IDP 60 day rule?

kwilco

52 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Used to be 90 days you could drive with your foreign licence supported by IDP.

According to the Land Traffic Act, B.E. 2522 (1979) and its amendments, the 60-day period for driving in Thailand with a foreign driving license or IDP does not have to be continuous. In other words, if a foreigner enters Thailand and drives a motor vehicle using their foreign driving license or IDP for 30 days, leaves the country, and then returns at a later date, they can continue to drive for another 30 days on the same license or IDP.

However, it's important to note that the 60-day period is cumulative and cannot be reset by leaving and re-entering the country multiple times. For example, if a foreigner enters Thailand and drives for 30 days, leaves and returns a week later, and then drives for another 30 days, they will have exceeded the 60-day limit and will need to obtain a Thai driving license to continue driving legally in Thailand..

I wonder if this is still in force?

Edited by kwilco

An IDP is just a copy/translation of your national licence, and isn't required in Thailand for most (English language) national licences.  Some Thai police officers might disagree, but then they also don't seem to care about helmet or seat belt laws either!

You can only (legally) use your national licence for a determined period and then you should convert your national licence to a Thai licence.

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

An IDP is just a copy/translation of your national licence, and isn't required in Thailand for most (English language) national licences.  Some Thai police officers might disagree, but then they also don't seem to care about helmet or seat belt laws either!

You can only (legally) use your national licence for a determined period and then you should convert your national licence to a Thai licence.

Since Thailand ratified the 1968 Vienna convention in May 2020, I don't think your point about IDP stands anymore.. 

That "legal period seems to be 60 days!?!?!

There is the issue of enforcement of any law in Thailand

But the other issue arises in the case of an incident - the insurances company may decide not to cover you if your licence has gone over this period or you don't have an IDP.

4 hours ago, transam said:

I thought it was 90 days, but who would know you had accumulated 90 days over a period, who keeps track.

But, a farangy on a long stay visa and driving, would be in the cross-hairs if a road problem...

If police or insurance wanted to check - (e.g. after a crash) they could just look at your passport and stamps and the issue date on your IDP?

44 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Since Thailand ratified the 1968 Vienna convention in May 2020, I don't think your point about IDP stands anymore.. 

That "legal period seems to be 60 days!?!?!

There is the issue of enforcement of any law in Thailand

But the other issue arises in the case of an incident - the insurances company may decide not to cover you if your licence has gone over this period or you don't have an IDP.

If police or insurance wanted to check - (e.g. after a crash) they could just look at your passport and stamps and the issue date on your IDP?

So what you're saying is that having been here 6 months now but not driven, I am not legal to drive a car even though I have license and IDP? Might just make sense in as far as only 'valid' for 60 days after entry. But when I return in September I'm not legal either? 

Any lawyers around can clarify this? Doesn't seem to make sense. It means even a tourist on 30 days extension can't hire a car after 60 days. Or one who's on multi-entry TR likewise on re-entry.

• Like 1

As for us Beloved Brits... a bonus of Brexit is UK IDP now valid for three yrs from date of issue just to throw in the mix lol...

I always thought it was 3 months as after that you cease becoming a tourist or sumat along them lines, so you should take the Thai licences for Car & bike or what ever you choose for you, its a laf anyway or I should say an experiance (You say Deng Mr, Uhh me oh - jai Passed!) 555

Edited by Lokie

4 hours ago, Lokie said:

As for us Beloved Brits... a bonus of Brexit is UK IDP now valid for three yrs from date of issue

Nothing to do with Brexit - IDPs are issued according to the treaty of the country you are visiting. Thailand has ratified the Vienna convention and the IDP is related to that. There are 5 year IDPs for some countries all available in the EU - but an EU D/L gets it just as easily and you don't need one for EU countries with one of them.. UK holders don't yet need an IDP for the EU - but they can only drive for limited periods on a UK licence.

If you live and drive in an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you will eventually need to exchange your driving licence for a local one.

If you have a Thai D/L - you can get a 5 yr IDP for visiting the UK. However, regardless of the length of time on your IDP. it is only valid as long as the licence it covers and for the categories on the IDP.

I believe here are a lot of expats whose home licence has expired but they incorrectly think their IDP is still valid.

