Insulated metal roof

indyo

planning to build a house I was looking

for the best solution for the roof,

I really don't want any of that concrete tiles as I'm not building an oven, I'm not happy also with metal roof as is not aesthetically acceptable but at least doesn't not have hundreds potentially leaking junctions, I found this company that has sandwich roof panels insulated with PIR till 7,5cm
https://fi.co.th/products/roof/
https://fi.co.th/products/roof/standard-roof/
I have no Idea yet about the price but I guess is a good solution for this environment, they use bluescope steel.
anyone knows about them?

• Love It 1

51 minutes ago, jvs said:

https://www.facebook.com/lohrinsulation/

There is this option and you won't have a metal roof to look at.

Costs relation here, the after thought of spraying single roof and no underlining support will in time be  problematic IMHO. 

Composite roof panels which is the term used in UK are the way to go for new roof construction.

You can also lay slate or concrete tiles on top afterwards if somebody wants a synthetically pleasing roof to look at. 

Edited by Kwasaki

36 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I am experto crede on roofing ????.

Use to lay them on sides and roof factories in UK over 30 years ago which were used for cold storage it's a proven product.

A good product to use but make sure workmanship is carried out properly at ridge details and hips details if any. 

Protect the foam ends with with suitable accessories.

Preferably fix top of the corrugated profile section. 

A good metal roof typically uses standing seams. How does the seam work with the sandwich panels?  

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

A good metal roof typically uses standing seams. How does the seam work with the sandwich panels?  

In much the same way as a single skin roof sheet lapping detail.

Don't know what spec Thailand produces but UK use a 2mm thick 8mm wide sealant mastic tape between the top cover roll and the under-roll also all along the side of the composite roof panel construction consists 2 pvc strips of type tape attached to the sides where the composite panels are compressed together.

The side laps are stitched with rivets or stictcher type screws, the main fixings are usually recommended to be used in the top of the roll of the intermediate corrugated profile of the tmroof panel.

At request of friends I have up the spec of Thailand roof spec of what the builders were going to do as builder's either have not taken notice of a spec or to be fair not showed or instructed properly so they just do what they want.

@indyo

Just go to the closest Bluescope franchised store.

They are placed all over the country and shouldn't be too far from your locality.

You might remember seeing this road sign.

bluescope.PNG.ab056dd21e92bfbecfe2936a6bc2e31f.PNG

That's them.

They will take your order and sell all needed parts and accessories. They will also measure your roof if not already done by your roofing contractor.

Last time I checked they were selling two grades of Bluescope branded rolled roof metal - Colorbond and Zacs.

Zacs is being the cheaper product with shorter warranty.

Can't go wrong with either.

The shop will also apply a layer of PU insulation during production (if opted for) in your preferred thickness - 25mm, 50mm etc

IMO, 25mm is sufficient.

BlueScope-Zacs®-Brochure-Thailand.pdf

Edited by unheard
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, unheard said:

@indyo

Just go to the closest Bluescope franchised store.

They are placed all over the country and shouldn't be too far from your locality.

You might remember seeing this road sign.

bluescope.PNG.ab056dd21e92bfbecfe2936a6bc2e31f.PNG

That's them.

They will take your order and sell all needed parts and accessories. They will also measure your roof if not already done by your roofing contractor.

Last time I checked they were selling two grades of Bluescope branded rolled roof metal - Colorbond and Zacs.

Zacs is being the cheaper product with shorter warranty.

Can't go wrong with either.

The shop will also apply a layer of PU insulation during production (if opted for) in your preferred thickness - 25mm, 50mm etc

IMO, 25mm is sufficient.

BlueScope-Zacs®-Brochure-Thailand.pdf 4.9 MB · 0 downloads

If it is not a composite roof panel then for a new roof project the OP should stay with what he chosen. 

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

If it is not a composite roof panel then for a new roof project the OP should stay with what he chosen. 

From what I see the OP is looking for available options for insulated metal roof.

What is wrong with my suggestion?

1 minute ago, unheard said:

From what I see the OP is looking for available options for insulated metal roof.

What is wrong with my suggestion?

Nothing is wrong with suggestion  but always there's a but and not wanting browny points myself having been in the industrial roofing construction business for over 30 years which is where this product design came from and has been made to be adaptable for domestic house constructions OP is choosing an excellent product.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

but always there's a but and not wanting browny points myself having been in the industrial roofing construction business for over 30 years which is where this product design came from and has been made to be adaptable for domestic house constructions OP is choosing an excellent product.

What does that mean?.

