Profile | Why the first Lonely Planet Thailand travel guide author fell in love with the country and its culture

webfact

17 hours ago, webfact said:

author of the first Lonely Planet Thailand travel guide

Darn, I thought that author died in a motorcycle accident near Nana (ref. Private Dancer, by Stephen Leather) ????  (terrible book, actually, IMO. I still haven't finished it.)
Glad to know you're better than the guy in that book. ???? 

Very interesting.  Joe has done well.  We were in the same Peace Corps group (58).  I didn't see Joe much after we did the language training as I was all the way up in Loei. 

Pic is the day we arrived at Don Mueang airport mid-March 1977. Joe is toward the right side wearing dark sunglasses.1046351500_Thailandpeacecorpsgroup58march1977.jpg.5f7f66a68a5dd6e89cd9020f2f22d960.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

i still have his early versions very slim compared with bulky tomes nowadays

LP guides were the best source of reference before the internet age, i swore by them and were very helpful and always had one for the country's i was travelling to.

Travellers these days do not know how easy it is to travel compared to pre internet, personally i think the excitement of the unknown has been removed from travellers, i actually believe this myself and sadly would not ever buy another LP guide again, im actually surprised they print books in this day and age.