Microwave not working

rak sa_ngop

My 12 year old combi microwave has stopped working. Front panel display not lighting up so no functions working and internal light also not working EXCEPT for the turntable which is happily turning away with the door open (but not when closed). So some power is getting to the unit.

Rather bizarre combination of failure so I assume somebody experienced can readily diagnose the problem? Maybe it is just a fuse failure?

Any ideas out there?

Thanks.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

When a microwave oven stops functioning it's time to buy a new one, not worth repairing or fiddling around with it.

Humm. Someone agreed with your sentiment, I didn’t. I had a very nice volume sensing microwave that I used for about 20+ years and only don’t have it now because it was a 100V machine so it got left behind.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Humm. Someone agreed with your sentiment, I didn’t. I had a very nice volume sensing microwave that I used for about 20+ years and only don’t have it now because it was a 100V machine so it got left behind.

Indeed, they can go on forever, and many do.

But when they actually stop would it be worth trying to fix a 20-year-old unit?

• Like 1

Sometimes (many times?) these tv/everything electronic small shop repairs people are brilliant. 

Took my old microwave to a small village shop and fixed. Also autotransformer in the stabiliser and an old TV and old monitor. If you find a good back yard shop, they are brilliant.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Sometimes (many times?) these tv/everything electronic small shop repairs people are brilliant. 

Took my old microwave to a small village shop and fixed. Also autotransformer in the stabiliser and an old TV and old monitor. If you find a good back yard shop, they are brilliant.

And if someone is going to get blatted, let it not be you!

There are guys in Ban-Mo re-winding Hatari fans by the roadside. I've never enquired as to the actual cost as, IMHO, if a fan winding has failed (and it's not just the overheat sensor) then it's time for a new one.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Indeed, they can go on forever, and many do.

But when they actually stop would it be worth trying to fix a 20-year-old unit?

If it is just a case of a blown fuse maybe it is. Many YouTube clips show how it can be done just accessing from the front control panel (and not getting close to the scary stuff). But with my Samsung Combo machine it looks like you need to dismantle the outer casing which looks a bit scary to me.

2 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

If it is just a case of a blown fuse maybe it is. Many YouTube clips show how it can be done just accessing from the front control panel (and not getting close to the scary stuff). But with my Samsung Combo machine it looks like you need to dismantle the outer casing which looks a bit scary to me.

Wellll, if it's the HT fuse that's popped ... 

Seriously, microwaves are lethal when they work, when they don't who knows what's been left charged and to what voltage. If you don't know exactly what you are doing, don't do it! (And if you do know, you won't be asking here).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

And if someone is going to get blatted, let it not be you!

There are guys in Ban-Mo re-winding Hatari fans by the roadside. I've never enquired as to the actual cost as, IMHO, if a fan winding has failed (and it's not just the overheat sensor) then it's time for a new one.

Fortunately the Thai’s don’t agree and their skills are excellent as I have a motor that required re-winding and was old enough that a replacement was fabricated of unobtainum. The repair cost less than 3,000 Baht and the machine lives on to thickness more wood. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Fortunately the Thai’s don’t agree and their skills are excellent as I have a motor that required re-winding and was old enough that a replacement was fabricated of unobtainum. The repair cost less than 3,000 Baht and the machine lives on to thickness more wood. 

Not a fan motor then!

11 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

OK, OK you win.

I will not comment further!

• Thumbs Up 1

If you do open it, the dangers that people talk about are 1. The big silvery capacitor that can hold lethal charge. Get a plastic handle pair of pliers and short out the two pins. This will make it safe for touching. In actuality they include a bleed resistor and should discharge themselves but apparently they fail.

2. Magnatron is dangerous because of the berylium inside of it. The berylium is hard to get to and if it's cracked and powdered up that's when it becomes dangerous. So all in all, like most things , if you use reasoning when watching several YouTube videos you will be fine. Ask your neighbour a question. Do I reason well? If the answer is no then leave it alone. I'm in Pattaya if you need more advice on a repair. I hate throwing stuff out too 

• Like 1

If you do open it, the dangers that people talk about are 1. The big silvery capacitor that can hold lethal charge. Get a plastic handle pair of pliers and short out the two pins. This will make it safe for touching. In actuality they include a bleed resistor and should discharge themselves but apparently they fail.

2. Magnatron is dangerous because of the berylium inside of it. The berylium is hard to get to and if it's cracked and powdered up that's when it becomes dangerous. So all in all, like most things , if you use reasoning when watching several YouTube videos you will be fine. Ask your neighbour a question. Do I reason well? If the answer is no then leave it alone. I'm in Pattaya if you need more advice on a repair. I hate throwing stuff out too.

First things I suspect is one of the microswitches that work with door latches. They need to be tested one at a time and tested normally open and  normally closed both ways. Also the alignment of them. Plastics warp and bend over time.

Edited by TimeMachine

4 hours ago, longball53098 said:

I am with the buy a new one group. 12 year life is a good working life for Nuke machine. The new ones are priced well and look for a decent warranty from manufacturer.

Looks like I will be buying a new one. I thought there might be a easy fix but looks like there aint.

On 4/14/2023 at 2:15 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

Mine also went doolally a couple of weeks ago. Tried getting it repaired but couldn't so I bought a new Toshiba. Beware when buying a new one as the instructions for mine didn't come in English. 

You really need an instruction sheet to operate a Microwave?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

My wife translates. But she's not the sharpest knife in the box. So will look on 'Google'.

Yep, you can download manuals online for most things, which I have done in the past and kept on file.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Looks like I will be buying a new one. I thought there might be a easy fix but looks like there aint.

Just drop it off to me. I'll make sure it doesn't get thrown into the tip heap. Saving the world one device at a time.

20 hours ago, carlyai said:

He always wins. ????

Nope.... just digs the hole for himself deeper and deeper, no way back.

Some just can't be told and as such get the "label" know it all, know nothing.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1