Thai chess team eyes 4 golds in SEA Games despite questionable arbiter decisions

snoop1130

Thai-PBS-World-logo-2023-05-02T152328.617.png

Thailand’s national chess team at the SEA Games in Cambodia is not discouraged by the questionable arbiter decisions of the Cambodian host and expects to win four out of seven golds in the chess competition.

Questions have been raised over the arbiter decisions in two games, one between a Thai player and a Cambodian and the other between a Thai and a Vietnamese player.

In the game between Thai chess player Tupfah Khumnorkaew and his Cambodian rival, the Cambodian arbiter decided that the game was a draw, on the grounds that Tupfah made a foul move, forcing the Cambodian player to refuse to continue the game.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-chess-team-eyes-4-golds-in-sea-games-despite-questionable-arbiter-decisions/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-05-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

on the grounds that Tupfah made a foul move,

What is a "foul move"? Surely you can only move a piece in the prescribed way and if not replace it and move it properly - or does it not work like that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, topt said:

What is a "foul move"? Surely you can only move a piece in the prescribed way and if not replace it and move it properly - or does it not work like that?

Jeez, I don't know, maybe a 'touch and move' obligation, where a move was impossible or detrimental. I lost a chess tournament that way as a kid. Pretty sure the rules and consequences are well laid out. 

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Jeez, I don't know, maybe a 'touch and move' obligation, where a move was impossible or detrimental. I lost a chess tournament that way as a kid. Pretty sure the rules and consequences are well laid out. 

Yes I am sure. I never played that seriously (using the clock) but the article almost makes it sound like a deliberate foul which I did not realise could happen in chess.

FIDE rule 7.5.1    An illegal move is completed once the player has pressed his/her clock. If during a game it is found that an illegal move has been completed, the position immediately before the irregularity shall be reinstated. If the position immediately before the irregularity cannot be determined, the game shall continue from the last identifiable position prior to the irregularity. Articles 4.3 and 4.7 apply to the move replacing the illegal move. The game shall then continue from this reinstated position.

7.5.5    After the action taken under Article 7.5.1, 7.5.2, 7.5.3 or 7.5.4 for the first completed illegal move by a player, the arbiter shall give two minutes extra time to his/her opponent; for the second completed illegal move by the same player the arbiter shall declare the game lost by this player. However, the game is drawn if the position is such that the opponent cannot checkmate the player’s king by any possible series of legal moves.

• Like 1