Sending a new Samsung phone to my wife

PhoSai

Good evening, 

Im back in the UK for a bit and want to send my wife a new Samsung Galaxy. I assume customs are going to charge a duty, i think its 7% of the value given in the documents attached. I am wondering if anyone has experience of sending brands new technology to someone in Thailand ? Does the package get held at a local post office for the duty to be paid ? 

Thanks

This was my question ???? 

'I am wondering if anyone has experience of sending brands new technology to someone in Thailand ?.' If so 'Does the package get held at a local post office for the duty to be paid ?'

4 minutes ago, PhoSai said:

This was my question ???? 

'I am wondering if anyone has experience of sending brands new technology to someone in Thailand ?.' If so 'Does the package get held at a local post office for the duty to be paid ?'

Yes.

Other issues:

no warranty-service repair in Thailand

if that variant has not been certified (radio transmitters not limited to GSM) in Thailand it cannot be imported legally

Buy a phone in Thailand.

Packages are usually held at the Laksi Thai PO facility, after which they'll show up in someone's pocket or at the local market.

Another thing to consider is; if the "Postal Service" you choose accepts mobile phones for shipping. Due to the fact most phones now have sealed batteries and the potential fire risk that might create when shipping.

With prices in Thailand, I would go for a local purchase over shipping, unless you personally bring the phone out as hand luggage. Most airlines (ie Thai Airlines) don't allow mobile phones as hold luggage.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PhoSai said:

I assume customs are going to charge a duty, i think its 7% of the value given in the documents attached.

It is not just duty but VAT as well and the value is CIF so cost insurance freight and Thai customs determines the cost value and ignores your declaration value.

if you aren’t hand carrying your wife may well be hit with a substantial bill.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It is not just duty but VAT as well and the value is CIF so cost insurance freight and Thai customs determines the cost value and ignores your declaration value.

if you aren’t hand carrying your wife may well be hit with a substantial bill.

Thanks, the only reply that actually answered my question !