don't.

I don't know why you bother, really :stoner:

When actually buying a condo, there will be a Sale & Purchase Agreement (contract).

That document can be used to open an account at Bangkok Bank when in country visa exempt. The bank’s own “here’s how to work with Bangkok Bank to buy a condo as a foreigner” pamphlet shows it.

buyingcondo.pdf?la=en&hash=688DBBF0954BF

I did this a couple of months ago at the Bangkok Bank branch at Bumrungrad. They didn’t want to do it until I showed them their own pamphlet, after which they did it cheerfully. 

Edited by tai4de2
  • Haha 1

On 4/8/2023 at 12:56 AM, TimeMachine said:

Oh no. Now look forward to new rule on top of buying accident insurance. You need to buy chocolate if you want to open a bank account. Dang.

Err, I didnt have to buy accident Insurance either... just had to put in minimum 500B deposit, the account did not cost me a Satang, as said Fixed deposit a/c Kasikorn Bank, I drop em the choccys day after when I went in to get my Letter & statement to apply for my O-Visa. A friend paid an agent who is doing his Visa last week they had him meet a Bangkok bank rep at the Visa office - all in with the mandatory 1 year Insurance attached to the account cost him 9000B to open Bangkok Bank savings a/c via Visa agent, he said he could'nt be bothered messing about

Edited by Lokie
  • Thanks 1