Krungsri 50k+ transfer photo requirement

I can't imagine how or why foreigners would be exempt from this requirement, but we'll see how it goes.

So far, all of the articles I've read have only mentioned mobile banking or "digital banking" with no real clarity on whether there will be any restrictions on transfers using computers accessing the banks' websites.  Face ID on computers isn't as common as on mobile phones, so will such transfers be exempted?

38 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes very average staff I've found, for me they rank 3rd behind Kasikorn then Bangkok Bank

It is a requirement from the Thai Central Bank to try to reduce hacking damage, all Thai banks will need to implement a biometric check in the following months for certain transactions  / limits changes.  

Major banks remind clients to update facial scans for mobile banking (nationthailand.com)

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, walailak said:

My experience today regarding the 50k face scan requirement, after speaking to all 3 call centers last night......

all 3 accounts were opened using the pink ID for foreigners......

North of Bangkok area,

Krungsri, took my pic/scan face, then after an hour told me that their system for foreigners is NOT setup yet we will let u know if you need to visit again once its setup ;-(

KTB, system for foreigners is NOT setup yet, at the moment its only of Thais (holding Thai ID Card)

SCB, system for foreigners is NOT setup yet, at the moment its only of Thais (holding Thai ID Card)

Conclusion "I wont bother again until the system blocks me of transferring more than 50K in the future"

Hope this helps

When did this start? This is worrisome 

3 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

When did this start? This is worrisome 

Major commercial banks are urging their customers to go to the nearest branches to rescan their face for updates before face scanning becomes mandatory for certain mobile banking services starting next month (May 2023)

• Thumbs Up 1

Got a text from Bangkok Bank yesterday as some payment wasn't getting through the day before.

Bring passport and bank book. Was done within 10 minutes and have only to do one time if you have multiple accounts.  Wife had problem with Krungthai payments and got it sorted quickly too.

• Like 1

Was today at Bangkok Bank in order to register my new passport number. Was told I'd have to come back in about one week for a face pic relating to transfers over 50k. For most payments 50k is a high enough limit. All the same, I do transfers to my broker's (Bualuang) over that limit on a regular basis. No idea whether the bank's own affiliated broker as a payee would be exempt from the face ID requirement.

What I find strange about this is that both my Apps for Kasikorn and TTB both announced around 3 weeks ago they would need facial scanning recognition to proceed, but then a couple of days later both announced on the Apps that I had waived the requirement. I had not done anything except pressed "agreed" to using facial scanning.

After that, both Apps then blocked me from using the Apps until I disabled the "accessibility" function on my phone. This function on the Samsung S20, allows Apps to "watch" other Apps. In my case, I use it among other things for an antivirus App and a YouTube ad skipper App as well as around 5 other Apps. I did this a couple of times and the banking Apps worked fine as long as the accessibility function was off. There was no sign of any facial scanning.

Around a week ago, the Kasikorn app started working again without any demand to switch off "accessibility". The TTB App continues to demand that I remove the accessibility function (this would take around 5 to 10 minutes each and every time I switch on the TTB app, making it functionally useless should I for example want to buy a coffee by scanning through the App). 

I find this pretty bizarre since nobody has seemed to mention these extra demands of the Apps on Thaivisa, as well as the odd way the banks are working in lockstep.

• Like 1

The Bangkok Bank website says this is for Thais only. I’m worried that foreigners won’t be allowed to use the new system and will therefore be unable to make large transactions, by default. It may be another way that foreigners are walled off economically and legally in society. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I took my pink ID card , Passport & Bank book to my local Krungsri Bank a few days ago. In typical Thai style they took a myriad of photocopies - all of which I had to sign- and then took a few pics of my hansum face. The whole process took about 10 minutes.

My wife tells me I can do the facial recognition stuff online for my Kasikorn account.  I’ll report back on that in due course.

• Like 1

No mention of this from Kbank (2 accounts) either online, by app, by SMS or by email. Did an 80k transfer to GF's Bangkok bank acc a few days ago with no issue or delay (no, she doesn't get that each week/month ????). This is the first I heard of this facial recognition.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 3:40 PM, FritsSikkink said:

It is a requirement from the Thai Central Bank to try to reduce hacking damage, all Thai banks will need to implement a biometric check in the following months for certain transactions  / limits changes.  

Major banks remind clients to update facial scans for mobile banking (nationthailand.com)

Yep, last Wednesday I got a text from Bangkok Bank saying I had to go in to do Facial Biometrics so popped into the Jomtien Branch whilst I was at the Tax Office & it was full of Farangs who obviously got the same text.

I got queue number #19, sat there for 10 minutes & the screen didn't move from #7 so gave it up as a bad joke & will go back in a few weeks once the initial rush has calmed down. 

On a semi-related note, does anybody know of any of the Bangkok Bank Branches in Pattaya that have Bualang Exclusive service? In Bangkok I would go to the BE branch in Emporium to avoid queuing but I can't seem to find a branch in Pattaya that has a BE desk/office.

Edited by Mike Teavee

8 hours ago, Everyman said:

The Bangkok Bank website says this is for Thais only. I’m worried that foreigners won’t be allowed to use the new system and will therefore be unable to make large transactions, by default. It may be another way that foreigners are walled off economically and legally in society. 

Worse case scenario is you would need to go into a banch to do transfers, a problem for those abroad

18 hours ago, JackGats said:

Was today at Bangkok Bank in order to register my new passport number. Was told I'd have to come back in about one week for a face pic relating to transfers over 50k. For most payments 50k is a high enough limit. All the same, I do transfers to my broker's (Bualuang) over that limit on a regular basis. No idea whether the bank's own affiliated broker as a payee would be exempt from the face ID requirement.

Doubt it at it is a requirement of the Central Bank.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

On a semi-related note, does anybody know of any of the Bangkok Bank Branches in Pattaya that have Bualang Exclusive service? In Bangkok I would go to the BE branch in Emporium to avoid queuing but I can't seem to find a branch in Pattaya that has a BE desk/office.

What is Bualuang Exclusive service? Something to do with Bualuang Securities?

14 hours ago, Everyman said:

Read the comments, foreigners are not only allowed, hey have to comply.

13 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

No mention of this from Kbank (2 accounts) either online, by app, by SMS or by email. Did an 80k transfer to GF's Bangkok bank acc a few days ago with no issue or delay (no, she doesn't get that each week/month ????). This is the first I heard of this facial recognition.

Some banks implement in May, others in June.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JackGats said:

What is Bualuang Exclusive service? Something to do with Bualuang Securities?

It's like Citibank Gold where some branches have a dedicated desk/manager so you don't need to queue up.  In EQ there's a dedicated Bualuang Office but my mate uses them all the time & I know he's not BE (Though he does park in the reserved BE spaces at some shopping malls as I give him the car park pass they give me every 2 years).  

Criteria is > 4Million Baht in Assets with them

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Bualuang-Exclusive

Not really worth having but membership is free & if you can find a Branch that has a BE desk, it can save a lot of queueing. 

• Thanks 1