Really Wish I Hadn't Invited My Friend To Visit

Brewster67

11 hours ago, n00dle said:

you have just decribed half the forum that decided to settle in a thai village without understanding so much as a word of thai.

I try to speak Thai but nobody understands me so I've mostly given up. I just can't remember the tones.

Edited by Lemsta69

21 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I try to speak Thai but nobody understands me so I've mostly given up. I just can't remember the tones.

I have met many foreigners who think they speak fluent thai, but my wife say they do not. We all know how foreigners in our home countries sounds like, even lived there for many years, not always impressive

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sometimes I look at them just like other pictures from people and events.

Did you ever take a picture of a girl you liked? What do you do with it?

The difference in bars is that they are often dancing with bikinis or sexy uniforms. I like that.

I don't have any social media account to post any of those pictures. I also don't share them in any other way. They are just personal reminders like pictures used to be before the internet. 

I post here from time to time pictures of sexy girls. All those pictures are already on the internet, this is where I have them from (links of saved). I don't publish private pictures. 

angelwitch-nana-plaza-2.jpg.032ccdbd1a9c274fe68f96798e5f1287.jpg

Im quite shocked the admins allow such pictures without source and photographer credits. Also those who share personal pictures from red light districts often without consent from the people who are in the picture. 

at least this picture in the quote have a watermark/logo 

Edited by Hummin

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

Well then you have made some piss poor decisions, haven't you. 

Not sure who I pity more, you for willingly putting themselves in your situation or the guy who gave your post a like.

Now that's a huge deflection from what I said, isn't it!

Did I say I cared about the old biddies or my MIL? I enjoyed living in the village till I didn't and then I moved to Lamphun.

5 hours ago, Hummin said:

Im quite shocked the admins allow such pictures without source and photographer credits. Also those who share personal pictures from red light districts often without consent from the people who are in the picture. 

It seems most pictures, not just from girls, are somewhere from the internet. Linking to those pictures or putting copies of those pictures in other publications is what "everybody" seems to do.

And like I wrote earlier: I have some pictures which I made myself, but I never published them or plan to do that in the future. They are just personal memories.  

7 hours ago, Hummin said:

@OneMoreFarang Yeah cruising Patpong with a paparazzi style camera is pretty normal.  “ Ooh .. yeah  that’s it baby ooh oh yeah the camera loves ya !’ Wait till I get to my dark room and get these developed ????

I film lots of situations on my phone and upload them to my YouTube channel, receiving in some cases more than five views, from my family,. And sometimes I may be with a local and I ask questions about the situation and receive answers. But I have never had the barefaced cheek to point the lens at someones face. And I wouldn’t ask because a lot of people would agree out of politeness, these lot will go along with most things like 5 jabs. 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems most pictures, not just from girls, are somewhere from the internet. Linking to those pictures or putting copies of those pictures in other publications is what "everybody" seems to do.

And like I wrote earlier: I have some pictures which I made myself, but I never published them or plan to do that in the future. They are just personal memories.  

I just hope you mopped the floor after 

9 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

9 hours ago, Hummin said:

I have met many foreigners who think they speak fluent thai, but my wife say they do not. We all know how foreigners in our home countries sounds like, even lived there for many years, not always impressive

My 3 penneth. 

I had to have a chuckle when your wife has to tells you they are not fluent.

Anyway, I’m not at the level of that guy who always mentions in every post “and speak fu67ing ‘ good ‘ Thai“. 

But I got a book about 15 years ago called ‘ Teach Yourself Thai ‘. I was lucky to have chosen that book written by David Smyth, I wonder where he is and if he’s still alive now ? 

Early on he dismisses the idea of proceeding in learning speaking without learning to read Thai. I’m and engineer who fixes machines with electrical schematics diagrams and love to work out how things work so when I came ( here )  15 years ago to visit my Dad ( another tale ). I saw the tie writing on the signs, which looked very interesting and difficult to decipher. I’m going to work this lot out I thought.

When I went back to the UK, I stumbled across that book in Waterstones and spent the next six months learning.  The next time I went back I went back to HuaHin which was near where my dad was. After about a week of confusion I finally came to the conclusion that these people don’t speak the language I’ve been learning, I don’t know what language it is they are speaking and I don’t recognise one word that anyone is saying from the book and I’ve been studying for the last six months. I carried on learning for a couple of years but the frequency of picking up a book dropped off. And years ago I stopped actively learning. 

