UK Pension Service - Total Farse

My pension is due to start early next year, so I checked Gateway to see my potential pension amount.

I need to buy 4 years of NI to get the full pension.

Eventually found the page to make payment, but needed to quote a UTR reference number, which I do not have.

Without this UTR it is impossible to buy missing NI years.

So although I want to pay, I cannot and my pension will be reduced because of it,

Edited by fulhamster

1 minute ago, Harveyboy said:

Ok I'm traveling at the moment will put them  on here tonight ..no probs 

The one number takes you thru to Newcastle office the other the  international one which is what you need if you are in Thailand takes you to the office in Belfast .spoken to both.. helpful

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nabbiex said:

Government gateway ID

In the past I had some difficulties to make the access to it because it prompts for UK mobile number I do not have. All I have is Thai mobile number so I gave up to attempt it. Until recently, I am surprised that I got the access to it successfully after its system sends the code to my Thai mobile number automatically. I enter the code and it is somewhat working perfectly.  

That was my experience. A couple of years back I tried to access the Gov. Gateway and got nowhere with it.

Tried again late last year and bingo ................. result , although I had to download a ' recognition ' app to get over the final hurdle. And the first couple of apps didn't work. Third time proved lucky.

Probably things have changed but I took E.R. @ 50 y/o but the company I was working for told me to me write to the UK Pensions office as soon as I got settled. I did just that and received info that I would receive another letter informing me of the calculated % I would receive at 65. Also enclosed was a form for me to complete (address bank details etc.).  After a while I received said info which also included the starting date of the pension. A few weeks before the starting date I received notification and my pension was deposited into my Thai Bank account. I receive a certificate of existence once a year (same for company pension) which I return by Registered Mail when completed. (Company pension accepts a PDF of completed form which I send by email.)

3 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

Yes, but I have no way to get it.

I have been in Thailand 20 years.

I have a Gateway account set up, but the number does not show anywhere

See my previous post and the link to the Moneysavingexpert forum, all the information as to how to obtain the reference number has been posted by numerous people on many topics, happy reading !

In my dealings with the DWP I used snail mail and found it the most effective way of corresponding.

I also started a dialogue with them 18 months prior to the date I was able to claim my state pension.

I found the service I received to be more than adequate.

I also registered on the government gateway before I left the UK.

Edited by Andycoops

2 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

The one number takes you thru to Newcastle office the other the  international one which is what you need if you are in Thailand takes you to the office in Belfast .spoken to both.. helpful

Ok wife's took over the driving just looked up numbers.. international 0044 800 731 0341..pension office normal 0044 800 731 7898 ..I spoke to these yesterday phone line open 8 am till 4 pm ..easy way go on Skype put these numbers into your contacts ..and call from there that way I'm 100% sure no charges ..H

• Like 2

OP phone them....,  I used AIS 005 number and on the blower for 30 mins.  Soon as you give them your NI number they know most things.  They will write and and tell you what pension they have decided to pay you.

I put mine in Bangkok Bank. 

Started getting it last September, and already along with many others over here got first 'Certificate of Life'.

Local Bangkok Bank manager signed mine off.......

25 minutes ago, bluemoonpattaya said:

My state pension started on the 3rd March this year, and missed out on the 10% rise by 1 month.

A few months before i applied for my pension by phone, to the International Pension Centre GOV.UK

+44 800 731 0341   I used skype and the call was free of charge, and i was on the phone for 1 hour.

You haven't missed out on the 10.1% rise - You just get the lower payment for one month. Everyone receiving a state pension has this increase automatically adjusted and you will receive this for any further payments you receive after April 6th 2023.

The 'pre April 6th 2023', full new state pension (provided you have made the necessary NI contributions) is £185.15 per week. The rise of 10.1% is a rise of £18.70 per week to £203.85. Men are eligible if born after 6th April 1951., but you could receive less if you haven’t paid sufficient NI contributions and you could receive more if you’ve deferred (increase of 1% every nine weeks or 5.8% / 52 weeks).

15 hours ago, piston broke said:

I am entitled to the UK state pension at age 64 .....

As far as I'm aware it has never been 64 (unless under ill health rules), it changed from 65 to 66 in 2016 when the government changed to the "New State Pension" at that time they also changed NI pension years from 30 to 35 to get max pension. 

11 minutes ago, brianburi said:

OP phone them....,  I used AIS 005 number and on the blower for 30 mins.  Soon as you give them your NI number they know most things.  They will write and and tell you what pension they have decided to pay you.

I put mine in Bangkok Bank. 

Started getting it last September, and already along with many others over here got first 'Certificate of Life'.

Local Bangkok Bank manager signed mine off.......

You probably already know, but just in case not - When you have told DWP that you are retired and live in Thailand, your State Pension will not increase each year.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

My pension is due to start early next year, so I checked Gateway to see my potential pension amount.

I need to buy 4 years of NI to get the full pension.

Eventually found the page to make payment, but needed to quote a UTR reference number, which I do not have.

Without this UTR it is impossible to buy missing NI years.

So although I want to pay, I cannot and my pension will be reduced because of it,

Not sure you can just pay extra NICS (buy missing years as you put it) just like that. From the gov.uk info -https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/deadlines

If you’re living abroad, read leaflet NI38 and fill in form CF83 (found at the end). Send it back to HMRC using the address on the form.

This is what I did after speaking to a pensions adviser and a few years ago it still took some months before I received a reply - now likely to be longer.

6 minutes ago, topt said:

He has if they know he lives in Thailand.........

Depending where you live.........

