Thai Health Ministry launches annual Covid jab campaign

webfact

image.jpeg

by Tanakorn Sangiam

BANGKOK (NNT) - Health authorities in Thailand have started to provide another round of COVID-19 boosters, this time as single jabs for the entire year, as new cases continue to rise after the Songkran holidays.

According to the National Communicable Disease Committee, any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the Food and Drug Administration can be used as an annual shot, with the number of doses a person has already received no longer taken into consideration.

Health authorities are encouraging the elderly, people with underlying health conditions, and children under 5 years old to get their annual boosters, as well as people who work in crowded conditions or are required to interact with many people, and medical and public health workers.

The committee also recommends that the COVID-19 vaccine can be delivered alongside a flu shot in a single visit, by administering each vaccine into different arms. The two vaccines, if administered on different dates, can be given without the requirement to delay a subsequent shot by any specific amount of days.

This recommendation is made as Thailand will soon enter the rainy season, which is considered a flu season in the country, while new cases of COVID-19 have been on the rise since the Songkran holidays. The vaccines are now available through many hospitals and clinics across the country.

The Ministry of Public Health reported a total of 1,811 new COVID-19 cases on 23-29 April 2023, including 157 patients developing lung infections, 79 patients requiring manual ventilation, and 10 deaths.

The latest figure was higher than the previous two weeks, where the case number grew from 435 cases on 9-15 April, to 1,088 cases on 16-22 April, to the latest figure of 1,811 cases.

Full story: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230502090738247

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-05-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

"The vaccines are now available through many hospitals and clinics across the country."

My information tells me they're not. Not the bivalents and not here in Pattaya. Please enlighten me if I'm wrong.

20 minutes ago, bradiston said:

"The vaccines are now available through many hospitals and clinics across the country."

My information tells me they're not. Not the bivalents and not here in Pattaya. Please enlighten me if I'm wrong.

I believe I saw recently that one of the main government hospitals in Chonburi was offering vaccinations....but I didn't hold onto the details I had on that. ????

One way to try, in general... The Thai MoPH and BMA seem to be using a mobile phone app called "QueQ" that, once installed, has a section on vaccination sites surrounding the area of the user.  Presumably MoPH is updating that as things change on the ground.

QR code for the QueQ app is shown in the BMA graphic below:

73506398_2023-03-12BMApromoreFridayvaccineavailincludingPfizerbivalent.jpg.7a116c3e0ea097e94eb607183580f28e.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

Countries are winding back vaccination programmes. Switzerland has stopped it altogether for now. If you have severe comorbidities you go to your doctor and seek advice. Same for the UK which is now for over 75 and Australia which is over 65. Don't know about the US as that's a state by state thing. I would like to see a break down by age and comorbidities of those hospitalised here and those who have died here. Is it with or is it from?

13 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Switzerland has stopped it altogether for now.

Regarding Switzerland (as of April 2023):

"High-risk individuals can still access the vaccines after consulting a doctor, the FOPH's website says. That includes people who are older than 65, have chronic health conditions or are pregnant.

"Vaccination may be wise in individual cases, as it improves protection against developing severe Covid-19 for several months," the agency's recommendations say.

The FOPH plans to update its guidelines ahead of the fall and winter seasons, but Ming told AFP they could change earlier if Switzerland's epidemiological situation and immunity levels shift."

https://factcheck.afp.com/doc.afp.com.33CZ8KQ

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

New cases are not severe and mild only. No need for a new jab. My son just had it a third time, mild fever for 1 day, 2 negative ATK tests after 3 days. Contaminated no other family members although nobody was wearing a mask, not even my son 

1 hour ago, Dan Rayong said:

New cases are not severe and mild only. No need for a new jab.

Your comment above is simply false. You apparently haven't been paying attention to the news.... Not serious for some, if you're lucky. Very serious for others. You wanna spin the roulette wheel with your health?

10 COVID deaths in Thailand last week, double the week before... Tell them it's "not severe and mild only."

And the following as well:

"New weekly COVID hospitalizations in Thailand continued their sharp rise for a fifth consecutive week hitting 1,811 new cases as of last week (April 23-29), up more than 66% percent from the prior week and more than 10-fold from the start of the month, according to newly released data by the Ministry of Public Health.

Also last week, the share of COVID hospitalizations reported in serious condition rose to 157, more than doubling from the 73 count two weeks ago and the 19 counted during the first week of April (April 2-8). Likewise, the share of COVID hospitalized patients requiring intubation to breath more than doubled to 79 last week compared to 35 two weeks ago, and 14 the first week of April."

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, rtco said:

Don't they follow the science anymore? Not that they did in the first place. Knowing what I know now about vaccines I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Another conspiracy theorist.

And Global Warning is also a fairy tale.

4 hours ago, bradiston said: