How India’s population exploded to overtake China’s and what’s next

onthedarkside

image.png.58fc25086a4a8ada57b93e802ff87e54.png

Counting millions of people is never an easy task, but the United Nations says its latest calculations show that by the end of this weekend, India will have more people than China, marking an epochal shift in global demographics.

Most of the world has grown up with China holding the title of the world’s most populous country, but decades of restrictive policies limiting families to one child dramatically slowed China’s birth rate, allowing India to pull ahead.

But having a chart-topping headcount is not necessary a title that most countries covet.

READ MORE

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/04/28/asia/india-population-overtakes-china-graphics-intl-hnk-dst-dg/index.html

CNN.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There's a big difference in policies between China and India. The Chinese have been trying to control the size of the population, in order to make it manageable and avoid the chaos of over-population.

India's stance is different. The more Indian people on the planet, the more powerfully India will be. They don't really care if it generates inneficiences and it's difficult to manage it.

Well, the OP claims that India's population is decreasing. Maybe. But how fast and how much? How much of the country still defecates out in the open? I see that India supposedly has 97 percent electrification in villages, but how many separate households does that reach? how many can afford electricity? Why does India have a space program when it lacks adequate sewage and public health facilities? OTOH, India is one of the most jingoistic countries on earth. Worse than China. In fact, I would much rather deal with Chinese than Indians. Both countries use immigration as a branch of foreign policy. A lot of countries are stupid enough to let them.

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

Well, the OP claims that India's population is decreasing. Maybe. But how fast and how much? How much of the country still defecates out in the open? I see that India supposedly has 97 percent electrification in villages, but how many separate households does that reach? how many can afford electricity? Why does India have a space program when it lacks adequate sewage and public health facilities? OTOH, India is one of the most jingoistic countries on earth. Worse than China. In fact, I would much rather deal with Chinese than Indians. Both countries use immigration as a branch of foreign policy. A lot of countries are stupid enough to let them.

Did you just use the term ‘jingoistic’

LOL

6 hours ago, John Drake said:

I don't think there are government policies in India or China encouraging deliberate emigration as past of their foreign policy. There are conditions created by short-sighted governments, and the Indians particularly are using any loophole available.

When economic growth and housing Ponzi schemes are propped up mainly with population increase, it would be pretty normal to see movement of people.

https://www.afr.com/policy/health-and-education/a-mockery-of-the-visa-system-indian-students-dodge-uni-rules-20230413-p5d077

This one has been going for many years, with the blessing of the Australian government. This year they are aiming at 400k new migrants, and make a guess, probably between 25-50% would arrive from the subcontinent. At one point Nepal, one of the poorest countries in the world had nearly 50 thousands full fee paying students in Australia, one of the most expensive countries in the world.

Give it another 15-20 years, in the end Sydney will start resembling Chennai.