Where Is This Place Located In Chiang Mai ?

Narachon

Hi all!

A couple of years ago, when I first came to Chiang Mai for the very first time back in 2002, I was taken to this really nice open air restaurant type place near the water. I was taken here by a tour guide from the city, and since then, I've totally forgot where this place is, or is located. I asked all my local friends, Thai and Non -Thai , about this place, and even described the place to them, but they either don't know, or take me to other riverside restaurant places instead. I've tried to find the place in the local guides, but since I forgot the name of the place.

( Sorry for the poor quality of the images, I did not take pictures of the place at the time, only videotape. I actually took pictures of my TV to get the still images. :D Yes I know, I could have transfered the tape to DVD to get the pictures, but I had to do this on the fly, since I'm going to catch my plane at JFK for Thailand in a few minutes.... )

pict7753lj0.jpg

pict7763lr7.jpg

pict7770kq5.jpg

pict7776gf3.jpg

I hope that someone out there would be able to recognize where this place is from my bad grainy pictures. I myself can't make out the Thai letters on the sign in the background across the river, unfortunately. I'm sure that would be a big clue to the location.

Anyway, I'll be returning to Chiang Mai in a week, and I'd really like to know where this place is!

Thanks a bottle!

:o

Yep, them pictures is bad. But, I can make out 2 of the 4 words. It's Chiang something + Ruen Pae. I know I've eaten at a place called Ruen Pae b4. Not sure where or when. Since I read Thai I'm always reading signs as I whiz by on the bike, but not really processing much more than challenging my reading skills. You may be right about the river, but I think Ruen Pae (Ruen Phae) might be this Lanna rest. I ate at out on Rign Road 1 or 2, I think headed towards San Kamphaeng or Doi Saket. In my memory you sit low, right over the water and rice fields. It's a beautiful place and has only Lanna food. Ganeg this n that, frog this n that, and also Gung Taen the jumping shrimp salad. The food was hot! I could totally be confusing one place with the name of another, but there are others like you remember, so if you don't find that one, maybe on to bigger n better this time around.

From Google

เชียงใหม่เรือนแพ Chaingmai Reunpae

Branch

1) Sunkampaeng (Chaingmai -Sunkampaeng Rd. 10 mins from the Makro junction

2) roundabout near Chaingmai city hall

From Google

เชียงใหม่เรือนแพ Chaingmai Reunpae

Branch

1) Sunkampaeng (Chaingmai -Sunkampaeng Rd. 10 mins from the Makro junction

2) roundabout near Chaingmai city hall

1 is as mentioned

2 is on the second ring road. From town take the Mae Rim road north to city hall. Turn right onto the ring road. Go over the river & Chiang Mai Ruen Pae 2 is on the right side after another kilometer or so. Nice place for a relaxed Thai meal. The owners are nice folks too.

Yep it's the original Ruen Pe which is just off the Chiang Mai Bo Sang road just before you get to the outer ring road. Unfortunately it's gone a bit down hill recently. I was there two weeks ago and won't go back. There is however a Ruen Pe 2 with the same layout on the road from the Mee Chok Market (Rimping) to the Provincial Offices. Almost opposite NIS international school. The food and service there are pretty good.

PicT070003.jpg

Chaingmai Reunpae1

114 Baanmorn Chaingmai-Sunkumpaeng Rd., T.Sunklang Sunkampaeng Chaingmai

Tel .053-338-641,053-338-800

เชียงใหม่เรือนแพ1

โทร. 053-338-641,053-338-800

114 บ้านมอญ ถ.เชียงใหม่-สันกำแพง ต.สันกลาง

สันกำแพง เชียงใหม่

The old CM-Sankhampeang road with the beautiful trees.

If you come from town and heading Bo Sang/Sankhampeang, then it's the soi/lane right before Celedon Ceramics on your left and a little before the Caltex petrol station on your right. Turn left into this soi. It's at the end of the second soi on your right.

I haven't been there for ages, so don't know how the food is now. Before I found it quite good.

Nienke

Edited by Nienke

Your photos show the Chiangmai floating restaurant just off the Sankampaeng Road. If you take the main road to Bo Sang/ Sankampaeng off the Superhighway and slow down around the eight Km mark and look for a sign that says Baan Celadon, turn left and follow the road over a small soi/canal and then take the next right. The restaurant is down the road about 100 Mtrs. Large car park, with the restaurant situated on three pontoons floating on the lake.

A really good place to eat in the hot weather, and I don't think there is anything on the menu that could be considered expensive.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this thread, I just returned from spending a month in Thailand .... And I was just too busy there to reply :D

Thanks everyone for all your replies! ( Especially thanks to BambinA ! :o You are a wealth of information! )

I wanted to check the place out while I was in Chiang Mai, but just never got around to seeing the place again. I did tell my local lady friend about the place, but she said that she wanted to take me to someplace better ( Now how can I argue with that? Besides, she had the transportation ! :D ).

Ended up at this nice Thai - oriented resturant on the Ping called " Antique House" ( I think it was called .. ). It was very nice and romantic place to have dinner, I have to admit, but next time I'm in town, I really do want to try to make it again to the Chaingmai Reunpae1 floating resturant.... :D

Now that we've got that settled, can we direct our attention to the subtitle of this thread? Places in CM in which one don't know / forgot location or name. Even worse, am I the only humanoid in Chiang Mai province who can't find his way across town? When you do get directions from a farang, it's either by streets I don't know, or by landmarks I don't know.

"Oh yea, that cobbler's shop is down Rajamatchakanatski Road, just past XiXioiol Chinese garden that's been closed for ten years, then left two sois, right after the third klong, and it's a km before the next Siam Bank ATM." Or, "First you pass Tusker's and then you turn before the speedway, and it's next to the ice cream shop that Kasinchasapatakorn used to own." Yes, I'm directionally challenged, but aren't many roads unmarked, and the name changes or has 4 spellings?

Just ate there last night, not very well lit streets to get there but paid less than 700 baht for 5 people to eat very well. The fried shrimp patties are pretty tasty (2 orders). was disappointed in the seafood in red curry as it used to be served in half a coconut instead of aluminum foil, with a sauce not dried out. the steamed fish was real yummy, the tom yum khun was humnaeh(sound of my reaction not a word) the tom gai ok I didn't partake of the fried chicken feet (2 orders)and I was the only one drinking the Chang. Incidently if you don't want ice in your beer grab that bottle which is chilled and keep it outta the servers hands. I can drink beer cold or hot, just not watered down. :o

"Oh yea, that cobbler's shop is down Rajamatchakanatski Road, just past XiXioiol Chinese garden that's been closed for ten years, then left two sois, right after the third klong, and it's a km before the next Siam Bank ATM." Or, "First you pass Tusker's and then you turn before the speedway, and it's next to the ice cream shop that Kasinchasapatakorn used to own." Yes, I'm directionally challenged, but aren't many roads unmarked, and the name changes or has 4 spellings?

I think everybody's really just as much in the dark as you are :o .