Importing your own motorcycle.

Hugh Cow

Possibly OP has got the message - after all, the August 2021 law prohibiting import has been posted three times now.

4. Consequence of Violation
Any violated importation of used motorcycle therein said motorcycle shall be destroyed by the Customs Department accordingly.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have done this.

I imported a 1969 Honda C50 in parts.  It has done 10,000 miles from new.  I knew it could never be registered here.

I did it for purely sentimental reasons as it belonged to my late father.

I have ridden it a few times but it is not really suitable for modern road conditions.  Too slow, 6v electrics and poor suspension by modern standards.

3 hours ago, In the jungle said:

I have done this.

I imported a 1969 Honda C50 in parts.  It has done 10,000 miles from new.  I knew it could never be registered here.

I did it for purely sentimental reasons as it belonged to my late father.

I have ridden it a few times but it is not really suitable for modern road conditions.  Too slow, 6v electrics and poor suspension by modern standards.

It can't be done now. 

10 hours ago, Homburg said:

If the same make/model was ever sold in Thailand then the OP could buy a worn out one here with the paperwork & then strip it and swap all the bits over.  He may even be able to temporarily export the Thai bike to Oz for refurbishment, do the swap over in Oz and bring back the refurbished bike as sending items out of the Kingdom temporarily for repair work may be permitted?

If it were possible to that how would OP keep the Thai registered engine number and frame VIN number. 

5 hours ago, Homburg said:

The "identity" of a bike is the frame. This has the VIN. Generally all other parts can be changed without changing the identity.  This is reasonable because if you need, say, to replace the muffler or the seat etc., then that does not change the identity of the bike.

It is a straightforward process, but kinda labor-intensive!

1. Buy a Thai registered bike.

2. Remove all the parts from the frame of the Thai bike.

3. Repair/repaint the Thai registered frame as necessary.

4. Rebuild the Thai bike using parts from the Oz bike.

In that process the VIN of the Thai bike is preserved.  Changing the engine number is not normally a problem because engines do fail and need to be replaced, but if it is a problem then use the crankcases from the Thai bike as these have the engine number, but that is far more work, so best avoided if possible.

Keep the frame will be the main thing. 

Because change of engine not sure how you'd get with Thai customs.

I would still advise selling bike in Oz and get another the same here.

That's what i did as in with a UK bike. 

• Like 2

On 4/22/2023 at 11:26 AM, Homburg said:

The "identity" of a bike is the frame. This has the VIN. Generally all other parts can be changed without changing the identity.  This is reasonable because if you need, say, to replace the muffler or the seat etc., then that does not change the identity of the bike.

It is a straightforward process, but kinda labor-intensive!

1. Buy a Thai registered bike.

2. Remove all the parts from the frame of the Thai bike.

3. Repair/repaint the Thai registered frame as necessary.

4. Rebuild the Thai bike using parts from the Oz bike.

In that process the VIN of the Thai bike is preserved.  Changing the engine number is not normally a problem because engines do fail and need to be replaced, but if it is a problem then use the crankcases from the Thai bike as these have the engine number, but that is far more work, so best avoided if possible.

Very inventive idea. A good lateral thinker. Unlike a few others with negative comments but sadly one will always encounter the negative norms of the world Anyway thanks for all who posted a helpful comment.  I will leave my baby with my son to look after. I haven't the heart to sell her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2023 at 4:07 PM, Hugh Cow said:

Very inventive idea. A good lateral thinker. Unlike a few others with negative comments but sadly one will always encounter the negative norms of the world Anyway thanks for all who posted a helpful comment.  I will leave my baby with my son to look after. I haven't the heart to sell her.

So you got good inventive advice on how to import it 

then you don't.

Bravo.

Bravo.

• Haha 2

this has got me thinking, i recently exported a bike from Thailand to Australia where it ie registered and is my daily ride, i wonder if i will be able to re-import it back to Thailand.

I still have original green book from when it was registered in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, moose7117 said:

this has got me thinking, i recently exported a bike from Thailand to Australia where it ie registered and is my daily ride, i wonder if i will be able to re-import it back to Thailand.

I still have original green book from when it was registered in Thailand.

I would say so because it's registered in Thailand.

After 3 or 5 years whatever you would have to re-register the bike when or if it makes it back to Thailand. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 7:22 PM, papa al said:

So you got good inventive advice on how to import it 

then you don't.

Bravo.

Bravo.

Quite a contrarian aren't you and like most negative people no constructive ideas only a negative unhelpful post. Why bother to post such a petty reply? I guess I will never understand people that post nothing of value just for the sake of posting. No doubt your parents have come to lament not availing themselves of contraception in earlier years.

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hugh Cow said:

Quite a contrarian aren't you and like most negative people no constructive ideas only a negative unhelpful post. Why bother to post such a petty reply? I guess I will never understand people that post nothing of value just for the sake of posting. No doubt your parents have come to lament not availing themselves of contraception in earlier years.

5 5

Thanks for clarifying.

FAF.

Bravo.

Edited by papa al
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

Hard to build a bike without a frame. Can import at a very inflated price piece by piece.  But no frames are allowed. 

The consensus is with the situation as it is in regards to importing beloved motorbikes into Thailand nowadays is forget it.

To find and buy a frame registered in Thailand of the same bike and then get all other parts of the bike in OZ sent over may be possible is where this thread got to so OP would have a frame.