It’s been an interesting journey of discovery and being able to converse with the locals and more generally Vendors in town has made the last two year stint more of an interesting experience. Also I have had the 5 year old here so I have had him introducing a new word most days, I just can’t ask him “ is that Thai or Isaan language? “ like I can the girlfriend coz he has no concept there are two languages. 

The level I am out now I can read all menus in any shop, but I cannot understand a newspaper can pick lots of words out but newspapers are another Level. 

I don’t speak the tones. I know all the tone marks and I know the concept that there are three classes of consonance, and if you have different tone marks with different classes of consonants the tone of the word changes in tone. The way my memory works. I just cannot remember the tone or sound. I can’t remember what a load Tone is which is used in the word ‘New’ and a high tone used in the word ‘No’ think like a child has asked for him to order a toy excavator 40 times “ Mai !! “ but not a hell of a lot more. 

When I was in my HuaHin’s after hours Nancy Bar years ago and  I met an old guy and he gave me some advice and it works. The way the Thai persons brain works is they are looking for the last word of any string of words to be of the correct sound. If your think about a phrase or sentence with say 6 words the Thais don’t pronounce each word individually in the correct tone. They fire out a load of words and the last word will have some flourish in the end. But what I found is if I put some words together with a resemblance of a Thai accent , without mimicking the Thai accent your going nowhere so the shy look at the ground can’t make eye contact 60 ups are going to struggle, unfortunately. The secret then is to end the sentence if it has a questioning motive, which most sentences do, with a question word like Mai ? Or Bor ? Or my fave Chai Mai ? Or Le Bao ? Or up in Isaan a shortened Bor is a shortening to a quick Buh. The locals who had no idea what you were talking about suddenly hear the previous words in succession including more words than necessary to give the sentence context then the capping off with Mai , Chai Mai , Bor or Kao Jai Mai ? etc which a Thai version of “ yer get me ? Does that make sense “ etc where a statement suddenly becomes a question of do you get what I just said.

Obviously I’ve had some practice over the last 4 years on and off in Isaan raising a now 5 year old. Also I’m abit of a mimic and like to have to fun and I will copy the way people speak. I once went a bit far mimicking a welsh guy in Hua Hin once and after a week he pulled a knuckle duster on me , that’s another story. 

These courses you see , for me , are 8ull<deleted>. If they get you to use the letter R then walk away. Those courses as far as I can imagine are aimed at people who are going to be working in an office in Sukhumvit. And at break time he/

Her won’t understand a word of what being said as Pim and Dah go at it in the Khon Khen dialect. But I was lucky in that I learned the Central Bangkok Language first so I know that they may say two words starting with L in succession but one of them is actually spelt with an R but has been changed. 

There is a lot of Guff in learning Thai and a lot of it is not required I just wish I could have met me 10 years ago and told me what not to concentrate on and what to concentrate on. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stevey said:

My 3 penneth. 

I had to have a chuckle when your wife has to tells you they are not fluent.

Anyway, I’m not at the level of that guy who always mentions in every post “and speak fu67ing ‘ good ‘ Thai“. 

But I got a book about 15 years ago called ‘ Teach Yourself Thai ‘. I was lucky to have chosen that book written by David Smyth, I wonder where he is and if he’s still alive now ? 

Early on he dismisses the idea of proceeding in learning speaking without learning to read Thai. I’m and engineer who fixes machines with electrical schematics diagrams and love to work out how things work so when I came ( here )  15 years ago to visit my Dad ( another tale ). I saw the tie writing on the signs, which looked very interesting and difficult to decipher. I’m going to work this lot out I thought.

When I went back to the UK, I stumbled across that book in Waterstones and spent the next six months learning.  The next time I went back I went back to HuaHin which was near where my dad was. After about a week of confusion I finally came to the conclusion that these people don’t speak the language I’ve been learning, I don’t know what language it is they are speaking and I don’t recognise one word that anyone is saying from the book and I’ve been studying for the last six months. I carried on learning for a couple of years but the frequency of picking up a book dropped off. And years ago I stopped actively learning. 

