Lucky lottery winner in Thailand banks 36 million baht

snoop1130

saturday-lottery.jpg

Thailand‘s Government Lottery Office (GLO) revealed that one lucky winner scooped a life-changing 36 million baht (over US$1 million) in the digital lottery draw today (May 2) after purchasing six winning digital tickets.

Today, the number 834019 was drawn in Thailand’s twice-monthly government lottery draw. Anyone who bought a ticket with this number wins the lottery’s first prize of 6 million baht.

The GLO revealed that 19 tickets with the winning number were bought through their digital platform before the draw, totalling 114 million baht in winnings. According to the GLO, seven people bought one winning ticket (6 million baht prize), one person bought two winning tickets (12 million baht prize), one person bought four tickets (24 million baht) and one person bought six tickets (36 million baht).

An anonymous Thai national bought 19 winning tickets for the government lottery draw on April 16, winning a staggering 114 million baht (US$3.3 million).

After the April 1 lotto draw, the GLO announced that winners can no longer claim their prize in cash from the GLO. If the winner’s prize exceeds 2 million baht, the GLO will transfer to a Government Savings Bank account or a Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) bank account.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/lucky-lottery-winner-in-thailand-banks-36-million-baht

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

An anonymous Thai national bought 19 winning tickets for the government lottery draw on April 16, winning a staggering 114 million baht (US$3.3 million).

I'm betting a relative of one of the organisers.

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

If the winner’s prize exceeds 2 million baht, the GLO will transfer to a Government Savings Bank account or a Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) bank account.

So foreigners can't win?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:
14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

If the winner’s prize exceeds 2 million baht, the GLO will transfer to a Government Savings Bank account or a Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) bank account.

So foreigners can't win?

You can. Just make sure it is not the first prize.

So foreigners can't win?

Foreigners can win .....   I'm sure it could be transferred into whichever Thai bank you have or you could arrange with a specific bank to open a new account. 

• Like 1

So foreigners can't win?

If you click the link to the full story it says foreigners without a Thai bank account can still claim the prize in cash.

Plus there are plenty of foreigners here who have a Thai bank account, all those on a retirement visa or marriage extension spring to mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't get my head round how the digital system works - there is supposed to be a maximum number of tickets per set of numbers, which I believe is nineteen tickets per set. If all sets of numbers are produced in paper form and then distributed around the country, how can they then sell numbers online without exceeding 19?

Are they reserving sets of numbers solely for digital sale only? If so, is it just a coincidence that incredibly lucky people are purchasing the full (or almost full) set of winning numbers via the digital system on what looks like a regular basis?

On 5/3/2023 at 6:51 AM, malibukid said:

in America you can choose your own numbers.  why not here? stupid

Different system.....in America they don't give you all the prize.

Here you can pick your number, within the confines of what is on the tray!

22 hours ago, nahkit said:

If you click the link to the full story it says foreigners without a Thai bank account can still claim the prize in cash.

Plus there are plenty of foreigners here who have a Thai bank account, all those on a retirement visa or marriage extension spring to mind.

Thank you.  As a UK National I am unable to play the UK lottery except by a proxy.