How can I hedge against a collapsing USD?

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

What price did you buy BTC 3 years ago?

It was around $5,000. 

It is now $30,000

£900 into 0.02697 Bitcoin in mid 2021 is down 34% and now £650.

Guess I got in at the wrong time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

£900 into 0.02697 Bitcoin in mid 2021 is down 34% and now £650.

Guess I got in at the wrong time.

Well you could have taken profits in late 2021. 

Even when you buy high, just wait, at least 3 years from when you bought. 

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Well you could have taken profits in late 2021. 

Even when you buy high, just wait, at least 3 years from when you bought. 

What is to say that BTC, and any other investments will go up in three years?

Yes, if I had sold out in 2021 I would be a happier boy now.

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What is to say that BTC, and any other investments will go up in three years?

Yes, if I had sold out in 2021 I would be a happier boy now.

Do some research -  I recomend Ivan  -  I posted his youtube earlier

or 

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Do some research -  I recomend Ivan  -  I posted his youtube earlier

or 

Does he also know the winning Euromillions numbers for tomorrow?   555

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Does he also know the winning Euromillions numbers for tomorrow?   555

And he only tells what has already happened, and what HE thinks may possibly happen.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/8/2023 at 2:27 AM, pomchop said:

For all the doomsday about how horrible the US economy is under Biden it certainly appears to me that the vast majority of Americans are doing just fine, living in nice houses, driving nice cars, going on vacations, dining out often, house values at record highs, unemployment at record lows, wages creeping up, and on and on.  Sure there is inflation and that is a problem but I really don't observe the doom and gloom and the sky is falling.

the stuff I see on rumble and twitter etc ie not the wealthy controlled BS media you get on telievision, the US is the most divided cuntry in the world right now, is being taken over by lardy woke eejits and folks in the government who are solely intent on 'raping the nation' and incurring as much debt as possible.......the UK is the same, will be lucky not to be begging to the IMF in less than another year and the EU isn't far behind......Disclaimer; I hold a UK passport but don't normally live there cos of the state of the absolute hovel....

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 12:31 PM, Neeranam said:

Almost 100% this year alone. I said before that it will reach 50k very soon, and 220k in the next 2.5 years

ok soros, is your crystal ball relying on the 'fed pivot' or continued IR increases? which will almost certainly bankrupt some cuntries (not that they ain't bankrupt already eh lol)

Edited by driver52

Just now, driver52 said:

ok soros, is your crystal ball relying on the 'fed pivot' or continued IR increases? which will almost certainly bankrupt some cuntries (not that they ain't bankrupt alreay eh)

BTC price increase has really nothing to do with the USA. 

So, no.

On 4/12/2023 at 2:08 AM, FarAngMoh said:

but for now the USD is a currency that is too big to fail and a collapse would be a catastrophic event for the entire planet.

that's what they said about the banks and look at the mess it has created now.....what mess? well why are half the eastern world fed up with the US and deciding to create there own 'monetary systems' outside of USD, swift etc.......

6 hours ago, driver52 said:

that's what they said about the banks and look at the mess it has created now.....what mess? well why are half the eastern world fed up with the US and deciding to create there own 'monetary systems' outside of USD, swift etc.......

I didn’t say it was a good thing (too big to fail), it is just the reality we live in today, and it is not going to change overnight. 

And yes. you might need an alternate monetary system if you decide to wage war on a neighboring country — it’s just not considered good etiquette these days — times have changed. 

17 hours ago, driver52 said:

hi mr gecko, what do you think of the argument that the FED are raising rates NOT to control inflation but to try and save the USD?

PS I honestly believe we've had hyperinflation for years but they just lie about the numbers lol.....look at house prices for example

Thank you for your kind response. The two laugh emojis your post garnered certainly weren't deserved. To the extent that a strong dollar off-sets inflation, the Fed probably sees the strengthening impact on the US dollar of higher interest rates as a positive. I do think that the Fed and the Treasury are concerned about the dollar's eroding, and increasingly challenged, status as a reserve currency. I have been following the US dollar Mexican peso cross for a while now and I have noticed that the Mex peso seems to be strengthening irrespective of what US interest rates do, and I have started to wonder if something is going on (i.e., deals moving away from the USD as a reserve currency) might be in play. Again, thank you for your kind response.

• Love It 1

On 4/17/2023 at 4:30 PM, Neeranam said:

my man Ivan

Are your man's motives pure?   Perhaps pure greed?

Hmmmm .... what are the clues?

1. makes money if BTC goes up
  2. garners viewers (AKA makes money) on YouTube by predicting calamity in video's title

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to SCAM me. ????

I wanted to hedge against the Brazilian Real appreciating too much against the Euro ahead  of a Brazil trip. Someone knowledgeable recommended I hedge by buying a Real-denominated bond.

This being said, if the dollar loses 80% of its value soon, much more will be at stake for all of us than your puny 25k.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JackGats said:

This being said, if the dollar loses 80% of its value soon, much more will be at stake for all of us than your puny 25k.

Any US expat collecting a pension based on the US $ has a large exposure to the effects of a declining US$.

To understand your risk you need to compute the "present value" of your pension.  The present value is the lump sum equivalent of an SSA retirement pension that will be collected over your remaining lifetime.  Since SSA pensions are inflation adjusted they are called a growing lifetime annuity.  The present value computation is complicated and is intended to make it simpler to compare different financial choices.

For example the present value of a $1,000 per month Social Security benefit for an age 70 male with a life expectancy of about 14 years is about $153,000.   Most SSA pensions are substantially larger than the $1,000 I used in my example.

• 4 months later...