One-Way Flight Tickets Into Thailand.

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Didn't really understand your first post and also this post.

Not being pedantic but there is no such thing as a "Retirement Visa".

You possibly have a Non O-A or extensions from that or extensions from a non O .

Either way as has been pointed out in the thread ....with a valid visa or reentry permit you do not require onward/return flight. 

I don't think my post could be easier to understand.

im actually flying out tomorrow...east coast to west (LAX)  to taiwan to BKK to CM....

13th time..ONE way  NO visa   from the states.....36 hrs with layovers..ugh

Never had an issue,,,never round trip...never with an actual visa......

then extend the 30 by another 30 and make 2 allowed border hops at burma border

30+ext+30+ext+30+ext=6 months and time fly home...on my 3rd passport doing this way

done and one been working for me for 12 yearly visits for 6 months,,then home to work again

rinse, lather, repeat....* am I suggesting anyone do this?????..of course not but works for me*

carry on bag only....if asked why no visa i simply say im backpacking and leaving after 30

also over 50 so officially a grumpy grandpa and hansum for the massage grannies  :)

and i have the cash in pocket to back it up.........

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Age is not the issue, type of visa and/or re-entry permit is. If you don't have a long stay visa and a re-entry permit, a return ticket is required.

i flew in end of last month from Germany, nobody gives a carp about anything anymore, including that convid jab, thank the lord

Saudis weren't bothered either

Thai immigration asked me why I didn't have a visa, I said I read I could get a stamp on arrival so he stamped my passport

2 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

The airlines at the point of departure are the ones that check this, if you don't have the return ticket when one is required, you wont be allowed to board.

errr I got on 3 planes to get here ???? there's a guy from the States above been doing the same thing for donkies years.....

maybe you should stop believing everything the 'control freaks' tell you? ????

Just now, driver52 said:

errr I got on 3 planes to get here ???? there's a guy from the States above been doing the same thing for donkies years.....

maybe you should stop believing everything the 'control freaks' tell you? ????

My wife worked for BA for 25 years, trust me, those are the laws for every country and airline, if you want to test it, go for it and see how far you get!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Returning to Thailand recently on a RT ticket. Korean Air agent looked at the ticket being one-way, called over the supervisor who saw the O Visa and Permission to Return and there was no issue. Both entering the USA(Wife and Stepdaughter holding 10 Year USA Visas), we went through both US and Thai I migration as a family traveling together. No issues in either direction.

• Like 2

I have flown to Thailand “dozens” of times on one way tickets, can’t tell you.  No hassle.  For the past 7 or 8 years I have held a PE or OA visa however. At most JL or NH made me sign a paper that said I was responsible for any cost if denied entry. That happened once. Another time a Korean agent questioned if Thailand Elite was real at all. Just got a supervisor  ove to straighten him out. 

5 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

My wife worked for BA for 25 years, trust me, those are the laws for every country and airline, if you want to test it, go for it and see how far you get!

errr for the third time I got from the UK to Thailand via Germany....vax free too, wey hey!!!

1 hour ago, driver52 said:

errr for the third time I got from the UK to Thailand via Germany....vax free too, wey hey!!!

Lucky you but your experience is not universal. Some people get asked for onward ticket, some don't. Depends on the location and other factors.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Lucky you but your experience is not universal. Some people get asked for onward ticket, some don't. Depends on the location and other factors.

thing is it's all electronic nowadays, just get someone to email you some flight details ????

problem nowadays is everyone runs scared of stuff they see on the teLIEvision.......and t'internet eh? and they shove the ads where the sun don't shine too ????

• Sad 2

Hi,

When I flew Scoot to Penang from Osaka,

Japan via Singapore last year, I was asked

at the check-in counter if I had an onward

ticket out of Malaysia. I answered that I

didn't because I was going to Thailand from

there by land. And then the ground staff

member asked if I had a credit card (just in

case I should end up having to buy a ticket

to go back to Japan after getting denied

entry into Malaysia without the ticket on

me). And I answered yes before she issued

a ticket to me.

Hope that helps.

16 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Definitely certain locations and airlines more than others. A mate was in a jam in Phnom-P last year got a sudden call during a dinner in Chiang Mai.  PG were demanding "onward ticket" and he was having problems with his credit card Logged on their mobile site and bought a tickey in his name while I kept on eating and friends discussed the odds of him being let in at all he has been on tourist visas so long.????

13 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

For some reason that didn't work. What's this world coming to? I blame it on the jab.

just chill and be healthy pete and then you can blame nuffin on anyboody but yourself eh......Luc Montagnier RIP, nobel prize winner and all you need is a healthy immune system.....

For entry to Thailand from the USA for a tourist visa these are the requirements.  And YES, check out #3.  Evidence of travel "FROM" Thailand 

• 1. Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months.
  • 2. Photograph of the applicant, taken within the past six months.
  • 3. Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full).
  • 4. Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family).

3 hours ago, Makoshark said:

For entry to Thailand from the USA for a tourist visa these are the requirements.  And YES, check out #3.  Evidence of travel "FROM" Thailand 

• 1. Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months.
  • 2. Photograph of the applicant, taken within the past six months.
  • 3. Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full).
  • 4. Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family).

