Netflix

DrJack54

Not sure correct forum and I did research but very old Threads. 

So here is the situation. 

Been watching Netflix for quite some time.

My partners friend was a subscriber and had a deal where you can share 4 accounts.

So either the friend ended subscription or Netflix stopped that deal.

I want something similar.

Happy to subscribe.

There is one issue. 

I cannot connect tv to my condo wifi.

I use my cell phone as a personal hotspot. 

Works fine. 

Appreciate any suggestions of alternatives to watch some movie/series etc content. 

TIA. 

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks for post.

I'm not fussed about using cell as hotspot.

It's more asking about if Netflix is best option and do you just subscribe online etc

Android box will solve all issues…

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, marin said:

Netflix is cancelling all accounts other than one person, it seems worldwide. Why not just get the basic plan? Like B 150 a month or so if you enjoy. Use an HDMI cable from laptop to TV. 

Thanks.

Clearly I'm slightly tech challenged.

As stated ...I pay my condo office wifi every month.

At present the phone connects to building wifi and the tv to my hotspot. 

Works fine. 

So follow your idea I just sign up online? 

Being old school prefer to do that in person but clearly not an option.

Ta. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Ta. 

Its easy, trust me I am as or more old school than you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks.

Works fine. 

Do you know why your TV can't connect to the building WiFi but can connect to your phone's WiFi hotspot?

That sounds a little strange. Unless the building WiFi is 5 GHz only (which would be unusual) and your TV only supports 2.4 GHz

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Do you know why your TV can't connect to the building WiFi but can connect to your phone's WiFi hotspot?

Trust me I have tried.

The building has a wifi set up that for example it only allows one connection.

My partner has her own phone plane. Data etc.

I do not.

We cannot sit in room both connected to condo wifi. 

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks.

Works fine. 

Ta. 

'Slightly tech challenged.'?

Oh boy, do I hear ya, DrJack. ????

Believe me, you ain't alone. I've got very similarly-related queries that I want to ask on this forum in due course (unless they're by chance answered for me in this thread), but I fear that some members may be too stunned by my ignorance to answer. ????

• Love It 1

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Trust me I have tried.

The building has a wifi set up that for example it only allows one connection.

My partner has her own phone plane. Data etc.

I do not.

We cannot sit in room both connected to condo wifi. 

Question,

do you have to login via for example a webbrowser to be able to use the Condo Wifi. That was the case in our condo. 

9 minutes ago, Toolong said:

may be too stunned by my ignorance to answer. ????

You are aware of the saying ..

"Ignorance is bliss" 

I live a very blissful life! 

Some very helpful posts above.

I just now did a Netflix search and article that Yes they have stopped account sharing.

However they have reduced membership cost.

From something like 269 to 169b .

Obviously that would be basic package. 

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Question,

do you have to login via for example a webbrowser to be able to use the Condo Wifi. That was the case in our condo. 

Yes. 

I need to connect every time I reenter condo or every morning.

Unlike bars etc where I visit and auto connect as have been there previously. 

Bit embarrassing how many bars my cell auto connects to. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, timendres said:

I have had Netflix so long, for years I was getting DVDs mailed to my house in the US.

I have tried almost every streaming service out there, and Netflix is still my top choice.

We seem to get lot of Asian content here in Thailand but I've been happy with the content. 

I guess you can pay different levels of subscription and have more variety. 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

We seem to get lot of Asian content here in Thailand but I've been happy with the content. 

I actually subscribe to the premium package. I do not think the available content depends on the plan. I believe it is the result of the contracts Netflix signs with the content owners. I have been loving a lot of the Korean content, which my friends on the US do not see. Archer is available here, but not in the US. But I do miss some content available in the US, for example Columbo. I just wish those folks could sort it all out so that all of the content was available everywhere.

• Thanks 1

I was also enjoying it free as were a few other members of the extended tribe, courtesy of the wife's daughters husband who put the app on my smart tv and gave his password to various other family members last time they came over here pre covid 

Eventually Netflix  caught him out and banned him So I have just opened my own account.  the Cheapest netflix "package" is about 99 baht if I remember correctly , but i think it only allows you watch it on a mobile phone ,however I think you can download but its 480 sd  the films too There's another package that costs around 165 bht and you can watch it on various devices including a tablet or laptop or TV, most expensive is around 400bt  its all on the website

Have you considered sending it to your phone / tablet or laptop and and using the screen mirroring function  to send the image to your TV. Most smartphones and even windows 7 laptops can do it but win 10 is easier

They did it here once when the wifi on the TV started playing up halfway through a film

Just a word of advice , it might be worth going for the 165 bt package, which includes TV as an option, as they may have a way to stop you screen mirroring the phone only package.

