Importing your own motorcycle.

Hugh Cow

Does anyone have or no of any riders with a Yamaha V star? Doesnt matter what size. I have an 1100 in Oz and am seriously thinking of importing it. Yes fools rush in where angels fear to tread and yes I know it wont be cheap. I have been told that it might be possible to bring it in piece by piece and rebuild it here. If nothing else I will enjoy the rebuild as a hobby.

Has anyone tried bringing in a motorcycle in parts or has anyone gone to the trouble of importing a whole bike. Yes I do realise It is going to be a lot of messing around but I do love my bike and can afford the most likely outrageous cost. It is 20 years old and in mint condition with low Ks, so I'm hoping that will help. I you're going to say don't do it, please dont waste your breath and save the .2 grams of carbon each response emits. If I were a sensible person who would take sensible advice I wouldn't be considering it, So feel free to walk away in disgust at my stupidity. I'm hoping there is someone else that does things against the odds a fraternal brother(or sister) in stupidity if you will. Or there is an importer that can do it for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Hummin said:

in worst case it dissapears in custom, or it will be detained, and you have to buy it back on an auction, as one had to do a few years back, and it was well organized by an agent. He got his green book now on his HD he could not let go. This was before covid. I just cant understand anyone get attached to a bike in that way, but, hey

How much did it cost him doing it through an agent as I guess you have e just given OP the green light for an ucler. ????????????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

How much did it cost him doing it through an agent as I guess you have e just given OP the green light for an ucler. ????????????

I have no idea, and he said it was a true nightmare. The only reason he did it, it was a gift from his wife and for that reason important to him. The guy is American and live or lived in Phuket at the time I met him. Maybe some others know him and can fill in the details. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

A few years back? Pre- August 2021?

This seems very clear on the matter:

Thailand: Introduced import ban on used motorcycles

On 11 August 2021, Thailand issued the Ministry of Commerce Notification B.E. 2564 (2021) to ban the import of used motorcycles

The affected products included used motorcycle, electric motorcycle, moped, bicycle fitted with auxiliary motor (electric bike) under HS code 87.11, and used antique motorcycle with age more than 100 years old, under HS code 97.06.

Used motorcycles mean motorcycles under the definition above-mentioned which have been used and should be goods prohibited from being imported into Thailand according to the Notification.

The regulation entered into force on 11 August 2021

yes, before covid

58 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I have no idea, and he said it was a true nightmare. The only reason he did it, it was a gift from his wife and for that reason important to him. The guy is American and live or lived in Phuket at the time I met him. Maybe some others know him and can fill in the details. 

The experience I had was enquiring about getting a green book for my grey bike CB400SF. 

I had got the bike to like new condition engine 7 years old frame 8 years old.

Back then you had to go Bangkok to enquire and make arrangements for the bike to be inspected at a fee of 27,000 baht if they found the slightest thing wrong you had to pay another 27,000 baht, other cost from memory was 24,000 amin charges and 35,000 registering and getting green book and plate number. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Hugh Cow said:

Doesnt matter what size.

Yes it does.........

22 hours ago, Hugh Cow said:

I have an 1100 in Oz and am seriously thinking of importing it.

Think again...it'll cost an arm and a leg.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bluejets said:

No, they are a wake up to that little diversion yonks ago.

Seems you are one of those who will not heed well educated advice, know all know everything, Norm in other words, so go for it and we'll all sit back and watch your stupidity for free.

Plenty of 1100 cc bikes to chose from these days here in Thailand for sale.

I wanted my 1992 Fireblade here in Thailand from UK back in 2005 after enquiries the costs were exstorsinate to get it to Thailand from UK let alone, go through the process and costs of getting a green book for it. 

I found and got a 1993 Fireblade here in Thailand in the end and luv it to bits. 

Edited by Kwasaki

Excuse my Euro-centric bike snobbery but why the h@ll would you spend years and untold cash importing an old, old Jap bike piece by piece, be unable to ever register and insure it here when you can buy a newer, far better bike for less that either the part and rebuild impossible option, or for the price of a bike here (even with the insane tariffs) ?

Go buy yourself a newer model here, with far superior handling, suspension, braking, fuel efficiency and just as much torque. 

Go insane and buy a sick as can be Ducati or some other truly regal marque bike.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

Excuse my Euro-centric bike snobbery but why the h@ll would you spend years and untold cash importing an old, old Jap bike piece by piece, be unable to ever register and insure it here when you can buy a newer, far better bike for less that either the part and rebuild impossible option, or for the price of a bike here (even with the insane tariffs) ?

Go buy yourself a newer model here, with far superior handling, suspension, braking, fuel efficiency and just as much torque. 

Go insane and buy a sick as can be Ducati or some other truly regal marque bike.

Its a 1100 Yam.

If the same make/model was ever sold in Thailand then the OP could buy a worn out one here with the paperwork & then strip it and swap all the bits over.  He may even be able to temporarily export the Thai bike to Oz for refurbishment, do the swap over in Oz and bring back the refurbished bike as sending items out of the Kingdom temporarily for repair work may be permitted?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1