^ That's to apply for a visa in the USA before departure. The OP does not need to apply for a visa. He already has a visa/permission to stay as a retired person. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, asf6 said:

^ That's to apply for a visa in the USA before departure. The OP does not need to apply for a visa. He already has a visa/permission to stay as a retired person. 

Beat me to it.

On 4/29/2023 at 5:21 AM, XB12X said:

I don't think my post could be easier to understand.

From the context you provided one could deduct your Visa status, and you got correct answer. 

But it is not pedantry from drJack54 when he writes that there is no such thing as a 'retirement Visa', as it can be a source of confusion resulting in incorrect answers. 

This because there are 2 types of Visa for reason of retirement: a Non Imm O-A Visa (often even on Embassy websites incorrectly referred to as a 'retirement Visa') and a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

On top of that there is a clear difference between a Visa and the extension of stay based on that Visa, and also here even Immigration often incorrectly refers to an extension as a Visa (probably because the word extension is too difficult for Thai speakers). 

The point being that when asking for info about your 'retirement Visa' when it is not clear from the context, that this can refer to 4 different statuses, and each of these can have different entry requirements.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

This because there are 2 types of Visa for reason of retirement: a Non Imm O-A Visa (often even on Embassy websites incorrectly referred to as a 'retirement Visa') and a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement

There is also another, however not available in many countries.

It is available in UK.

A Multiple entry non O retirement valid for 12 months. 

Allows stays of up to 90 days. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/29/2023 at 8:46 PM, driver52 said:

just chill and be healthy pete and then you can blame nuffin on anyboody but yourself eh......Luc Montagnier RIP, nobel prize winner and all you need is a healthy immune system.....

Yes, A healthy immune system can better learn from the vaccine. It's a training session, like studying for a test.

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There is also another, however not available in many countries.

It is available in UK.

A Multiple entry non O retirement valid for 12 months. 

Allows stays of up to 90 days. 

Not related to this thread.

> I am aware that there is also the 1-year Multiple Entry Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, but as far as I know you can only apply for this one in some embassies/consulates of Thailand neighboring countries (e.g. Savannakhet Thai Consulate in Laos, but you need proof of income from pension when applying for it there). 

Are you sure you can apply for it in UK? I looked on the UK Thai Embassy site and it is not mentioned there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 9:23 AM, nigelforbes said:

The airlines at the point of departure are the ones that check this, if you don't have the return ticket when one is required, you wont be allowed to board. The reason the airlines are on the hook for this is because they are the ones who have to transport you back again, if you don't meet the entry requirements.

The airlines are responsible to fly you back again. For those who mark confused stop reading here.

The airlines can suffer heavy fines when passengers are refused entry there is no way to avoid that as foreign carriers are at the mercy of local regulators and authorities to keep the route. It has always been the case the passenger is responsible to prepare all relevant documents/visas and is responsible for any costs if denied entry. If a another country says "send him back" that means now even if the airline has to bump a paying passenger that should have been on the return flight.

Unfortunately if a passenger refuses to pay a necessary return flight cost on the spot all they can do is try to get it out of them later. Many would actually have a return ticket who are denied for another reason they would just use that.

• Like 1

Flew VIE-BKK a few months ago 1-way. EVA staff asked me in VIE and I told them I was going for visa exempt and Non-O conversion. They seemed aware of the procedure and no further questions though they did check my passport whilst asking me. No questions asked at Immigration BKK - all they wanted was passport and boarding card IIRC.

Just to add another angle here. Had some time to kill waiting for my connecting flight upon arrival at FRA with Oman Air and asked them if for my return to BKK my (within 30 days of arrival)  bus ticket from Aranyaprathet/Poipet to Siem Reap would be accepted. They said it would and that their policy was traveler self-responsibility anyway. I would love this if true & practiced by all airlines.

Will put that to the test then on the 24th at MUC.

Returned from USA on April 24, the 2nd half of a RT ticket. Korean Air agent at Dulles checked with supervisor. As I have a valid Visa for reason of Marriage (until February 2024) and Return Permission stamp ... no issue.

22 minutes ago, Mr Dome said:

Oman Air and asked them if for my return to BKK my (within 30 days of arrival)  bus ticket from Aranyaprathet/Poipet to Siem Reap would be accepted. They said it would and that their policy was traveler self-responsibility anyway. I would love this if true & practiced by all airlines.

It certainly is not.

Also in regards to onward flight that's exactly what's required.

Flight.

Train/bus ticket not acceptable. 

On 4/28/2023 at 1:42 PM, nigelforbes said:

Age is not the issue, type of visa and/or re-entry permit is. If you don't have a long stay visa and a re-entry permit, a return ticket is required.

I’ve never been challenged with a one way ticket. Most recently when I flew in at a the end of last year. Didn’t have a visa. Got my 45 day stay on arrival and then extended another month at immigration. Back to 30 days now if I’m not mistaken. Maybe I’ve been lucky 

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

I’ve never been challenged with a one way ticket. Most recently when I flew in at a the end of last year. Didn’t have a visa. Got my 45 day stay on arrival and then extended another month at immigration. Back to 30 days now if I’m not mistaken. Maybe I’ve been lucky 

You were required to have one, you were fortunate you weren't checked.