Cops bust crypto mine stealing electricity near Bangkok

snoop1130

792504.jpg

Photo via Thai Tai Channel

Police raided a huge crypto mine in Samut Prakan province, just south of Bangkok, yesterday. To dig for their digital currencies, the miners used stolen electricity with damages amounting to more than one million baht.

Police from Samut Prakan Police Station and officials from the Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) raided a three-storey rented building in Soi Mungkorn-Nark Dee in Phraek Sa sub-district, Mueang district. During the investigation, the officers discovered that there were 100 crypto-mining devices on the second and third floors of the building, while the first floor housed a lot of computers.

No one was inside the building and no one appeared to be living there. The miners used an internet system to operate each mining device remotely, reports KhaoSod.

The officers from MEA conducted the raid after spotting an unusual amount of electricity usage in the area two months ago. Further investigations revealed that the building was illegally using electricity by doctoring the property’s digital multimeter, which is why the MEA was unaware of the situation.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/cops-bust-crypto-mine-stealing-electricity-near-bangkok

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-04-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sounds like someone got an early warning call - again

I don't think these machines need monitoring on-site, same as data centres. The machines just sit there flashing lights and humming along. Then if a fault occurs someone somewhere is notified by an alarm and they come and sort it out.

I stand to be corrected, though.

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

No one was inside the building and no one appeared to be living there. The miners used an internet system to operate each mining device remotely, reports KhaoSod.

Sneaky sneaky....