Krungsri 50k+ transfer photo requirement

The Kbank app in its latest update has under Settings -> Facial verification with bank (Collect facial image for important transactions and other services with bank) newly added.

When selecting it, a message is displayed “Sorry. Facial verification with bank is only for Thai customers.”

Curious to observe how this will further evolve in the coming weeks …

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aublumberg said:

The Kbank app in its latest update has under Settings -> Facial verification with bank (Collect facial image for important transactions and other services with bank) newly added.

When selecting it, a message is displayed “Sorry. Facial verification with bank is only for Thai customers.”

Curious to observe how this will further evolve in the coming weeks …

I suspect foreign customers will have to go to branches to do over 50k transfers

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Everyman said:

I went in to Bangkok Bank yesterday and and got the face “scan” done, as well as some more details on how it’s going to work.

Apparently starting soon, anyone using the mobile banking app to transfer more than 50,000฿ at a time will have to be verified through the phone’s front facing camera. Amounts less than this are unaffected, as are ATM transfers. People can opt out but they won’t be able to transfer amounts larger than 50,000฿ using the mobile app. 

It was done quite quickly at a local  branch (a different branch in a different province from where i opened the account), though I am skeptical that the low resolution webcam they used to “scan” my face will provide a clear enough image. 

Which doesn't tally with Lorry's post

https://aseannow.com/topic/1293820-facial-recognition-required-for-some-online-services-from-thai-banks/?do=findComment&comment=18069146

We went to Bangkok Bank and SCB yesterday, and the process was as follows

- BBL

Just give your Passport (ID) and they take a picture (scan?) of your face. Done in less then 5 minutes.

- SCB

I did not go in because I have stopped using SCB (still keep a balance to keep the account open) but Wifey went in and moments later came out and it was already done, when I asked can I do it, the Woman checked my SCB App on my Phone and said I can not. What the problem was that I did not have NDID Services (found in the SCB app under Settings, Manage NDID Services).

• Like 1

I just tried to transfer more than 50K from my Bangkok Bank account to my Krungsri account (my own account!), which I do regularly, and was told the amount exceeded "the daily allowed transfer limit."  Ridiculous.  Especially because the BB app uses facial recognition to open the app in the first place, PLUS requiring a passcode.

Edited by JTXR
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, JTXR said:

I just tried to transfer more than 50K from my Bangkok Bank account to my Krungsri account (my own account!), which I do regularly, and was told the amount exceeded "the daily allowed transfer limit."  Ridiculous.  Especially because the BB app uses facial recognition to open the app in the first place, PLUS requiring a passcode.

Have you checked your daily limit in the APP that is not set to 50k?

Under More - Personal Limits - Transfer and then Change Limit

Edited by MJCM

On 5/3/2023 at 4:41 PM, Gaccha said:

What I find strange about this is that both my Apps for Kasikorn and TTB both announced around 3 weeks ago they would need facial scanning recognition to proceed, but then a couple of days later both announced on the Apps that I had waived the requirement. I had not done anything except pressed "agreed" to using facial scanning.

After that, both Apps then blocked me from using the Apps until I disabled the "accessibility" function on my phone. This function on the Samsung S20, allows Apps to "watch" other Apps. In my case, I use it among other things for an antivirus App and a YouTube ad skipper App as well as around 5 other Apps. I did this a couple of times and the banking Apps worked fine as long as the accessibility function was off. There was no sign of any facial scanning.

Around a week ago, the Kasikorn app started working again without any demand to switch off "accessibility". The TTB App continues to demand that I remove the accessibility function (this would take around 5 to 10 minutes each and every time I switch on the TTB app, making it functionally useless should I for example want to buy a coffee by scanning through the App). 

I find this pretty bizarre since nobody has seemed to mention these extra demands of the Apps on Thaivisa, as well as the odd way the banks are working in lockstep.

I am with TTB bank and today when trying to log in, they insist I turn OFF Developer options before i can login?

Very strange!

I did and was able to Login, where is this heading?

Edited by Smokey and the Bandit
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Have you checked your daily limit in the APP that is not set to 50k?

Under More - Personal Limits - Transfer and then Change Limit

As I said, I have been making large transfers regularly.  The limit I set was well over 100K.

Sorry a bit off topic, but i used to get an SMS from BKB every Monday morning and withdraws over 5k, and when my PEA direct debit was paid, this year not. anybody out there with the same problem ? I do intend to go there soon but there is only one staff member who can deal with this and it takes hours sitting around.

On 5/9/2023 at 7:06 AM, Everyman said:

I went in to Bangkok Bank yesterday and and got the face “scan” done, as well as some more details on how it’s going to work.

Apparently starting soon, anyone using the mobile banking app to transfer more than 50,000฿ at a time will have to be verified through the phone’s front facing camera. Amounts less than this are unaffected, as are ATM transfers. People can opt out but they won’t be able to transfer amounts larger than 50,000฿ using the mobile app. 

