Jazz stuttering/stalling

Jazz iDSl

220,000km

Has happened several times.

Seems to happen after waiting in traffic.

if car is left for a while it seems to restart ok.

took it to a well known garage but they cannot replicate….maybe not in traffic long enough.

no temperature gauge so cannot judge overheat but no rusty coolant spray in engine or hissing.

any ideas?

I think this is the one with 8 spark plugs?  The back set are a bit difficult to get at and get overlooked. Change them out if they've not been done recently and only use NGK or Denso.

Get yourself an OBD reader so you can monitor temperature and view stored codes.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

I think this is the one with 8 spark plugs?  The back set are a bit difficult to get at and get overlooked. Change them out if they've not been done recently and only use NGK or Denso.

Get yourself an OBD reader so you can monitor temperature and view stored codes.

Correct.  It is the one with 8 plugs. 

Honda visit would be a first move I think. 

If you want to do it yourself then you definitely need a code reader.

For a trip to Aus I bought a $3000 Jazz, that developed an intermittent problem with loss of power and engine cut out at random times. 

After failed fault diagnosis at auto electricians, I bought a scanner and car workshop manual and eventually chased the fault down to an intermittent faulty computer. Bought a second hand one and that fixed the problem.

In the meantime I had replaced the plugs and leads, ERG, other sensors, fuel filter etc.

So get a code scanner and PDF manual from the internet.

A tip that it could be the computer (if the problem is intermittent) is that no codes are present when the engine stops.

If you need to replace the computer, you need to remove the airbag therefore have to visit Honda to reset the airbag warning light.

20 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Thanks for all suggestions…

I’ve never actually had a car diagnosed on the computer. Does the fault actually have to be happening or can the computer suggest something when it’s running normally.?

FYI the ECU (electronic control unit) is the heart of cars these days,  plug it into a computer and will do a diagnosis of the cars fuel system etc etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

I’ve never actually had a car diagnosed on the computer. Does the fault actually have to be happening or can the computer suggest something when it’s running normally.?

The ECU stores fault codes.  So even if the car is running fine when it is at the dealer the historic fault code will show when they scan it.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Even a basic OBD2 reader will show stored fault codes and also live data.

Live data will be things like coolant temperature and the pre- and post-cat O2 sensor waveforms.

Generic (non-proprietry) powertrain fault codes take the form 'PXXXX' where 'XXXX' are four characters. P0300 is a random or multicylinder misfire. P0301 is a misfire on cyl 1 etc.  When you get a code you can Google it.

Before reading any codes for the first time be sure to clear all existing codes. Then run the vehicle until the fault occurs and read codes. My money would be on sparkplugs or ignition coil breakdown.

• Thumbs Up 1

You may not get fault codes to the scanner if you have a computer (ECU) fault.

As you are not going to fix it yourself, the local Honda dealer will sort the problem.

Could be up for a high labour cost if they have to replace the fuel filter, ECU, or some exhaust sensors, but hopefully problem is plugs and leads.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just got the jazz back from the mechanics.

I think they had a difficult job in that it’s difficult to fix some thing when it’s not displaying symptoms.

It looks like they went through the possibilities in a systematic manner.

The fuel pump and filter were certainly messy

anyway, it run smoothly yesterday so we’ll hope for the best.

He suggested that given the high mileage of 220,000 km I might at some stage consider getting an engine and gearbox from Japan. And mentioned 40,000 baht

thanks again for all the suggestions.

• Thumbs Up 1