Cessna 172 sightseeing flight over Pattaya

Sandboxer

Trying to book a 30-60 min flight for 2 pax (me and wifey) and not having a lot of luck online finding operators.

One tour company quoted packages at 12k-18k  PER PERSON which IMO is way too steep, or simply not what I'm prepared to spend on something like this. It's a Cessna 172, not a freakin' G6.

I'm looking to spend up to 15k-ish (total) for a short 30 min flight. Is this realistic or am I totally off base? 

Anyone know any operators in the area I should contact? 

Thanx...

Edited by Sandboxer

Never heard of anyone providing this service.

I recall in Angkor Wat it was about $300 per person to go up in a tethered hot air balloon for about 10 mins, so yeah i think your price expectations are unrealistic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sandboxer said:

Wow, that's some whacky azz cray cray pricing.????

For $300 bucks I'll buy 3000 normal balloons and tie myself to them 555. (Well, maybe use the wife to test it out first...) ????

There's a tethered helium version for $20, I'd recommend that one if you're ever in the area.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, stoner said:

i didn't know the thai airforce was renting out their planes. 

Shhh, since the Thai police rent out their vehicles for airport transfers, this may be the next convenience. 

Around 15 years ago, I did a 40-minute flyover of Mt. Pinatubo in The Philippines from Clark, and the cost was $60. The plane was tiny, though, a trainer, so it could only take one passenger. A great experience, anyway.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 12:06 PM, Chivas said:

Up to you but you'll never find me taking a flight, bungee jumping or powered "anything" with a local Thai operator where there is a mechanical process to it....

You take your life in your hands with their mai pen rai attitude !

I think you're attitude is wrong as the pilots have a vested interest in landing safely.

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I think you're attitude is wrong as the pilots have a vested interest in landing safely.

That guarantees nothing, plenty of pilots have manged to kill themselves through poor training, over confidence, bad maintenance, or just plain stupidity. . Low hours private pilots are dangerous, medium hours private pilots can be just as dangerous. High hours private pilots don't exist as they are mostly  all dead. 

34 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's B15,000 per person, maximum two, for a 45 minute flight.  They do 30 minute and one hour flights also.

None of what you say matches the link I posted which says 16,500 for a 40 minute flight?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I call that BS

Please yourself.

Here is a bit of info that may help some understand.  There are three groups of pilots.  The first are private pilots, usually fairly low hours, limited knowledge of aerodynamics and associated aviation science, flying low tech equipped  aircraft, in the lower airspace where weather is a high risk factor in flight safety. It takes only 40 hours to gain a basic qualification to fly in this group, with no continuing professional training required.  There are quite often ignorant of risk management and the risks they are running. They have the highest number of accidents among all pilots. 

Since 1962, The National Travel and Safety Board (NTSB) has maintained a database of aviation accidents across the United States. NTSB has found that the fatality rate for private aircraft is significantly higher per 100,000 flight hours than commercial aircraft.Jul 20, 2565 BE

The second are the professional commercial /bush pilots.  Medium to high hours, 18 months to 2 years of basic training, holding CPL or ATPL qualification, flying higher tech aircraft.  These people are trained to be risk averse and undertake continuous profession development.  They are risk aware and CRM trained. 

The third group are military pilots.  Highly trained over a minimum of 2 to 3 years before becoming operational.  They are risk takers, but under controlled conditions.  They fly high tech capable aircraft and, in the main, highly professional. 

Which group would you just your life to? 

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Tom said:

Please yourself.

Here is a bit of info that may help some understand.  There are three groups of pilots.  The first are private pilots, usually fairly low hours, limited knowledge of aerodynamics and associated aviation science, flying low tech equipped  aircraft, in the lower airspace where weather is a high risk factor in flight safety. It takes only 40 hours to gain a basic qualification to fly in this group, with no continuing professional training required.  There are quite often ignorant of risk management and the risks they are running. They have the highest number of accidents among all pilots. 