Edited by kwilco
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kwilco said:

There are 5 year IDPs for some countries

5 yr? Can you give an example?

The 1968 convention allows three years. And that's what you get in many European countries.

1926 and 1949 convention is (was) for one year.

Germanys biggest Motor Club states that for travel to Thailand an IDP in addition to EU license is necessary.

I wouldn't take a chance when the s..t hits the fan.

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

5 yr? Can you give an example?

The 1968 convention allows three years. And that's what you get in many European countries.

1926 and 1949 convention is (was) for one year.

Germanys biggest Motor Club states that for travel to Thailand an IDP in addition to EU license is necessary.

I wouldn't take a chance when the s..t hits the fan.

The example I had was an IDP held by a Thai citizen in the UK. It was issued by DLT.

25 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Well this is what I'm asking, but just a gsunsay isn't sufficient. What is the law? Where can we fund it?

That's the law covering driving licenses: http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/law/law2/%C301/%C301-20-9999-update.pdf

Section 42 covers driving using a foreign license / IDP.

มําตรํา ๔๒ ผู้ขับรถต้องได้รับใบอนุญําตขับรถและต้องมีใบอนุญําตขับรถและสําเนํา
ภําพถ่ํายใบคู่มือจดทะเบียนรถในขณะขับหรือควบคุมผู้ฝึกหัดขับรถเพื่อแสดงต่อเจ้ําพนักงํานได้ทันที
เว้นแต่ผู้ฝึกหัดขับรถยนต์ตํามมําตรํา ๕๗
ในกรณีที่ผู้ขับรถเป็นคนต่ํางด้ําวซึ่งได้รับอนุญําตให้อยู่ในรําชอําณําจักรเป็นกําร
ชั่วครําวตํามกฎหมํายว่ําด้วยคนเข้ําเมือง ผู้ขับรถซึ่งเป็นคนต่ํางด้ําวนั้นจะใช้ใบอนุญําตขับรถตําม
มําตรํา ๔๒ ทวิ ขับรถในรําชอําณําจักรก็ได้ และในกรณีนี้จะต้องมีใบอนุญําตขับรถดังกล่ําวพร้อมด้วย
เอกสํารตํามที่ระบุไว้ในอนุสัญญําและหรือควํามตกลงที่มีอยู่ระหว่ํางรัฐบําลไทยกับรัฐบําลของประเทศ
นั้น ๆ เพื่อแสดงต่อเจ้ําพนักงํานได้ทันที๔๗

มําตรํา ๔๒ ทวิ๔๘ ในกรณีที่มีควํามตกลงระหว่ํางรัฐบําลไทยและรัฐบําลต่ํางประเทศ
ว่ําด้วยกํารยอมรับใบอนุญําตขับรถภํายในประเทศซึ่งกันและกัน คนต่ํางด้ําวซึ่งได้รับอนุญําตให้อยู่ใน
รําชอําณําจักรเป็นกํารชั่วครําวตํามกฎหมํายว่ําด้วยคนเข้ําเมือง และมีใบอนุญําตขับรถที่ออกโดย
พนักงํานเจ้ําหน้ําที่หรือสมําคมยํานยนต์ที่ได้รับอนุญําตจํากรัฐบําลของประเทศที่มีควํามตกลงดังกล่ําว
กับรัฐบําลไทย อําจใช้ใบอนุญําตขับรถของประเทศนั้นขับรถในรําชอําณําจักรได้ตํามประเภทและชนิด
ของรถที่ระบุไว้ในใบอนุญําตขับรถนั้น แต่ต้องปฏิบัติตํามอนุสัญญําและหรือควํามตกลงที่มีอยู่ระหว่ําง
รัฐบําลไทยกับรัฐบําลของประเทศนั้น ๆ และตํามบทบัญญัติทั้งหลํายในส่วนที่เกี่ยวกับหน้ําที่ของผู้ขับ
รถตํามพระรําชบัญญัตินี้

Google translate:

Section 42 The driver must obtain a driving license and must have a driving license and a copy. Take a photo of the car registration manual while driving or supervising the driver's trainee to show to the staff immediately. Except for those practicing to drive under the law 57 In case the driver is a foreigner who is permitted to stay in the Kingdom temporary under the immigration law The driver who is an alien will use a license to drive under Section 42 bis may drive a car in the Kingdom And in this case, such driving license must be accompanied. Documents as specified in existing conventions and/or agreements between the Thai government and the government of the country. in order to show to the staff immediately47

