Krungsri 50k+ transfer photo requirement

3 hours ago, doctormann said:

I just got a message from TTB bank.  Only in Thai and my missus can't make head nor tail of it.  I think that it's something to do with the requirement for photo ID for transactions over 50kBaht.

Does anyone know if these new requirements apply to transfers INTO a Thai account or only to transfers OUT?  I do a 65k transfer from my UK bank to my TTB account every month, to keep Immigration happy so, if the requirement does apply to transfers IN, I shall have to get this sorted out pretty quickly.

I suppose that I may have to visit my nearest branch - but it's nowhere near me and it's hot out there!

Before anyone suggests phoning them I predict that this would be a total waste of time!

No this will have no impact on your incoming transfers. It only applies when you want to make an outgoing transfer from your account in access of 50k THB.

If you think that's unlikely, then don't bother with it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, couchpotato said:

K-Bank you can only update your photo using the K-Plus app (not at a branch).

Also the app version must be 'ver17'.

Just found that out this week.

My app version is 5.16.11. That seems to be the latest version in the playstore that my phone sees. How do I get to "ver17"? My phone has android 9.0.

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

My app version is 5.16.11. That seems to be the latest version in the playstore that my phone sees. How do I get to "ver17"? My phone has android 9.0.

The person at K-bank that showed me her 'ver17' had an iphone, which can be updated, but apparently Android is still 'ver16' as its latest version.

I don't know anymore info.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, couchpotato said:
2 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

The person at K-bank that showed me her 'ver17' had an iphone, which can be updated, but apparently Android is still 'ver16' as its latest version.

I don't know anymore info.

Thanks @couchpotato. Since my post 2 hours ago, my phone has updated the KPlus app and I now have the "Facial Verification with Bank" option under Settings. However, when I select the option, I get the same message "Facial Verification with Bank is only for Thai customers" as posted by @scubascuba3 earlier in this thread.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JackGats said:

I'm going to Bangkok Bank this week for this photo thing. Do I have to bring along the smartphone with the banking app?

i doubt it, passbook and passport essential, but why wouldn't you carry your phone just in case?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

My Mrs had to go to Krungthai Bank this week, after she tried to withdraw 10K baht from a KTB ATM which was declined. A message was displayed informing her to go to the bank to register for Facial Recognition. Took 5 minutes but queueing time was 1 hour.

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

My Mrs had to go to Krungthai Bank this week, after she tried to withdraw 10K baht from a KTB ATM which was declined. A message was displayed informing her to go to the bank to register for Facial Recognition. Took 5 minutes but queueing time was 1 hour.

My TTB ATM card has been declined by my local KTB machine lately.  No message - just goes through the motions and then cancels the transaction.  Still works fine in the adjacent GSB machine though. 

I don't know if this is related to this photo ID thing.  I did receive an SMS from TTB - only in Thai and Missus can't make head nor tail of it - which I think is relevant.  I'll try phoning the TTB help line, which i'm sure will be of no help.  Probably have to go into the main branch in Pattaya.  A long way from me, unfortunately and it's hot out there!

On 5/4/2023 at 5:44 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Worse case scenario is you would need to go into a banch to do transfers, a problem for those abroad

Wise has had a limit of 50K on my transfers from Oz to KrungThai for about 4 months, so it's been in the works for some time.

26 minutes ago, Albaby said:

Wise has had a limit of 50K on my transfers from Oz to KrungThai for about 4 months, so it's been in the works for some time.

Coincidental only....The 50k one time transfer limit or 200k daily limit (without verification) is only transfers out for Thai banks, which along with other measures (possibly coming later in the year) has been recently enacted to try to nullify scammers. Nothing to do with overseas inward transfers.

4 hours ago, Albaby said:

That's been going for months, something different, only excluded Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and SCB

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Coincidental only....The 50k one time transfer limit or 200k daily limit (without verification) is only transfers out for Thai banks, which along with other measures (possibly coming later in the year) has been recently enacted to try to nullify scammers. Nothing to do with overseas inward transfers.

