Thai Mobile

Well, You Yanks call them cell phone and the Germans call them handy, so what was Thailand before Mobile phone? How did people communicate? Leave a note on the door when nobody was home? I am talking about no internet .Not many people had phones those days. So what did they do? I am very curious. 

• Confused 1

A few decades ago when my wife would go visit her family in Thailand if I wanted to call her I had to call a somewhat close neighbor that had a land line and ask them to go get her so I could talk to her.

Always someone with a landlines in a village. I believe some had telephone boxes too. 

You can bet the local Amphur and Pu Yai had a phone.

"The penetration of telephone remained relatively limited for most of the 20th century. In 1992, the ratio of telephone lines per population was 3.3 lines per 100 population. In 1991, two private corporations were given concessions to build and operate telephone lines: Telecom-Asia (later renamed True Corporation) for the Bangkok Metropolitan Region and Thai Telephone & Telecommunications (TT&T) for the provinces.[5]"

As of 2014, there were 97.6 million mobile subscribers in Thailand, a penetration rate of 146 percent of the total population.

• Like 1

My first internet was dial up , took forever and dropped out numerous times a day.

For some reason International calls coul not be made on our phone .

So anytime I wanted to talk to family in the UK I had to go into the village .

There was one lady who had the main shop in the village that had International calling.

I don't know how she worked out the charge for the call , it was a bit high , but no other alternative.

Before the internet and mobile phones came to Thailand, I recall using landlines and relying on answering machines to leave messages. 

Used to write letters back then, too.

Difficult to imagine today how we got along without mobile phones, but we did. Life moved at a slower pace.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, still kicking said:

what was Thailand before Mobile phone? How did people communicate? Leave a note on the door when nobody was home? I am talking about no internet .Not many people had phones those days. So what did they do? I am very curious. 

Bigoted condescension. Obviously, communicated the same way the Poms did: landlines, pay phones, letters. Plenty of landlines in those days. Never heard of Bangkok? Villages had them as well. I had one in Pattaya.