9near Hacker Is An Army Sergeant, Has Been Nabbed

webfact

Army Transportation Dept. asked to turn over an alleged hacker to police  

EA130A2D-2603-4E4C-A508-484F054B68D2.png

Thailand’s Cyber Crime Investigation Bureau (CCIB) has sought cooperation from the Army Transportation Department by handing over to the police a sergeant major (second class) who claimed to have access to the personal data of about 55 million Thai people, which he allegedly offered for sale.

Pol Lt-Gen Worawat Watnakornbancha, CCIB commissioner, told a press conference this afternoon (Friday) that they know the identity of the hacker and obtained a warrant for his arrest on April 2nd.

Because he is army personnel, however, police have to ask the department to have the suspect turned over to the police, in accordance with procedural practice.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/army-transportation-dept-asked-to-turn-over-an-alleged-hacker-to-police/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-04-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

15 hours ago, rbkk said:

"The suspect is currently serving as a non-commissioned army officer in Nonthaburi and is closely connected to a well-known politician."                    Very telling........ Which Ministry was hacked?

I think Ministry of Health. It was the Mor Prom site that was hacked apparently. That could mean 1000s of foreigners' details too will be vulnerable as a lot registered there for early bird Sinovac vaccinations back in 2020, if memory serves.

There's an article in a publication I can't link to (forum rules). No doubt it will appear here at a later date. Update... The same information already appears in an article on this forum entitled "Army Transportation Dept." etc.

Edited by bradiston

18 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

I think this was the Mor Prom app/database, so quite a bit of detail on vaccinated foreigners as well.

I don't think it was the Mor Prom app/database.

Edited by Puccini

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

What do you think was hacked then?

Based on information gleaned from the news article to which a link is given in the OP, I think that the hacked database is a database containing "the name and surname, ID card number, date of birth, address and phone number" of at least "55 million Thai citizens".

I do not wish to speculate as to who might have this type of database, but I do not think that the database called the "Mor Prom app/database" by another poster in this topic fits the aforementioned description.

Just another toxic member of the useless Thai army. Just another example of the army feeding on the blood of the nation. How many others? How many of the generals, army appointed ministers, senators, and top officials in the army are not engaged in profiteering? 

It is a feeding frenzy, and they are desperate for it not to end. 

Edited by spidermike007

1 hour ago, Puccini said:

Based on information gleaned from the news article to which a link is given in the OP, I think that the hacked database is a database containing "the name and surname, ID card number, date of birth, address and phone number" of at least "55 million Thai citizens".

I do not wish to speculate as to who might have this type of database, but I do not think that the database called the "Mor Prom app/database" by another poster in this topic fits the aforementioned description.

The Mor Prom app and database, which was used extensively during the pandemic, was cited as a likely source by a government minister if you read the linked article:

"Minister of Digital Economy and Society Chaiwut Thanakamanusorn offered an assurance that the suspect will be arrested, adding that authorities believe the suspect stole the information from the “Mor Prom” portal of the Ministry of Public Health."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bradiston said:

The Mor Prom app and database, which was used extensively during the pandemic, was cited as a likely source by a government minister if you read the linked article:

"Minister of Digital Economy and Society Chaiwut Thanakamanusorn offered an assurance that the suspect will be arrested, adding that authorities believe the suspect stole the information from the “Mor Prom” portal of the Ministry of Public Health."

Thank you. I browsed that article too rapidly; should have done a text search with "Mor Prom". Silly me!

21 hours ago, Puccini said:

Based on information gleaned

20 hours ago, Puccini said:

I browsed that article too rapidly

Uh-huh.

Glean: obtain (information) from various sources, often with difficulty.

Every article on this hack, including the one linked in the OP, mentioned the Mor Prom app/database.

I found those with very little "gleaning". :rolleyes