Pattaya Celebrates Successful Songkran Festival, First With Water in Four Years

snoop1130

7-696x392.jpg

Pattaya beautifully wrapped up its first full-on Songkran festival in four years yesterday. The event ended successfully with Wan Lai, or the Big Day, where Beach Road was partially turned into a walking street and was crammed with thousands of Songkran revelers marching through the street, helping pump money into the city.

The recent Songkran festival was the first all-out Songkran featuring the famous water fights after four years of the Covid-19 outbreak and restrictions around events and festivals in Thailand.

The festival in Pattaya literally lasted for a week as it included both normal Songkran running from April 13th-18th and Wan Lai on April 19th which just wrapped up yesterday.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/04/20/pattaya-celebrates-successful-songkran-festival-first-with-water-in-four-years/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-04-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The event ended successfully

should we have a poll of how many people wish it had continued for another 7 days or how many people and businesses are glad to see the back of it and get back to normal 

Yes Thais are fully entitled to celebrate their new year every year - but not this nonsense going on for 7 days 

3rd poll question - is 7 days far too long and should it be restrcted to 2 days 

• Haha 1

On 4/21/2023 at 10:28 AM, smedly said:

should we have a poll of how many people wish it had continued for another 7 days or how many people and businesses are glad to see the back of it and get back to normal 

Yes Thais are fully entitled to celebrate their new year every year - but not this nonsense going on for 7 days 

3rd poll question - is 7 days far too long and should it be restrcted to 2 days 

Some like the event, some do not.

One can choose to participate or one can choose not to.

Me myself, I neither like nor dislike how ever I choose to not participate and  my life continues as normal.

Up to you, as the saying goes.

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Some like the event, some do not.

Me myself, I neither like nor dislike how ever I choose to not participate and  my life continues as normal.

Up to you, as the saying goes.

not the point I was making and if you live in Pattaya your life does not go on normally for a whole 7 days - it is severely compromised and forces quite a number of people to either leave the city or not go out, 1-2 days could be tolerable but not 7 days - why did you even comment 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, smedly said:

not the point I was making and if you live in Pattaya your life does not go on normally for a whole 7 days - it is severely compromised and forces quite a number of people to either leave the city or not go out, 1-2 days could be tolerable but not 7 days - why did you even comment 

I was slightly inconvenienced coming home from work on the 19th which added about 15 mins to my drive.

Other than that... what is Songkran ?

No, you're forced to "participate" if your route happens to take you near the hooligans. Think she chose this dangerous "fun?"

image.png.ba7224206799c1a94f9e681641067eba.png

Watch me crash her motorbike! Hee hee!

I chose not to be forced to participate and my life did NOT continue as normal. And this was the case w/ most Pattaya expats.

Edited by BigStar

On 4/21/2023 at 10:40 AM, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, what a waste of water! First splashing all that water, then city cleaning trucks had to drive around town, cleaning up the mess, using plenty more of the little water available.

And will Pattaya be celebrating when the drought hits.

Billions of litres of wasted water, and for what?

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I had a hope we might get some post Songkran rains as usual, but  forecasters citing El Nino will produce more hot dry weather to come.....  

That was forecast before Songkran.

We had some rain yesterday here in rural Kamphaeng Phet for the first time this year. Enough to wet the concrete and leave a few very small puddles.

It did nothing for the soil which is baked hard and solid.

Just now, BigStar said:

Irrelevant to your imagined "point." Now you just want to bicker and try to make it personal. Need help getting out of your loop? It's nearby and effective.

My point is not imagined.

There is 1000's of expats that live East Pattaya that were not hampered by Songkran festivities.... unless they chose to be involved of course.

44 minutes ago, BigStar said:

No, you're forced to "participate" if your route happens to take you near the hooligans. Think she chose this dangerous "fun?"

I chose not to be forced to participate and my life did NOT continue as normal. And this was the case w/ most Pattaya expats.

Move to the darkside.

On 4/22/2023 at 2:24 PM, Ralf001 said:

Move to the darkside.

No. Being forced to move to the darkside to avoid victimization by water hooligan attacks is indirectly just another kind of forced participation--"dry," but much more expensive and inconvenient. You done repeating your imagined point, or need a little more help getting out of the loop?

Edited by BigStar