Visit to Hellfire Pass to commemorate ANZAC Day 2023

snoop1130

I would have expected this topic to generate more of a response than it has. Aseannow's appeal includes a lot of 70+ and 80+ expatriates whose fathers fought and/or served in World War II. It is interesting to see how the life of memorials and commemorations run. France and Britain had an overwhelming number of World War I memorials that are now forgotten or displaced, as the last living connection to them has died off. In fact, the French have created a museum for old commemorations--a sort of museum for museums. In another ten years, we'll probably see these World War II memorials fade away as well. I wonder how vital even this one would be right now were it not for the movie.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joe Farang said:

Don't believe everything you see in the movies

Before Bridge on the River Kwai, the dominant image in the public imagination for the Burma/Southeast Asia campaign was probably that associated with Errol Flynn. Great soundtrack with Objective, Burma! btw. Everything else is a footnote.

Edited by John Drake

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

I would have expected this topic to generate more of a response than it has. Aseannow's appeal includes a lot of 70+ and 80+ expatriates whose fathers fought and/or served in World War II. It is interesting to see how the life of memorials and commemorations run. France and Britain had an overwhelming number of World War I memorials that are now forgotten or displaced, as the last living connection to them has died off. In fact, the French have created a museum for old commemorations--a sort of museum for museums. In another ten years, we'll probably see these World War II memorials fade away as well. I wonder how vital even this one would be right now were it not for the movie.

Doesn't seem to be the case in Aust. the turn out for the Anzac dawn service and march is increasing each year dispite the "old" diggers are  no longer with us. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Doesn't seem to be the case in Aust. the turn out for the Anzac dawn service and march is increasing each year dispite the "old" diggers are  no longer with us. 

I'm just speculating, but I think I can explain that. Again, the comparison with World War I memorials helps.  By the 1990s, all but the very major World War I commemorations seem to have faded into the background. But there  was a sudden surge in interest in the mid aughts, which I am guessing was due to the fact that the last veterans were all about to die. I just looked up a list on wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_last_surviving_World_War_I_veterans . Part of that, too, was then new digital technologies in film restoration that made early World War I footage much more lively and relatable. Anyway, I think we will very soon be at the same stage for World War II veterans as we were with World War I veterans in the mid aughts. These commemorations might be a last hurrah of sorts. I don't know. Just things I think about some times.

• Thanks 1

Same in NZ, Anzac day gets bigger every year, after a noticeable lull in the 80's and 90's. During lockdown when there was no communal Anzac services, my street was just about full with people on the footpath outside their houses with candles or torches listening to the 6am dawn service on the radio.

Schools, especially primary schools, get involved, and last Tuesday at the 10am service I attended there were children wearing their grandad / great grandad's war medals.

I was at Hellfire pass last year and I've just got to say a big thanks to the Aussie government for that visitor centre and grounds.

One day I'll get there for an Anzac day service.

• Thumbs Up 2