It was done quite quickly at a local  branch (a different branch in a different province from where i opened the account), though I am skeptical that the low resolution webcam they used to “scan” my face will provide a clear enough image. 

When I sis the face scan Monday at my local Bangkok Bank I was told the same thing.

On 5/3/2023 at 4:41 PM, Gaccha said:

The TTB App continues to demand that I remove the accessibility function (this would take around 5 to 10 minutes each and every time I switch on the TTB app

Why does it take you so long?  BBL (and others) have the same requirement and that feature is easily turned off through "Settings" in, maybe 5 to 10 seconds. Re-activating it after using the bank's app takes another 5 seconds, or so.

On 5/8/2023 at 7:41 AM, aublumberg said:
On 5/8/2023 at 4:34 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I suspect foreign customers will have to go to branches to do over 50k transfers

Back to the stone age then ... seriously hope not.

Back to the Stone Age only for the poster who, with no evidence at all, suggested that may be the case.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Back to the Stone Age only for the poster who, with no evidence at all, suggested that may be the case.

If you actually read the posts on this thread and the other you'd realise there is inconsistent treatment at branches, some saying doesn't apply to farang, so guess what may happen to them when the deadline is reached 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Sorry a bit off topic, but i used to get an SMS from BKB every Monday morning and withdraws over 5k, and when my PEA direct debit was paid, this year not. anybody out there with the same problem ? I do intend to go there soon but there is only one staff member who can deal with this and it takes hours sitting around.

I get SMS messages for every outgoing transaction (including withdrawals) from my BKB account no matter how small... 

Obvious questions but have you changed your mobile number recently & are you able to receive SMS from other sources (could be a problem with your phone/carrier rather than the Bank). 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I get SMS messages for every outgoing transaction (including withdrawals) from my BKB account no matter how small... 

Obvious questions but have you changed your mobile number recently & are you able to receive SMS from other sources (could be a problem with your phone/carrier rather than the Bank). 

No sane number, I rang the carrier and they can only check back one month (i think) told me not received any SMS from bkb bank. I have no problem with Krungsri bank SMSs. but thanks. looks like i'll have to go and spend time in the bank :mellow:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/10/2023 at 8:43 AM, JTXR said:

As I said, I have been making large transfers regularly.  The limit I set was well over 100K.

I had the same problem a while ago, since a certain update the limit was reset to the original 50K. Changed it back to the higher value.

I just got a message from TTB bank.  Only in Thai and my missus can't make head nor tail of it.  I think that it's something to do with the requirement for photo ID for transactions over 50kBaht.

Does anyone know if these new requirements apply to transfers INTO a Thai account or only to transfers OUT?  I do a 65k transfer from my UK bank to my TTB account every month, to keep Immigration happy so, if the requirement does apply to transfers IN, I shall have to get this sorted out pretty quickly.

I suppose that I may have to visit my nearest branch - but it's nowhere near me and it's hot out there!

Before anyone suggests phoning them I predict that this would be a total waste of time!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/26/2023 at 3:04 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Yes very average staff I've found, for me they rank 3rd behind Kasikorn then Bangkok Bank

I rather like Krungsri although I just do deposits. Never online as well.

It's sort of billed as the boutique bank.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, doctormann said:

I just got a message from TTB bank.  Only in Thai and my missus can't make head nor tail of it.  I think that it's something to do with the requirement for photo ID for transactions over 50kBaht.

Does anyone know if these new requirements apply to transfers INTO a Thai account or only to transfers OUT?  I do a 65k transfer from my UK bank to my TTB account every month, to keep Immigration happy so, if the requirement does apply to transfers IN, I shall have to get this sorted out pretty quickly.

I suppose that I may have to visit my nearest branch - but it's nowhere near me and it's hot out there!

Before anyone suggests phoning them I predict that this would be a total waste of time!

Transfers out

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, doctormann said:

Just did my Krungsri photo update a few days ago, and updated address, phone nbr, PP# etc. Took about 5 minutes and now whatever regs the Govt bring in I am validated.

Have done this same procedure at all my banks. Just sensible to do this, so no probs further down the line.

19 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Just did my Krungsri photo update a few days ago, and updated address, phone nbr, PP# etc. Took about 5 minutes and now whatever regs the Govt bring in I am validated.

Have done this same procedure at all my banks. Just sensible to do this, so no probs further down the line.

Yes, maybe I'll trek down to the bank.  As you say, this may avert problems further down the line.

I have another account at K-Bank so maybe I should do that one as well.

1 hour ago, doctormann said:

Yes, maybe I'll trek down to the bank.  As you say, this may avert problems further down the line.

I have another account at K-Bank so maybe I should do that one as well.

K-Bank you can only update your photo using the K-Plus app (not at a branch).

Also the app version must be 'ver17'.

Just found that out this week.

• Thanks 1