Charter Court asked to probe Pheu Thai party’s ฿10k campaign giveaway policy

snoop1130

28 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

That is very true.

The south has never had much interest in Thaksin.

What is also very true, is that the bulk of Thaksin's support has always come from the poorer sectors of society (predominantly from the north and north-east).

Why is Pheu Thai the favourite to win the upcoming election?

Whom does their supporter base consist of....is it upperclass, gentrified elites?

Thaksin's most effective policies were reducing rural poverty and the introduction of universal healthcare, allowing him to gather the hitherto-neglected support of the rural poor, especially in the populous northeast.

100% of the poor don't support Thaksin - the vast majority of them do.

So what is your point?

Actually, the vast majority are indifferent.

Pretending to have acquired any such knowledge or connections about the society is quite soulfully poor. 

18 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Pretending to have acquired any such knowledge or connections about the society is quite soulfully poor. 

Thaksin's re-election in 2005 had a 72% voter turnout.

The 28% that were not bothered to vote - are they the vast majority of indifferent individuals that you speak of?

The 2019 election had a 75% turnout - is that an increase of indifference?

Edited by MrMojoRisin
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Just pointing out that he's not really a man for the poor. Famously, of course, saying that any areas that didn't vote for him wouldn't receive any development funds. Also quite open about the fact that he had little interest in furthering democracy (until he was removed undemocratically). Very much a case of distributing largesse from the centre and by doing this in the early days of his administration and focusing on funds going through village heads, kamnans etc. to get their local backing, it allowed him to get on with his own business. He undoubtedly did some good early on but it was well planned and targeted for his own benefit. Removing him in the fashion they did was a daft move.

Whatever his motivations, he made the lives of a great many neglected people much much better, this is why his daughter will be PM in two weeks.

33 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Whatever his motivations, he made the lives of a great many neglected people much much better, this is why his daughter will be PM in two weeks.

May well be. I'm expecting Pheu Thai to choose Srettha though, especially if they need to do a deal with Prawit. Srettha seems to have a lot of momentum behind him whereas even some in Pheu Thai seem to feel Thaksin's daughter is just Thaksin's daughter. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

May well be. I'm expecting Pheu Thai to choose Srettha though, especially if they need to do a deal with Prawit. Srettha seems to have a lot of momentum behind him whereas even some in Pheu Thai seem to feel Thaksin's daughter is just Thaksin's daughter. 

After the election it may well be Srettha, however, there is no doubt that Paetongtarn the star attraction before the election. She is the vote winner (by proxy).

Thaksin's daughter is just Thaksin's daughter - thus her popularity.

Bickering Flame posts have been removed.  Please adhere to forum rules.

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

10. You will not post troll messages. Trolling is the act of purposefully antagonizing forum members by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other members into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

I couldn't have put it better myself. A lot of people here seem to believe that Thai society has radically changed, but I think they'll be disappointed. The Charter Court has fired the first shot, in a process that's been well rehearsed in the past. The military and judiciary, as usual, are holding all the aces and will play them one after the other.

Edited by sidneybear
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, MrMojoRisin said:

After the election it may well be Srettha, however, there is no doubt that Paetongtarn the star attraction before the election. She is the vote winner (by proxy).

Thaksin's daughter is just Thaksin's daughter - thus her popularity.

So nothing to do with experience, ability or policies then. More of the same old same old Thai politics. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

So nothing to do with experience, ability or policies then. More of the same old same old Thai politics. 

Thaksin's clique remind me of the Clintons: nepotism at its most extreme. Thaksin knows he won't have long, so he'll surround himself with people who will do his bidding, i.e., raking in as much as possible, rather than offering different views and insights that might benefit the country. I suppose he's a businessman first and foremost, so we shouldn't be surprised. 

