Pheu Thai’s Popularity Might Ebb Over Digital Wallet Policy

webfact

image.jpeg

A representative image of Pheu Thai’s  campaign-pledged 10,000-baht digital wallet policy. Credit: Matichon

By Thai Newsroom Reporters

THE PHEU THAI COULD probably lose their sustained popularity among constituents nationwide should the liberal party have to borrow money to fund their campaign-pledged 10,000-baht digital wallet policy, partisan sources said Monday (Apr.17).

The Pheu Thai has today submitted facts and figures pertaining to the party’s promised populist policy, among others, to provide a maximum of 10,000 baht in digital wallet for each of an estimated 54 million adolescents and adults throughout the country to buy goods and services in a radius of four kilometres from their census-registered home within six months on condition that the liberal party become government after the nationwide election.

But the Pheu Thai legal team, headed by Chusak Sirinil, has been considerably concerned over the possibility that the party, of which deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is invariably viewed as de facto boss, might lose their popularity to some extent if the people assumed that no less than 200 billion baht out of a total of about 540 billion baht in funding to cover their populist campaign would only be procured through loans, the partisan sources said.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/04/17/pheu-thais-popularity-might-ebb-over-digital-wallet-policy/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-04-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cncltd1973 said:

yeah, or, hear me out, it might be a raging success. the thais I know will take the 10k and not worry if the gov't will take a loan since they have loans up to their necks while the gov't has smooth sailing ahead

No I think it is the new digital central bank money. No need for a loan, you can create it out of nothing. (Of course the consequences are a disaster, but who cares tomorrow)

• Like 1

The last 3 years gave seen the government rolled out a series of packages to ease the impact of the people like the 5,000 B per month to temporary and self employed workers for as long as 6 months. People get so use to free money and with the election looming, all key political parties are promising to the 50 m voters almost everything from steep increases in cash handouts and wages to suspending debt. Pledges from 9 major parties so far required about 3.14 T Baht per year.  UTN pledge to triple cash handouts to welfare cardholders to 1,000B/month more than PPRP of 700B/month. It really just comes down to who's offering more money. With the expected increase in revenue and the reduction of state spending, it may is left to be seen whether the freebies are sustainable. Doubt the freesbies will affect any party's popularity. People are used to free money in last 3 years.  

• Thumbs Up 1

My wife just went to a political rally up here in issan and they gave everyone 100 baht and there is another one every day this week where they give out money talk about vote buying but this is Thailand

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How many of Thaksin voters worry where the money comes from which he gives to them or promises to give them?

How many people have even an idea how government spending works?

Stupid and uniformed people will vote for the person/party who gives them money. That's what they want.

There is no point of discussing what these people think. They don't.

That fact that your beloved junta is unable to outwit “stupid and uninformed” people indicates that they themselves are stupid and uninformed.

3 hours ago, ozz1 said:

My wife just went to a political rally up here in issan and they gave everyone 100 baht and there is another one every day this week where they give out money talk about vote buying but this is Thailand

Do they also give red shirts to everybody? 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

yeah, or, hear me out, it might be a raging success. the thais I know will take the 10k and not worry if the gov't will take a loan since they have loans up to their necks while the gov't has smooth sailing ahead

According to the article, they wouldn't all get 10k. Up to 10k, it says. 10 or 50 or 100 are up to 10k, for example.