Yup - Excellent point and very true .

I should have added this in the mix - Especially since I posited earlier that this should be a consideration when talking to DWP in response to brianburi

15 hours ago, piston broke said:

I am entitled to the UK state pension at age 64

You clearly haven't been keeping up with the changes over the last 18 years. I'd suggest you spend a few hours using Google to get up to speed with the current rules. There's a useful topic on this subject here:

which also explains the best way to get in touch with the DWP up to 4 months before your 66th birthday to make the claim. I turn 66 next month and made the claim by phone around 6 weeks ago, with no problems and no more than a minute or two waiting to be connected.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Guderian said:

You clearly haven't been keeping up with the changes over the last 18 years. I'd suggest you spend a few hours using Google to get up to speed with the current rules. There's a useful topic on this subject here:

which also explains the best way to get in touch with the DWP up to 4 months before your 66th birthday to make the claim. I turn 66 next month and made the claim by phone around 6 weeks ago, with no problems and no more than a minute or two waiting to be connected.

Same here 

14 hours ago, piston broke said:

you have to register for a Gateway account ...... went down the line and come to the "proof of identity" - needed 2 things ...passport - ok - driving licence card - not ok (expired years ago !) - proof of recent credit transactions, old P60 slips - don't have any, so couldn't complete registration and was told to ring them....

I think that you might also get access via the Web Chat - since you have one of the issues listed for using this service and considered as technical " having problems with verifying your identity".

You need to go through the initial stages of just getting chat bot responses, but then gives an option for a live person web chat (only available in UK office hours).

40 minutes ago, brianburi said:

Soon as you give them your NI number they know most things.

This is what you need NI number. If you don't have that, then I can only recommend you contact your last or any previous employer to see if they have it. On a side note any time claiming the dole is counted as your NI gets paid. 

1 hour ago, piston broke said:

sorry - i meant 66 !  was so wound up after the farce on the phone to the Pension hotline ...

You forgot your birthday :sad: or felt like you spent 2 yrs on the phone, I know the feeling dealing with overseas banks on the phone. 

5 hours ago, bkk_mike said:

Last time I tried to get a government gateway ID in Thailand, they kept giving me a website where I had to enter the authentication code that they posted to me within 30 days of requesting it...

The problem was that the mail was franked second class, so although it got sent internationally OK, it went by boat, so that by the time it arrived it had expired.

I only ever managed to get the ID in time when I made a trip back to the UK and got it sent there...

I recently registered for government gateway using my Thai mobile number. It went trhough with no issues at all. Got my access code via text message.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bluemoonpattaya said:

My state pension started on the 3rd March this year, and missed out on the 10% rise by 1 month.

A few months before i applied for my pension by phone, to the International Pension Centre GOV.UK

+44 800 731 0341   I used skype and the call was free of charge, and i was on the phone for 1 hour.

I turned 66 on 31 March, but delayed claiming until the new rate of GBP203.85 came into effect on 6 April. Made the claim, but I will only get the rate effective at 31 March: GBP185.15, which is not inflation adjusted for retirees living in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Harveyboy said:

Ok wife's took over the driving just looked up numbers.. international 0044 800 731 0341..pension office normal 0044 800 731 7898 ..I spoke to these yesterday phone line open 8 am till 4 pm ..easy way go on Skype put these numbers into your contacts ..and call from there that way I'm 100% sure no charges ..H

The OP needs to first call the Future Pensions Centre on +44 191 218 3600. They will inform you of the amount you need to top up to get the maximum pension available for the years not fully paid. The best time to call this number, (and the DWP telephone number +44 191 218 7777 when making a claim) is at their opening, 08.00 (currently 14.00 in Thailand). You should get straight through. It's worth buying Skype to cover any prolonged calls, and I rang both places and HMRC several times.

1 hour ago, spambot said:

You haven't missed out on the 10.1% rise - You just get the lower payment for one month. Everyone receiving a state pension has this increase automatically adjusted and you will receive this for any further payments you receive after April 6th 2023.

The 'pre April 6th 2023', full new state pension (provided you have made the necessary NI contributions) is £185.15 per week. The rise of 10.1% is a rise of £18.70 per week to £203.85. Men are eligible if born after 6th April 1951., but you could receive less if you haven’t paid sufficient NI contributions and you could receive more if you’ve deferred (increase of 1% every nine weeks or 5.8% / 52 weeks).

The increase is only available to those whose 66th birthday is after 5 April 2023, if you are not a UK resident. (See above.)

My understanding is that deferment would only get you the 5.8% increase for 1 year, and only deferrment until 2025 (2 years after your 66th birthday). Thereafter, as a Thai resident, you would revert to the amount payable on your 66th birthday. 

Edited by samtam

2 minutes ago, samtam said:

I turned 66 on 31 March, but delayed claiming until the new rate of GBP203.85 came into effect on 6 April. Made the claim, but I will only get the rate effective at 31 March: GBP185.15, which is not inflation adjusted for retirees living in Thailand.

Also currently payments are taking 14 to 16 weeks to be processed, so the claim I made on 6 April will be paid in August, backdated to my 66th birthday.

2 hours ago, spambot said:

You probably already know, but just in case not - When you have told DWP that you are retired and live in Thailand, your State Pension will not increase each year.

What happens if you move from Thailand to the phiippines ? Do they back date the increases ?

3 hours ago, bluemoonpattaya said:

The State Pension is paid 4 weeks in arrears, mine was due the 10th, I won’t get the 10% till May but I will still receive 13 payments at the new rate.