What's Your Favorite Recliner?

I'm getting old. My lower back is giving me serious grief. I used to love to sit and read for hours. But these days all I can manage is 45 minutes on the sofa before the lower back gets achy.

So, please share your opinions on your favorite recliner, Lazyboy, lounge chair, etc..

And, is it available in LOS?

ps. Anyone has experience with a Zero Gravity Chair?

Hi,

For what it's worth - although I don't have enough personal experience of recliners or back pain to really judge, my sister suffers a lot of back pain that is generally relieved by laying down or walking - and has just bought a Lazyboy - she says it does make a difference and can now stay up longer at night. I must say I have sat in several lazyboys and think they are great and have often wanted to buy one for the shear luxury. If I did, I would buy the top spec as the cheaper ones seem a bit cramped.

I have been a lazy-boy user for more than twenty years and was delighted to find the very large ones available in certain furniture stores in Thailand. Evidently they are manufactured in Thailand to lazy-boy standards and dimensions.

I also was happy they had that brand name and I bought the big heavily padded one and have been using it for at least four or five hours a day, at a stretch, and it is delightful, restful and no muscle strain at all. I broke my leg six months ago and it was the only place I could be comfortable without pain for months.

I paid about 28K Baht for mine in Chiang Mai five years ago, and may have bargained that price down a couple Ks, I can't remember.

There are many copies of the lazy-boy chair, but don't fall for them, they are poor imitations and rarely work as well. A spring resistance device is necessary to make the chair back stop at the level your most comfortable with and if your a big person like me, 188cm and 100kg you need a big chair. They do have smaller ones as well.

Thanks Tyke & PTE.

I'm leaning toward Lazy-boy too if I can't find anything more eye catching.

My uncle still has his fifteen-year-old Lazy-boy and is still very fond of it.

PTE, I had surgery on my knee last year and it's still bugging me too. I'm guessing I'll have to find a way to set it up so I can work from a Lazy-boy because normal office chairs are now too painful for the leg.

Did you get the leather one? I like the fabric, but it might bet mildew in this weather.

Cheers

I have owned several locally made recliners and do not find them any less comfortable than name brands from the US and they are plenty large enough. If my back starts to give me a problem sitting in them does help. My first was bought about 25 years ago and still in use (although leather cracked due not keeping it oiled). Newer unit is about 10 years old and looks/feels new.

I recommend the Lazyboy chairs. The Thai factory is in Chonburi province. They are exactly the same chairs as sold in the US. There is a choice of coverings, fabric, Brazilian leather, or super-soft, super-expensive Italian leather.

For an excellent selection and possibly better prices, visit the Bangkok main dealer for Thailand on Lad Praew Road, Bangkapi, Bangkok:

http://www.la-z-boy-thailand.com/

I think that they can make any model available on the main American website, although not all models are in their showroom. Some of the styles aren't even old fogey looking, but I find with this sort of thing, the more style, the less comfort.

http://www.la-z-boy.com/ourfurniture/catalog.aspx?cid=1

Edited by Jingthing

Where do you find the locally made recliners? Do they resemble Lazy-boys?

25 years ago it was Central as they were not common here but 10 years ago bought in normal Thai furniture shop in The Mall, Bangkapi. It is same style as Lazy-boy and believe most larger furniture stores in Bangkok will have several models available these days. Suspect cost would be about half or less of Lazy-boy.

But if your interest is the zero gravity style have no idea as I would not call them recliners myself. Torture racks would be my take. :o

Macx; You have more than enough information to make an intelligent choice.

I agree with lopburi3 that the zero gravity chair, while perhaps orthopedically correct, would not provide enough padding for a four or five hour stint in my view.

Very thick padding is needed for upper back, seat and calf and thighs for long sit comfort. Older men require more padding for comfort, especially if you have muscle aches as a normal part of life. Thai beds have always been to firm for my taste, although pre-Thiailand and retirement I always had firm beds.

The danger in buying locally made products is you have no clue what was used to make them. The same problem with sofas. Any padded furniture is risky unless you have some way to determine what is under the cover. The quality of the wood used, the quality of the foam, particularly, is of major importance.

I have seen many sagging sofas in my day due to warping wood, not kiln dried wood, foam rubber breaking down over time, etc. Also the mechanism that allows multliple seating attitudes is crucial. My Thai partner is happy with his 10k locally produced model but I can't sit in it for long. It still looks good but the mechanism works with a button. All the way back, no in between adjustments controlled by your body position.

You make a good point regarding fabric. I have always gone for leather, but in hot weather, I cover my chair with a sheet so I don't stick, as I go without a shirt much of the day and night when at home. The sheet can be changed, the fabric on a chair cannot.

A truly quality easy chair is going to always look like an "easy chair", so I relegate mine to the "lounge area", my terminology for "my space", not where guests are seated in a more formal setting designed to "look good". I have seen high end sofas with easy chairs incorporated into them on one end. I don't their availability in Thailand.

In regard to using your Lazy-boy as a work space, I keep my laptop on a suitable side table within easy reach of my chair. I brought a "lap top desk" with me to Thailand, merely a strong, thin, light weight laminated and curved sheet of wood that reaches from one arm of my chair to the other. Thus, my laptop, sits on that arm to arm table top when I am using it and I am partially reclined. Television is in front of chair and other necessary side tables are within reach to hold remotes, drinks and other daily necessaries. You have probably concluded, that in retirement, I have set up "my lounge area" to provide me with all the comforts while in my easy chair. When I built my home I positioned the aircon and ceiling fans strategically as well, so I only aircon the area I am occupying, and have fans for when exterior air temperature permits.

Years ago I actually sat on over 200 sofas trying to determine which one sat best, spring loaded, fabric, goose down filled pillows, etc. Thus when I stumbled on a super high quality sofa in a large furniture store basement with a easily cleanable stain on the arm, I bought it immediately, as I had educated my gluteaus maximus to pick a great sofa. I suggest that you sit in as many easy chairs as you can so you too can tell by sitting and reclining, which chair is right for you, but importantly, also remembering quality costs and Lazy-Boy enjoys its reputation for a reason.

I found some great styled sofa type chairs for my formal living room and opted for Naugahyde covers since few people sit in them and they had a "great look" Only cost me 1200 baht each. You know what I paid for my Lazy-boy. Paid over 40K for my mattresses. My point is I spend a third of my day in bed, almost a third of my day in my Lazy-boy, so that is where the money went. More than happy to save money on less often used items.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

I found some great styled sofa type chairs for my formal living room and opted for Naugahyde covers since few people sit in them and they had a "great look" Only cost me 1200 baht each. You know what I paid for my Lazy-boy. Paid over 40K for my mattresses. My point is I spend a third of my day in bed, almost a third of my day in my Lazy-boy, so that is where the money went. More than happy to save money on less often used items.

:o

Terrific! A man after my own heart.

Yeah, everything within reach of my recliner.

You're absolutely right about spending $$ where you spend the most of your time!

Thanks!

Cheers all.

macx: I failed to mention lighting for your recliner. I found an excellent fluorescent spring armed light that I attached to one of the shelf units adjacent tto my chair that swings right over the chair for reading the paper and softening the light for laptop use at night. You might find a floor model convenient depending on your adjacent furniture arrangement. However, the two armed spring loaded lamp gives maximum flexibility as the head swivels as well, you know the desk type lamp that draftsmen use but not with the long fluorescent bulb, but the multiple tube one that are used now as a energy efficient bulb in place of the incandescent lamps. They are quite common in large lamp shops and in Central Department Store.

Your on your way to maximum comfort and convenience. Good luck in creating your new "enviroment".