Chonburi hotels struggle with labor shortages amidst influx of tourists

webfact

On 5/3/2023 at 7:50 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Only until they ditch their two typical, very stupid requirements:

1) University degrees

2) Not older than 35

Would the doors be open to many Thais, particular poor Issan ladies, left to work only as roadside stall vendors or market hawkers.

Not only hotels. On my recent trip to Pattaya I noticed that at a good number of convenience stores there not only seemed to be a lack of staff, but particularly of female staff, who, possibly, rather went for more lucrative income sources. (Contrary to other places in Thailand, the staff of some stores was exclusively male, while usually it is the other way round.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much

On 5/3/2023 at 9:24 AM, pattaya1234was said:

Really? In the top hotels Receptionists are not permitted to sit down-they stand for all of their 10hr shift When you have 150 rooms occupied by Thais checking out at the last minute , noon, and another 150 waiting to check in at 2pm it is not much fun-I can assure you. I mention Thais because they use the limits whereas foreigners tend to drift away during the morning giving the cleaners time to clean.. Clean 150 rooms in 2 hours? You need an army of cleaners for that! And, by the way, they all speak and write excellent English.

Very good observation.Thais staying right up until the last minute to get their money's worth. Beyond logic.They probably stay that long to charge their phones thinking of free electricity and air con. 

Staff? Owners pretend to pay workers pretend to work.

3 hours ago, jaideedave said:

Very good observation.Thais staying right up until the last minute to get their money's worth. Beyond logic.They probably stay that long to charge their phones thinking of free electricity and air con. 

Staff? Owners pretend to pay workers pretend to work.

Don’t knock it. When I returned early to my car parked on a meter in central London I sat in it for the remaining 30 minutes to get my money’s worth ???? 

I went into the McDonald’s where I told the lad serving me that there are meters outside earning more than him ! 

On 5/3/2023 at 9:51 PM, spidermike007 said:

Make it easier for Burmese and Cambodians to get work visas, and make it free. You need labor? Get creative and show some humility. 

And feed them properly, The girl I know both her and her husband work at the same hotel and the food they give to the staff is mai aroi, they dont live far from the hotel they come home to eat, 

• Sad 1

On 5/3/2023 at 5:47 PM, geisha said:

Surely they are not asking for university degrees for cleaning staff and kitchen helps ? Most of my usual haunts have employed Burmese , excellent workers, some Cambodian but speak little Thai. All legal. One very good restaurant in Phuket has had 3 chefs in one month ! Left for no reason ! 
Then there’s the long hours., low pay, and huge problem, nowhere decent to live ! Every year I spend a few months in Thailand, buy my own fans as don’t like constant air cons, pots and pans ,towels. Clean pillows, hate ones that aren’t new. Then I give them to the waiters and waitresses when I leave. Ive seen plenty of awful lodgings, clean enough, but really basic shared between a few, one

as a waiter I know with his whole family on the floor! 

same problem in lots of countries beach resorts, no decent lodgings , low pay, long hours. No staff .
Have a look at some of the places for rent around Soi 5 Jomtien, or that Russian enclave further down after the temple . 10,000 Baht a month for a ….hole, and the 5000B ones forget it., The government lives in their own cosy homes with transport and good pay, they have no idea.

Yes many employers insist on bachelors degree, but ask them why and they don't know why. Blind copying of what others are doing. 

A twist of this, my Thai nephew has 2 bachelor and 2 masters degrees.

Went for one job which avertised 'need bachelor degree' and he showed all 4 degrees and he got the job.

Company turned out to be less than honest re salary and benefits (half salary first 6 months, plus made a big deal about the company supporting health insurance with triple payments (all bullshxx).

Next company said 'over qualified' no job.

Third company he showed only one bachelor degree, got the job and 18 months later has had 2 job promotions and now decent salary and benefits. 

Chonburi city area.