Climate Science Shock: Methane’s Unexpected Cooling Impact Unveiled

onthedarkside

image.png.cb3ac9e681ffb423d8661f272584dd27.png

Most climate models do not yet account for a new University of California, Riverside discovery: methane traps a great deal of heat in Earth’s atmosphere, but also creates cooling clouds that offset 30% of the heat. 

Greenhouse gases like methane create a kind of blanket in the atmosphere, trapping heat from Earth’s surface, called longwave energy, and preventing it from radiating out into space. This makes the planet hotter. 

READ MORE

https://scitechdaily.com/climate-science-shock-methanes-unexpected-cooling-impact-unveiled/

image.png.6b14999f0f4dc4303ca2044b024286d6.png

4 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Source?

Well, it's true that water vapor is a very potent greenhouse gas. But what's also true is that the atmosphere is repeatedly purged of water vapor by something called precipitation, as part of the water cycle. As far as I'm aware, there have yet to be clouds that shower us with dry ice or frozen methane. At least on planet earth. I do believe that some of the moons of Jupiter might have methane rain storms. Perhaps those who believe that this happens on earth too are confused ex residents of those distant worlds.

30 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

I read the OP as a "settled science" not being as settled as was claimed - no surprise to me yet a shock to the author, not sure why you bring conspiracy theorists into this - is it lacking metadata?

More nonsense about "settled science". I guess this kind of foolishness stems from the fact that even the most seemingly impregnable theories get overturned. Like Newton's theory of gravitation. The thing is that while relativity theory may have superseded Newton's, the fact is that Newton's theory is still good enough to  for a spaceship to rendezvous with Pluto.

And of course, modern technology depends on theories that are known to be imperfect in explaining the universe. 

As for conspiracy theories, they lie at the heart of ACC denialism. As the latest study uncovered, 99.9% of climatological research that in some way has to do with ACC, supports the theory. 4 studies out of 3000 didn't. Denialists repeatedly invoke the fact that either this is organized fakery or that there is worldwide suppression of research that doesn't agree with the consensus. Sounds like conspiracy theories to me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Oh dear, I wonder how they will spin this to tax us more and keep us within 15 minutes of our home/place of work?

Can you please share with us the source of your claim that there is a plan to  "keep us within 15 minutes of our home/place of work?" 

And your supposition that this finding will be used "to tax us more" is must another empty calumny from you.

In other words put up or...

Funny. There a topic about whether conspiracy trolls believe the nonsense they're spreading. Looks like you may be one of their victims.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, placeholder said:

The conspiracy theory denialists, who comprise virtually all of the Anthropogenic Climate Change  denialists, are going to have a hard time explaining how the alleged climate change conspirators let this one get past them. 

Maybe it's a silent one?

8 hours ago, papa al said:

No such thing as settled science.

&

H2O vapor & clouds has far greater GH effect than CO2.

There is a Brazilian scientist who says that condensing water which form clouds in the upper atmosphere has a huge cooling effect and that the vapour , which rises from forests, (transpiration) has more cooling effect than the carbon trapped by those forests. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

There is a Brazilian scientist who says that condensing water which form clouds in the upper atmosphere has a huge cooling effect and that the vapour , which rises from forests, (transpiration) has more cooling effect than the carbon trapped by those forests. 

Transpirational cooling via forests is nothing new. But clearly it's not enough. And given that the Brazilians, especially under Bolsanaro, were hellbent on destroying the Amazon, it's doing less now.

1 minute ago, papa al said:

"Conspiracy theory' is a term invented in the 1960's by FBI

to impune doubters of the Warren report which

held the JFK was killed by a single shooter, Lee  Oswald.

Well debunked.

CT is a term of ad hominem, used  against those doubting 

mainstream narratives.

Congratulations.

Sheep.

False. Recorded use of the phrase “conspiracy theory” dates back to at least 1863

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-conspiracy-theory-jfk-941578119864

The additional problem with Methane (CH4) is that it has something like a ten year life span, in the atmosphere. Although it eventually decreases by reaction we are probably releasing more than enough to compensate. Although deep mining (coal) releases much of the Methane, open surface mining (metals) does too, to a lesser extent. (Building homes, large business structures is a 'double whammy'. Not only releasing Methane while preparing foundations, concrete/cement release CO2.) And while many reports mention livestock as emitters of Methane, we humans produce and release methane gas too. The methane is produced by bacteria (methanogens) in the gastrointestinal tract. But it seems that just how much is produced in a person depends fitness, diet and other factors. So there you go fellas, expect a Methane Tax anytime now, Ha ????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

So I can start eating beef again, and I'm no longer contributing to GW, with an increased steer/cow population farting away.

Most of the methane emitted by cattle is through the mouth, not via farts.  However, as my old neighbor used to say, "A farting horse will never tire; a farting man is the one to hire."

• Like 1