Section 42 bis 48 In case there is an agreement between the Thai government and a foreign government Regarding acceptance of driving licenses within each other's countries Aliens who are permitted to live in Kingdom is a temporary act under immigration law. and have a driving license issued by Officials or motor associations that are licensed by the government of the countries that have such agreements. with the Thai government May use the driving license of that country to drive in the Kingdom according to the category and type. of the vehicle specified in the driving license provided that the existing Conventions and/or Agreements between Thai government and the government of that country and in accordance with all provisions in relation to the duty of the driver. Vehicles under this Act

As you can see, no 60 day limit.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

That's the law covering driving licenses: http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/law/law2/%C301/%C301-20-9999-update.pdf

Section 42 covers driving using a foreign license / IDP.

Google translate:

As you can see, no 60 day limit.

No mention of the Vienna Convention either.

When was this updated?

Edited by kwilco

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

The Vienna Convention is covered under "existing conventions and/or agreements between the Thai government and the government of the country", no need to call it by name.

However it changed the need for and type of IDP required and stipulated a few exceptions for Thailand re classification of "motorcycle"

Which page/paragraph is the driving licence referred to?

As far as I can see the section in English you refer to is from 1979 but there has been amendments - do you know anything about these?

Edited by kwilco

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

As far as I can see the section in English you refer to is from 1979 but there has been amendments - do you know anything about these?

The law is from 1979, not the PDF file.

The PDF file has been updated over time, the amendments are referenced in the footer of the relevant pages.

As you can see from the last page, the latest amendments were made in 2019 (or at least the PDF was updated in 2019).

Edited by FriendlyFarang

On 4/20/2023 at 1:24 PM, kwilco said:

Nothing to do with Brexit - IDPs are issued according to the treaty of the country you are visiting. Thailand has ratified the Vienna convention and the IDP is related to that. There are 5 year IDPs for some countries all available in the EU - but an EU D/L gets it just as easily and you don't need one for EU countries with one of them.. UK holders don't yet need an IDP for the EU - but they can only drive for limited periods on a UK licence.

If you live and drive in an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you will eventually need to exchange your driving licence for a local one.

If you have a Thai D/L - you can get a 5 yr IDP for visiting the UK. However, regardless of the length of time on your IDP. it is only valid as long as the licence it covers and for the categories on the IDP.

I believe here are a lot of expats whose home licence has expired but they incorrectly think their IDP is still valid.

Tell that to the O'l Bag in our local Post Office Mr Billy Big Potatoe'

In past my UK IDP was only valid 1 year (had a few over the years all 1 yr...) Last yr its valid now 3 years as a direct result of Brexit thats what the old dear said was the reason, thats good enough for me... My IDP is three years now you can quote what ever you want British PO issue 3 years IDP to UK Citizens travelling to Thailand, but yes if you living here just get a Thai one, easy

1 hour ago, Lokie said:

Tell that to the O'l Bag in our local Post Office Mr Billy Big Potatoe'

In past my UK IDP was only valid 1 year (had a few over the years all 1 yr...) Last yr its valid now 3 years as a direct result of Brexit thats what the old dear said was the reason, thats good enough for me... My IDP is three years now you can quote what ever you want British PO issue 3 years IDP to UK Citizens travelling to Thailand, but yes if you living here just get a Thai one, easy

...and so does everyone else.

5 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

The law is from 1979, not the PDF file.

The PDF file has been updated over time, the amendments are referenced in the footer of the relevant pages.

As you can see from the last page, the latest amendments were made in 2019 (or at least the PDF was updated in 2019).

No I can't see - however the ratification of the Vienna Convention was in 2020.

I can't see which amendment is to do with the driving licences - either IDP or 60 or 90 days.

9 hours ago, kwilco said:

No I can't see - however the ratification of the Vienna Convention was in 2020.

I can't see which amendment is to do with the driving licences - either IDP or 60 or 90 days.

Amendments number 47 and 48 in the PDF file which I posted above amended the sections covering usage of a foreign driving license.