I encountered something similar in the UK with Virgin media and I could only send the Sound to my tv and not the picture as the bloody thing could tell my TV was not a "mobile device"

Yes you can just sign up online, I think you need an email address and mobile phone no as they send you a one off txt message with a  security code  to put into the app    there's no minimum term and can cancel at anytime. I'm also old school but its easy enough

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If you get a VPN then you connect via US server and get US content.

• Like 1

I share a password from my youngest daughter in UK. Has worked well for the past few years. I can VPN to UK or US to get content from Netflix in those countries.

Also have an Android box but to be honest don't use it much. Use mostly Netflix, iPlayer, Amazon..

The missis was on the phone to the daughter a few days ago and HBO was mentioned  but I have no idea how it compares, Used to have an HBO channel years ago when we used the UBC before it became True  but there was a lot of repeats The app may be different

The best thing about netflix  for me other than the huge variety  is the various language / subtitle combinations available and not just for her sake, I don't have a fancy 5.1 surround sound system and I think that may be why sometimes find that the voices are drowned out by the sound effects especially in the "big" movies  (tv series generally are ok )  Anybody else noticed that?

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Thanks 1

Guys Guys.

I'm overwhelmed and at same time so so appreciative of the replies.

Even couple of informative PM,s 

Slight update...

The 10 year gf is so so sensitive she just used "True Money" to buy one month or whatever.

169b due to thinking she had let me down. What the heck. Had to keep telling her it's not her fault! 

When it opens it's all Thai and we cannot find settings. 

Thanks guys will look into it tomorrow. 

41 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Guys Guys.

I'm overwhelmed and at same time so so appreciative of the replies.

Even couple of informative PM,s 

Slight update...

The 10 year gf is so so sensitive she just used "True Money" to buy one month or whatever.

169b due to thinking she had let me down. What the heck. Had to keep telling her it's not her fault! 

When it opens it's all Thai and we cannot find settings. 

Thanks guys will look into it tomorrow. 

I signed up myself and (or so)  it was all in english but try this  ( No guarantees though)  but  it worked for me ...

First you need to create a profile for at least one of you, This simply involves entering a name, and then clicking on 3 movies that you like from a selection of various genres which appear on the screen.  This apparently enables them to tailor the kind of movies they offer you to "improve the netflix  experience "and all that b/s 

Me and her have one each, both were originally in english as I opened the account in english I suppose.    she wanted hers in Thai,     however  it was easy to change. and as a result of the 3 films she selected for her profile she gets mainly Thai films offered to her   I get mainly English

Once you have created your profile or in your case once the GF has created a profile for you,  you will get a little picture representing you as a user  I think its called an  "avatar"   click on that and your home page will open up. then a small menu is available in the top right corner click on the little avatar and then "manage my profile" she'll maybe  have to do it for you as it will probably still be  in Thai but there is a language setting that can be changed to English  you should then be good to go.   if that doesn't work there is a live chat facility which should be able to help but I think you'll be fine

Edited by Bday Prang

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

the voices are drowned out by the sound effects especially in the "big" movies  (tv series generally are ok )  Anybody else noticed that?

It's a well known problem, and the reason almost 50% of people use captions even in their own language. I just read that Amazon is actually implementing a 'fix' for this soon in a lot of their content. 

Yes, you can turn it up, but then your condo neighbors start banging on the walls. Wireless ear buds are another option. ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, frantick said:

It's a well known problem, and the reason almost 50% of people use captions even in their own language. I just read that Amazon is actually implementing a 'fix' for this soon in a lot of their content. 

Yes, you can turn it up, but then your condo neighbors start banging on the walls. Wireless ear buds are another option. ????

yep i use headphones at night

1 minute ago, frantick said:

Oh Good , I thought it was just me,      ear buds would be an option but I'd probably burst my eardrums when the explosions and shootouts start.  would a sound bar thing,  or a  5.1  surround sound speaker set up help or would it make things worse, it can be very frustrating the way it is at present