I'll take your word for it.

• Confused 1

Bangkok Bank released a new app version which is more snappy and usability has improved. It also implements the “enhanced security by adding a facial recognition process for 1) transfer etc. of 50+k, 2) daily transaction totals 200+k and 3) raising transfer limits”. I don’t recall what my transaction limit was previously but it’s 50k now and when trying to raise it the app shows “if you want to proceed, please bring your passport and go to a branch”.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aublumberg said:

Bangkok Bank released a new app version which is more snappy and usability has improved. It also implements the “enhanced security by adding a facial recognition process for 1) transfer etc. of 50+k, 2) daily transaction totals 200+k and 3) raising transfer limits”. I don’t recall what my transaction limit was previously but it’s 50k now and when trying to raise it the app shows “if you want to proceed, please bring your passport and go to a branch”.

I’ve just tried this on the Bangkok Bank mobile (IPhone) App & no problem in increasing my transfer limit from 50K to 300K

App version 3.24.0. 

IMG_4257.jpeg.8c3599e054bc72ede013989dfe808bab.jpeg

Edited by Mike Teavee

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

I’ve just tried this on the Bangkok Bank mobile (IPhone) App & no problem in increasing my transfer limit from 50K to 300K

App version 3.24.0. 

IMG_4257.jpeg.8c3599e054bc72ede013989dfe808bab.jpeg

Am on the new 3.25.1 and can’t change beyond 50k. Haven’t registered yet at a branch. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/11/2023 at 7:56 PM, couchpotato said:

Under 'settings'..best I can do, as I only have 'ver16' 

Yesterday transfered 50k+ from K_Bank account,nothing new required maybe next month for any change

2 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

banking apps are a  bitch to get working as they make em difficult to get going as they fear fraudsters so make em hard 

What do you find hard about them?

1 hour ago, aublumberg said:

Am on the new 3.25.1 and can’t change beyond 50k. Haven’t registered yet at a branch. 

Ditto for me....as of today/20 May I updated to BBL Android version 3.25.1 (big, big change in appearance from previous app version over the years) and when I try to change a daily transfer limit "above 50K baht " I get an error message stating:

Incomplete Information

If you want to proceed with this transaction, please bring your passport or identity information and contact staff at any Bangkok Bank branch. (RH16).

I have "not" went to Bangkok Bank yet to have my photo taken....over the coming days I will go.

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1

And I will add to my above post that I just transferred  significantly "over" Bt50K from my Krungsri acct (I had my photo taken about a week ago) to one of my Bangkok Bank accts---no problem.  My Krungsri daily limits are still set "above" Bt50K...don't know if Krungsri has started restricting transfer to Bt50K if a person has not had their photo taken.  I will assume not since the transfer that was above Bt50K  did not require the taking of a facial photo to complete the transfer which is suppose to be the new Bank of Thailand (BOT) requirement.

Then I went to that Bangkok Bank acct (transfer from Krungsri arrived in milliseconds) and I then did an transfer for "over" Bt50K between two of my Bangkok Bank acct with no problem.  

So, although I can no longer up my daily transfer limit "above" Bt50K in my Bangkok Bank mobile app (Android version 3.25.1 which updated today/20 May), I "can" still transfer "above" Bt50K between my Bangkok Bank acct....internal transfer so to speak.  Have not tried (and probably will not) try a transfer above Bt50K from Bangkok Bank back to my Krungsri acct.   

So although Bangkok Bank's app update has made it so I can not increase my daily limit above Bt50K it has not limited me from doing transfers above Bt50K between my Bangkok Bank accts (i.e., internal transfers) but I don't know about an "external" transfer from Bangkok Bank to another Thai bank.

Will just get my photo taken soon to satisfy Bangkok Bank; got my photo taken a week or so ago to satisfy Krungsri Bank.   Then kick back and see how "transfer and limit changes" occur over the coming weeks/months as Thai banks implement the new BOT facial recognition thingie.