Can you please translate to all us non-professionals?

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I used it and it is expensive at 300 Baht per sq m at 25mm depth. 25mm is not enough unless you have a ceiling under it.

Any idea of how the insulating properties of the spray foam would compare to 3 or 6 inches of fiberglass insulation for a building with a gypsum ceiling?

Seems like spray foam would be good for preventing leaks and deadening noise, but how much thermal insulation does it provide?

4 minutes ago, unheard said:

What does that mean?.

Can you please translate to all us non-professionals?

No to translate without payment is not my thing. 

OP is getting a good product, my only concern is the workmanship with installing the panels using a competent Thai roofing contractor.

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

OP is getting a good product, my only concern is the workmanship with installing the panels using a competent Thai roofing contractor.

OP is not getting any product at the moment and has no idea about the price.

He's doing his research first.

My suggestion was to check the closest franchised Bluescope store.

Those stores mostly deal with residential customers, not companies.

Which is the reason for the network's creation.

Edited by unheard

the product I linked is composed by two metal sheets so the insulation is embedded, I guess this company should have also the terminals to protect from UV rays and rats, PIR is also safer than PU, PU is very flammable and having an house inside a rural village where they burn anything is a concern.

34 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Any idea of how the insulating properties of the spray foam would compare to 3 or 6 inches of fiberglass insulation for a building with a gypsum ceiling?

Seems like spray foam would be good for preventing leaks and deadening noise, but how much thermal insulation does it provide?

I don’t have the equipment to answer those questions or installations to use as a test bed, I can only tell you that a plasterboard ceiling with glass fibre insulation is about 5 degrees cooler.
All our roof has 25mm of spray foam. In all probability a layer of silver backed PU foam will provide a similar, if not better, result at less cost though it’s common for lower quality installs like this to breakdown.

• Thanks 1

@indyo

you might be able to find an aesthetically acceptable profile.

When I was shopping for my metal roof this kind of profile was also available from my local shop.

But at the time it was only available with a silvery thin insulation which is non-PU.

The situation might have changed by now.

prof.PNG

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, indyo said:

the product I linked is composed by two metal sheets so the insulation is embedded

It's incorrect.

The other sheet is plastic.

From what I remember the shop that I've recommended have also offered an option to install a sheet of plastic.

The other default option is a layer of silvery/white foil.

Can be installed either way, facing the silvery or white side out.

Edited by unheard

13 minutes ago, unheard said:

It's incorrect.

The other sheet is plastic.

From what I remember the shop that I've recommended have also offered an option to install a sheet of plastic.

The other option is a layer of silvery/white foil.

Can be installed either way, to face the silvery or white color out.

Wrong, both sheets are zinc coated steel.

Roof.thumb.jpg.4c2d0143ccfe5423f461ed7bd1e1679f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Wrong, both sheets are zinc coated steel.

The standard one doesn't have the second metal layer.

Wait a second.

It also does?

Oh, then yeah, in that case let's wait a see until the OP gets his price quote (not a guarantee if he even hears back if the manufacturer prefer to deal with higher volume orders).

I don't think he will like it.

I never said that the linked by the OP product is in any way inferior.

It looks great.

So I suspect is the price.

Edited by unheard

Last Fall, I had the MIL's house's leaky corrugated tin roof panels replaced with BK metal panels with sandwiched PU foam. There are no ceilings in the structure leaving the underside of the roofing panels exposed. The ridgeline of the roof runs N-S with exposure to the Sun all day. The interior room temperature with the old panels was always hotter than the ambient air outside. The PU foam panels lowered the temperature inside at least 10 degrees.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, indyo said:

PU is very flammable and having an house inside a rural village where they burn anything is a concern.

"Polyurethane foam is made of a combination of chemicals and other materials, including isocyanates, which are highly flammable. But when these chemicals are mixed in manufacturing, they become stable and non-reactive. This means that once the foam has been made, it is no longer flammable.

Regarding the safety of polyurethane foam, it is important to consider the material’s fire resistance degree. Polyurethane foam is typically rated Class 1, an A-level fire-resistance rating, which means it is highly resistant to fire and will not cause any significant damage to structural elements in the event of a fire.

Is Polyurethane Foam Safe

The answer is yes. Polyurethane foam is safe to use in your home and office. It is a non-toxic material that is flame-resistant and does not emit any harmful chemicals.

The foam is also hypoallergenic, making it a great choice for people with allergies and sensitivities."

https://firefighterline.com/is-polyurethane-foam-flammable/

• Thanks 1