Since 1962, The National Travel and Safety Board (NTSB) has maintained a database of aviation accidents across the United States. NTSB has found that the fatality rate for private aircraft is significantly higher per 100,000 flight hours than commercial aircraft.Jul 20, 2565 BE

The second are the professional commercial /bush pilots.  Medium to high hours, 18 months to 2 years of basic training, holding CPL or ATPL qualification, flying higher tech aircraft.  These people are trained to be risk averse and undertake continuous profession development.  They are risk aware and CRM trained. 

The third group are military pilots.  Highly trained over a minimum of 2 to 3 years before becoming operational.  They are risk takers, but under controlled conditions.  They fly high tech capable aircraft and, in the main, highly professional. 

I have 3000 + take offs with low hours pilots, and a couple of houndred flights with professional pilots both commercial airplanes and helicopters.

Small cessnas have a totally different statistics because they are small and single engines with less room for failure as well they fly in lower altitudes.

What I was reacting to and what I found as bs, was your statement there is no high hours private pilots, all depending on your opinion high hours meaning. 

Several of our skydiving pilots not paid, flying for hours had several thousands of hours and moved on to commercial training and flying.

Edit note, I must have more than 400 commercial flights all together for work and pleasure

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The locals have a vested interest in driving safely but it doesn't happen. 

• Confused 1

On 4/30/2023 at 6:01 AM, jacko45k said:

Shhh, since the Thai police rent out their vehicles for airport transfers, this may be the next convenience. 

shhhh ? you realize you just made public a multi million baht idea :)

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Hummin said:

I have 3000 + take offs with low hours pilots, and a couple of houndred flights with professional pilots both commercial airplanes and helicopters.

Small cessnas have a totally different statistics because they are small and single engines with less room for failure as well they fly in lower altitudes.

What I was reacting to and what I found as bs, was your statement there is no high hours private pilots, all depending on your opinion high hours meaning. 

Several of our skydiving pilots not paid, flying for hours had several thousands of hours and moved on to commercial training and flying.

Edit note, I must have more than 400 commercial flights all together for work and pleasure

The last statement was a joke, a not very good one obviously. 

The point I was trying to make, is that rocking up to a pleasure flight company, jumping into a C172, without knowing the experience, competence, qualification or hours of the pilot you are trusting with your life, especially here in LOS, is not a good idea, There is a very good reason why the US recently introduced the 1,500 hours minimum  for all new First Officers in airlines. As I think you are saying, experience is safety, usually, I too have some thousands of hours and I owned my own PA28-201 for many years.  My training, yonks ago,  was as a Military Pilot and I brought that experience to my private flying. What I saw at my flying club often used to horrify me, but it takes all kinds.  Personally, knowing the slack application of rules, and of equipment , that we see here, I would not take a private flight. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:
18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The locals have a vested interest in driving safely but it doesn't happen. 

"...driving safely but it doesn't happen".

Yes, it does for the millions of Thais who, every year, do not have problems with driving on the roads, they probably wouldn't agree with your sentiment, nor your topic-derailing attempt.

17 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:
18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's B15,000 per person, maximum two, for a 45 minute flight.  They do 30 minute and one hour flights also.

None of what you say matches the link I posted which says 16,500 for a 40 minute flight?

Did you speak to the company to check the charges?   I did.

18 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

plenty of pilots have manged to kill themselves through poor training, over confidence, bad maintenance, or just plain stupidity

Got anything empirical to back that claim?  Examples of the "plenty of Thai PPL holders who have died" would be a good place to start.

17 hours ago, Hummin said:
18 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Sounds reasonable for 3 persons at international rates. 

The fare that I posted is per person, maximum of two people.   The fare that he quoted, although taken from the website, is not correct.

16 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Please yourself.

Are you quoting US requirements?!    The same US that has a worse, overall, air safety record than Thailand?

Edited by Liverpool Lou