• Thanks 1

Today/24 May the Thai wife and I went to a little hole-in-the-wall Bangkok Bank branch in a Lotus's mall to have our photos taken...not our home branch.  Took along my passport and our 5 passbooks as the wife and I have 5 Bangkok Bank accts between us....some single accts....some joint accts.   As it turns out the passbooks were not needed; only our IDs (the wife's Thai ID card and my passport).   The rep did make a copy of my main passport page and visa/extension page and had me sign that copy.

The rep  had both of us print our name and mobile phone number on a form and then sign it.  Then the bank rep continued with by having me log onto my Bangkok Bank mobile app, go to a certain area in the app, and accept a bunch of conditions (terms and conditions stuff)....then the rep took my photo with the counter camera.  Then the rep did the wife, however, since the wife is Thai she did not have to logon her Bangkok Bank mobile app to accept any terms & conditions.  We asked why not and the rep said the procedure for foreigner and Thai is different.   We are done...finished...out the door....doesn't take long to do above.

A few minutes later when in Lotus's shopping I decided to see if I could now change my daily limits above Bt50K...as mentioned in my earlier post when tried before I couldn't change it....would get a message to visit a branch.   But now after having my photo taken, when selecting to change my limit from Bt50K to Bt100K it continued on and I had to pass the facial recognition step on my phone.....at first I couldn't get the photo to accept even doing the showing of my teeth/smiling, blinking my eyes, etc., as instructed by the app,  but the app was indicating maybe the lightning was poor....maybe so due to the fluorescent lighting in Lotus's.  I then went to an area of the store where the lightning was stronger and the facial recognition process worked.....my daily limited was changed to Bt100K.   Yeap, lighting conditions are important.  

I then went thru the same process to lower the limit back down to Bt50K and it did such "without" going thru the facial recognition process.     

When i got home I decided to try changing the daily limit to Bt2M (the max allowed) and the facial recognition process worked first time as lightning in my home was good.   Then once again I lowered it back down to Bt50K without the facial recognition process being required.

The wife hasn't tried changing any limits in her Bangkok Bank mobile app as she rarely uses it but I expect things will work fine.

Now I have not tried an actual internal or external transfer above Bt50K since having my photo taken but I'm pretty sure when/if I need to do such that it will work with the correct limit setting since changing/testing my daily limit worked fine today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Pib said:

Today/24 May the Thai wife and I went to a little hole-in-the-wall Bangkok Bank branch in a Lotus's mall to have our photos taken...not our home branch.  Took along my passport and our 5 passbooks as the wife and I have 5 Bangkok Bank accts between us....some single accts....some joint accts.   As it turns out the passbooks were not needed; only our IDs (the wife's Thai ID card and my passport).   The rep did make a copy of my main passport page and visa/extension page and had me sign that copy.

The rep  had both of us print our name and mobile phone number on a form and then sign it.  Then the bank rep continued with by having me log onto my Bangkok Bank mobile app, go to a certain area in the app, and accept a bunch of conditions (terms and conditions stuff)....then the rep took my photo with the counter camera.  Then the rep did the wife, however, since the wife is Thai she did not have to logon her Bangkok Bank mobile app to accept any terms & conditions.  We asked why not and the rep said the procedure for foreigner and Thai is different.   We are done...finished...out the door....doesn't take long to do above.

A few minutes later when in Lotus's shopping I decided to see if I could now change my daily limits above Bt50K...as mentioned in my earlier post when tried before I couldn't change it....would get a message to visit a branch.   But now after having my photo taken, when selecting to change my limit from Bt50K to Bt100K it continued on and I had to pass the facial recognition step on my phone.....at first I couldn't get the photo to accept even doing the showing of my teeth/smiling, blinking my eyes, etc., as instructed by the app,  but the app was indicating maybe the lightning was poor....maybe so due to the fluorescent lighting in Lotus's.  I then went to an area of the store where the lightning was stronger and the facial recognition process worked.....my daily limited was changed to Bt100K.   Yeap, lighting conditions are important.  