It’s been an interesting journey of discovery and being able to converse with the locals and more generally Vendors in town has made the last two year stint more of an interesting experience. Also I have had the 5 year old here so I have had him introducing a new word most days, I just can’t ask him “ is that Thai or Isaan language? “ like I can the girlfriend coz he has no concept there are two languages. 

The level I am out now I can read all menus in any shop, but I cannot understand a newspaper can pick lots of words out but newspapers are another Level. 

I don’t speak the tones. I know all the tone marks and I know the concept that there are three classes of consonance, and if you have different tone marks with different classes of consonants the tone of the word changes in tone. The way my memory works. I just cannot remember the tone or sound. I can’t remember what a load Tone is which is used in the word ‘New’ and a high tone used in the word ‘No’ think like a child has asked for him to order a toy excavator 40 times “ Mai !! “ but not a hell of a lot more. 

When I was in my HuaHin’s after hours Nancy Bar years ago and  I met an old guy and he gave me some advice and it works. The way the Thai persons brain works is they are looking for the last word of any string of words to be of the correct sound. If your think about a phrase or sentence with say 6 words the Thais don’t pronounce each word individually in the correct tone. They fire out a load of words and the last word will have some flourish in the end. But what I found is if I put some words together with a resemblance of a Thai accent , without mimicking the Thai accent your going nowhere so the shy look at the ground can’t make eye contact 60 ups are going to struggle, unfortunately. The secret then is to end the sentence if it has a questioning motive, which most sentences do, with a question word like Mai ? Or Bor ? Or my fave Chai Mai ? Or Le Bao ? Or up in Isaan a shortened Bor is a shortening to a quick Buh. The locals who had no idea what you were talking about suddenly hear the previous words in succession including more words than necessary to give the sentence context then the capping off with Mai , Chai Mai , Bor or Kao Jai Mai ? etc which a Thai version of “ yer get me ? Does that make sense “ etc where a statement suddenly becomes a question of do you get what I just said.

Obviously I’ve had some practice over the last 4 years on and off in Isaan raising a now 5 year old. Also I’m abit of a mimic and like to have to fun and I will copy the way people speak. I once went a bit far mimicking a welsh guy in Hua Hin once and after a week he pulled a knuckle duster on me , that’s another story. 

These courses you see , for me , are 8ull<deleted>. If they get you to use the letter R then walk away. Those courses as far as I can imagine are aimed at people who are going to be working in an office in Sukhumvit. And at break time he/

Her won’t understand a word of what being said as Pim and Dah go at it in the Khon Khen dialect. But I was lucky in that I learned the Central Bangkok Language first so I know that they may say two words starting with L in succession but one of them is actually spelt with an R but has been changed. 

There is a lot of Guff in learning Thai and a lot of it is not required I just wish I could have met me 10 years ago and told me what not to concentrate on and what to concentrate on. 

They usually brag about their language skill out of the blue, and I ask out of curiosity my wife how fluent they are. I know a few who speaks almost fluent thai, but they are younger, lived and worked here with Thai for a decade or more. 

If we had or planned to have kids, learning thai would have been a priority. I have a wife and a few Thai friends who speak decent english, thats enough for me

4 hours ago, Stevey said:

@OneMoreFarang Yeah cruising Patpong with a paparazzi style camera is pretty normal.  “ Ooh .. yeah  that’s it baby ooh oh yeah the camera loves ya !’ Wait till I get to my dark room and get these developed ????

I film lots of situations on my phone and upload them to my YouTube channel, receiving in some cases more than five views, from my family,. And sometimes I may be with a local and I ask questions about the situation and receive answers. But I have never had the barefaced cheek to point the lens at someones face. And I wouldn’t ask because a lot of people would agree out of politeness, these lot will go along with most things like 5 jabs. 

Believe it or not, lots of girls like to play the photo model. 

But obviously it's up to you which pictures you take and what you publish. Better less than more is definitely a good idea. 

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Believe it or not, lots of girls like to play the photo model. 

But obviously it's up to you which pictures you take and what you publish. Better less than more is definitely a good idea. 

The girls like attention that sells their products as long they play along. Some girls is good at getting their business rolling, Simple as that even you do not paying them, it is their attitude who gives them attention not only for the camera. 

• Like 1