Heritage with money in my country

Aforek

Hello, do you know if a Thai lawyer is competent to manage an inheritance of property located in Europe
this is my case, I have money in Thailand and in my country

thank you , and BTW can a lawyer in my country manage my money in my country for my Thai wife ( after my death ) ?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

get a Thai will for her, it only cost 5K Baht in Pattaya at most all law firms, (we used Magna Carta) we have wills each of us for USA and another here for Thailand. Husband US citizen, wife dual Thai/with US PP as well) and we will finish our journey here...

I have a Will and executor in my home country - - I also have a contact w/a foreign lawyer in Thailand to assist w/the process of being a contact as my family does not speak much English... and I have a Will here for my assets here. 

Sure, I would love to set up a trust for my kid but who do you trust here or anywhere to administer things? I am working at teaching about money and run into many issues such as not wanting to extinguish ambition and productivity but... are those Western values that don't matter much here? Many issues to deal with... 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Aforek said:

Hello, do you know if a Thai lawyer is competent to manage an inheritance of property located in Europe
this is my case, I have money in Thailand and in my country

In general, inheritance is handled by the court the country where the deceased had permanent residence or where mainly living.

The lawyers that wrote the book "Thai Law for Foreigners" suggests to make two Last Will, one for possessions in Thailand following Thai inheritance law, and another for possessions in one's home country following that laws. Be aware that real estate might always be handled in the country where the it is and follows the local law.

So if you live permanently in Thailand, it will always be a Thai court (lawyer) that handles the estate, no matter where in the World you die.

Edited by khunPer

I have handled things this way. What comes to Thailand, stays in Thailand so I have a Thai Willstating anything I possess in Thailand, goes to my Thai Wife. My financial accounts in the USA lists my two Sons to share 50/50 as direct beneficiaries. As I own no real property in the USA and am not a resident of any U.S. state, I am thinking there is no need for a Will nor “probate”, etc. My Sons will be subject to the inheritance income laws of the USA and Kentucky where they both reside but as the amount is under the reportable amounts I think they will be exempt from taxes on their inheritance.