While we're on the Clintons, many of Thaksin's supporters remind me of Hillary Clinton: those many who disagree or hold alternative views on what might be best for Thailand are jeered at as if they were "a basket of deplorables". Politics is so very divisive these days. I can see why people like Thaksin - I used to myself because I looked at him through the lens of my western culture. But then I realised what a degenerate, soulless, and culturally barren dump the west had become, so I concluded that Thailand's conservative approach to keeping its house in order is actually a superior one.

Edited by sidneybear
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Everything to do with experience, ability and policies….Thaksin’s.

You know very little about politics (globally) if you are unaware about the benefits of name recognition (Trudeau, Bush, Ghandi, Bhutto, Aquino, etc. etc.)

21 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Oh dear.

Are we rewriting a slanted perspective on history and remembrance? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

I guess we’ll see on the 14th won’t we.

What would a Thaksin landslide say about his past performance?

A dumbed down population?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Thaksin's clique remind me of the Clintons: nepotism at its most extreme. Thaksin knows he won't have long, so he'll surround himself with people who will do his bidding, i.e., raking in as much as possible, rather than offering different views and insights that might benefit the country. I suppose he's a businessman first and foremost, so we shouldn't be surprised. 

While we're on the Clintons, many of Thaksin's supporters remind me of Hillary Clinton: those many who disagree or hold alternative views on what might be best for Thailand are jeered at as if they were "a basket of deplorables". Politics is so very divisive these days. I can see why people like Thaksin - I used to myself because I looked at him through the lens of my western culture. But then I realised what a degenerate, soulless, and culturally barren dump the west had become, so I concluded that Thailand's conservative approach to keeping its house in order is actually a superior one.

Oh the irony - the right was always so wedded to free speech and rugged individualism yet here you are cheering on oppression, censorship and authoritarianism in the name of “culture”. 

????????????

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Oh the irony - the right was always so wedded to free speech and rugged individualism yet here you are cheering on oppression, censorship and authoritarianism in the name of “culture”. 

????????????

You're confusing liberalism with conservatism. 

Edited by sidneybear
  • Love It 1

On 4/30/2023 at 8:19 PM, zzaa09 said:

It is what you do all the time!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Love It 1

17 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Thaksin is very good at marketing. He'll install his daughter as Thailand's version of Jacinda Ardern, because he knows that such a persona will be embraced by the Liberal-Left western media and institutions, and his family will thus be more connected to the western elite.

All this won't help him in Thailand, of course - his crooked clique will be ejected again - but not before they greatly benefit personally. After all, their business plan demands a solid return on investment for all this cash they're dishing out. I do hope for his sake he keeps his UAE passport up to date though. 

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, sidneybear said:

Thaksin is very good at marketing. He'll install his daughter as Thailand's version of Jacinda Ardern, because he knows that such a persona will be embraced by the Liberal-Left western media and institutions, and his family will thus be more connected to the western elite.

All this won't help him in Thailand, of course - his crooked clique will be ejected again - but not before they greatly benefit personally. After all, their business plan demands a solid return on investment for all this cash they're dishing out. I do hope for his sake he keeps his UAE passport up to date though. 

Hmmmm...

Not so fast - quite possible that PT might make a full sweep [from the speculative looks of it] and he'll be assured a return. Naturally, they'll be pushback from the traditional elite and military.......but who knows. 

Just considering all this senseless, and very Thai, drama upcoming is making me all tingly inside.....

????

2 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Hmmmm...

Not so fast - quite possible that PT might make a full sweep [from the speculative looks of it] and he'll be assured a return. Naturally, they'll be pushback from the traditional elite and military.......but who knows. 

Just considering all this senseless, and very Thai, drama upcoming is making me all tingly inside.....

????

I'm also sure that they will return - they're dishing out ten grand to all and sundry - the question only is how long before they're kicked out again, and what mechanism will be used this time around. 

I also think that this kind of drama is very Thai - the cat and mouse nature of Thai politics, along with all its colourful characters, is always an entertaining spectacle to watch.  

• Like 1