I then went thru the same process to lower the limit back down to Bt50K and it did such "without" going thru the facial recognition process.     

When i got home I decided to try changing the daily limit to Bt2M (the max allowed) and the facial recognition process worked first time as lightning in my home was good.   Then once again I lowered it back down to Bt50K without the facial recognition process being required.

The wife hasn't tried changing any limits in her Bangkok Bank mobile app as she rarely uses it but I expect things will work fine.

Now I have not tried an actual internal or external transfer above Bt50K since having my photo taken but I'm pretty sure when/if I need to do such that it will work with the correct limit setting since changing/testing my daily limit worked fine today.

Sounds like the facial check is only required for the set up rather than for actual transfers?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds like the facial check is only required for the set up rather than for actual transfers?

Can't say for sure until I attempt a transfer.  But my guess/bet would be it's going to be required for transfers "and" changing limits. 

Edited by Pib

This is a regulatory thing. Mandated by the BOT. Banks have no choice. For Thai people we can use the images stored with the Citizenship Card process. 

As I said this is mandatory. We can not choose to do it or now. But it is a good idea to prevent a lot of the Fraud which has happened particularly on ANDROID which is approx 80% of the market here. To protect people from themselves. I will not get further into this. But all of the Bank's will do this. And - we have no authoritative source for non-Thai citizens so you will have to give a photo to the Branch with your passport or other accepted ID

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/20/2023 at 5:30 PM, Pib said:

And I will add to my above post that I just transferred  significantly "over" Bt50K from my Krungsri acct (I had my photo taken about a week ago) to one of my Bangkok Bank accts---no problem.  My Krungsri daily limits are still set "above" Bt50K...don't know if Krungsri has started restricting transfer to Bt50K if a person has not had their photo taken.  I will assume not since the transfer that was above Bt50K  did not require the taking of a facial photo to complete the transfer which is suppose to be the new Bank of Thailand (BOT) requirement.

Then I went to that Bangkok Bank acct (transfer from Krungsri arrived in milliseconds) and I then did an transfer for "over" Bt50K between two of my Bangkok Bank acct with no problem.  

So, although I can no longer up my daily transfer limit "above" Bt50K in my Bangkok Bank mobile app (Android version 3.25.1 which updated today/20 May), I "can" still transfer "above" Bt50K between my Bangkok Bank acct....internal transfer so to speak.  Have not tried (and probably will not) try a transfer above Bt50K from Bangkok Bank back to my Krungsri acct.   

So although Bangkok Bank's app update has made it so I can not increase my daily limit above Bt50K it has not limited me from doing transfers above Bt50K between my Bangkok Bank accts (i.e., internal transfers) but I don't know about an "external" transfer from Bangkok Bank to another Thai bank.

Will just get my photo taken soon to satisfy Bangkok Bank; got my photo taken a week or so ago to satisfy Krungsri Bank.   Then kick back and see how "transfer and limit changes" occur over the coming weeks/months as Thai banks implement the new BOT facial recognition thingie.

This will be enforced in the coming few weeks. You will be forced to update the App by all banks I assume unless they have this as some kind of Webpart component which is unlikely. 

On 5/20/2023 at 5:30 PM, Pib said:

Krungsri will start that on 27 June.

When I got the SMS from BBK to go in and do the face scan did it right away and updated to the new app and doing the face scan to make over 50,000 THB transfer the face scan won't recognized my face. Tried several times. They are not ready with this. Curious has anybody else tried to make a transfer over 50,000THB using BBK.

2 hours ago, pmarlin said:

When I got the SMS from BBK to go in and do the face scan did it right away and updated to the new app and doing the face scan to make over 50,000 THB transfer the face scan won't recognized my face. Tried several times. They are not ready with this. Curious has anybody else tried to make a transfer over 50,000THB using BBK.

Just upthread Pib mentioned changing the limits in the BBL app, although not doing an actual transfer, which required the face scan.  He mentions lighting seems critical.