Locked out of Bangkok Bank bualuang banking app (overseas)

I have just come unstuck with the Bangkok Bank smartphone app when the phone it was hosted on died overnight.

I swapped the SIM into the new phone and tried to activate their app there. You have to turn off Wi-Fi on the phone to 'Get started'

The first 'User ID' activation option using the Bualuang iBanking login/password gives the generic 'an error has occurred' prompt.

So tried the next option using the Be1st ATM Debit card number/password which tells me I am already registered but doesn't proceed to the customer login and kicks you back to 'Get started'. Doh!

The third option uses account number and Citizen ID number, but that says the information I'm providing is incorrect, which it isn't. However, it only accepts the 13-digit Thai ID No. format. When I updated my bank account information in a branch a few years back, they never asked for that, just the passport number. This isn't accepted on the app (not enough digits).

I think the reason the User ID activation option is failing is that it still has the dead phone selected as the default and only device. I can't access the app on the dead phone to deselect it.

So it looks like I will need to visit the bank and/or an ATM to get this sorted out. Their online information only seems to address a new activation on a new device or with a new number. The instructions are also linked to setting up new Bualuang iBanking access (new usernames/passwords) which I DO NOT want to change.

My Be1st ATM debit card is expiring next month so I will visit the branch this morning armed with all the identification, old and new passports, yellow book and pink card AND PASSBOOK to see if I can kill two (or three) birds with one stone.

In the meantime, I just activated three UK bank and two US bank apps on the new phone with no faffing about. Verified the three account ID items requested with a single OTP.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I have just come unstuck with the Bangkok Bank smartphone app when the phone it was hosted on died overnight.

I swapped the SIM into the new phone and tried to activate their app there. You have to turn off Wi-Fi on the phone to 'Get started'

The first 'User ID' activation option using the Bualuang iBanking login/password gives the generic 'an error has occurred' prompt.

So tried the next option using the Be1st ATM Debit card number/password which tells me I am already registered but doesn't proceed to the customer login and kicks you back to 'Get started'. Doh!

The third option uses account number and Citizen ID number, but that says the information I'm providing is incorrect, which it isn't. However, it only accepts the 13-digit Thai ID No. format. When I updated my bank account information in a branch a few years back, they never asked for that, just the passport number. This isn't accepted on the app (not enough digits).

I think the reason the User ID activation option is failing is that it still has the dead phone selected as the default and only device. I can't access the app on the dead phone to deselect it.

So it looks like I will need to visit the bank and/or an ATM to get this sorted out. Their online information only seems to address a new activation on a new device or with a new number. The instructions are also linked to setting up new Bualuang iBanking access (new usernames/passwords) which I DO NOT want to change.

My Be1st ATM debit card is expiring next month so I will visit the branch this morning armed with all the identification, old and new passports, yellow book and pink card AND PASSBOOK to see if I can kill two (or three) birds with one stone.

In the meantime, I just activated three UK bank and two US bank apps on the new phone with no faffing about. Verified the three account ID items requested with a single OTP.

I posted about this problem last month, many people in denial

https://aseannow.com/topic/1309736-bangkok-bank-app-pita-setup-when-using-a-new-phone/

• Thanks 1

I left BB this year, .Bad service at some branches (like all banks) but the annual fees changes. Not to mention that some branches just refuse to handle simple admiinstrative tasks to manage the account and rudely say to get it done in the branch where you opened the account. But they also hint that if you open the account in their branch, life will be made far more easy. The worst are the small branches of Bangkok Branch around NANA bts.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

I left BB this year, .Bad service at some branches (like all banks) but the annual fees changes. Not to mention that some branches just refuse to handle simple admiinstrative tasks to manage the account and rudely say to get it done in the branch where you opened the account. But they also hint that if you open the account in their branch, life will be made far more easy. The worst are the small branches of Bangkok Branch around NANA bts.

I've been banking with Bangkok Bank for almost twenty years. I'm not about to jump through arbitrary hoops and open an account with any of their rival banks and learning about their poor customer service, annual fees and indifferent online banking services "like all banks" just because my phone died.

• Agree 1

On 4/30/2023 at 11:50 AM, sqwakvfr said:

I'm in CNX and two weeks ago I was locked out of the Bangkok Bank app as well.  I called the customer service help line (sometimes it is not so helpful), Through trial and error and in the end the only I can access the bank app was to deactivate the Anti-Virus software on the phone.  So every time I use prompt pay or access my account I have to first deactivate the anti-virus software.  So far I have not been able to determine why this only impacts the Bangkok Bank Application.  I have lived in LOS long enough to know the most important thing when it comes to dealing with Thai People or Thoi companies is:  NEVER ASK WHY.  

How and why do you have anti virus software on your phone? Is it a windows phone? 

• 4 months later...
On 11/11/2023 at 10:02 AM, NanLaew said:

I couldn't update the passport information, as that can (still) only be done at the branch where the account was opened.

I just stumbled upon this thread. Do you still have to go to the branch where the account was opened? Or has that, most inconvenient, rule changed?

I got a new phone and also can't set my Bangkok Bank app up, so I guess I have to visit the bank next time I'm in Thailand. Has anything changed since the start of this thread? Anything I should be aware of?

9 minutes ago, umbrellahead said:

I just stumbled upon this thread. Do you still have to go to the branch where the account was opened? Or has that, most inconvenient, rule changed?

I got a new phone and also can't set my Bangkok Bank app up, so I guess I have to visit the bank next time I'm in Thailand. Has anything changed since the start of this thread? Anything I should be aware of?

Yes have to go to a branch to give signed copies of passport to update the bank records.

When I installed the app for online banking with BB, had to use the BB atm in conjunction with the phone to set it up.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, freeworld said:

Yes have to go to a branch to give signed copies of passport to update the bank records.

When I installed the app for online banking with BB, had to use the BB atm in conjunction with the phone to set it up.

Dang, but thanks for the information.