Please comment on the proposed house design for a small plot of land that we own.

My wife and I bought 2 plots of land next to each other with a small soi in the middle. 

Im planning to build / fund a small guest house on the smaller block and the wife will build a bigger family plot on her larger land. 

Im limited with options due to the small size of the land which is 60m x 18.3m

Photos are attached of the proposed house I saw in a magazine. Its simple modern design. As its only a guest house Im ok with just 2 bedrooms with large living area. 4m high ceilings. Verandahs wrapped all the way around (on the sides only 1.5wide but on the ends 2m wide). Car port at one end. Pool at the other end. 

The walls will be constructed of lightweight conventional block and the ceiling of metal sheet PU form 3 inches

Ive never done it before but theres a plan attached that’s not to scale obviously as I have no idea about all that. 

If you have any knowledge about this please comment and help me. 

The only thing I don’t know about is the laundry. The builder Im getting a quote from said he could build a small laundry room at the back of the car port area. Or should I just put a front end load washing machine in one of the bathrooms?

Are the sizes of the walk in wardrobe, bedroom and bathrooms enough?

The edge of the veranda to the soi road is 1.5m which I realize is not correct as theres a 2m rule. The buider said no worries as theres no passing cars because the road is a no through road. On the other side we will respect the 2m rule. What do you think about this?

The neighbouring houses kind of look the same style as this house except they look 60 yrs old and run down. 

Any positive or negative comments are appreciated

thanks

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3444.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

IMG_3445.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a web site that has 30 house designs.  Maybe one will work for you?  The complete architecture designs for each design are also linked on the page, but it can be tricky to match the house picture with the architectural drawings.  Using one of these designs will speed up the whole build process.  The design will be accepted by the government.  We built #23, just about ready for move-in!  I included the architectural drawing for #23, which is a compact design that might fit on your plot.

https://www.checkraka.com/house/article/126668

Plans for House Design 23.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A 250sqm "guest house" and you worry about where to put a laundry machine? How big is your main house, 1500sqm?

You should just look at some regular houses (most houses are smaller than your planned guest house though), then you get an idea how to design the layout.

2 hours ago, HarryWho said:

Here is a web site that has 30 house designs.  Maybe one will work for you?  The complete architecture designs for each design are also linked on the page, but it can be tricky to match the house picture with the architectural drawings.  Using one of these designs will speed up the whole build process.  The design will be accepted by the government.  We built #23, just about ready for move-in!  I included the architectural drawing for #23, which is a compact design that might fit on your plot.

Plans for House Design 23.pdf 6.36 MB · 9 downloads

LOL TIT.  I clicked the download link on the page you provided and it says 500-Internal Server Error.

Does anyone have a working link to download these free plans from the Bangkok Housing Development office?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, HarryWho said:

Plans for House Design 23.pdf 6.36 MB · 9 downloads

What was your total build cost?

Edited by Adumbration

51 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

LOL TIT.  I clicked the download link on the page you provided and it says 500-Internal Server Error.

Does anyone have a working link to download these free plans from the Bangkok Housing Development office?

You'll have to click on the PDF from HarryWho.

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

Why would you have the en-suites backing on to the living area. Bad design.

Nothing wrong with that at all.  With one of the baths you could possibly have a second hall entrance so guests could use the bathroom without going into the bedroom.

• Like 1

You are expecting the Russian army as guests? The GH I had built is 36 sqm, ample room for a Western couple or Thai family.

I suggest you check the orientation of the beds, power points and other fixtures carefully at your local temple, as the monks may decline to bless it if it is out of kilter with their requirements. It won't upset you; however, if your wife is Thai.................

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Link works fine for me.

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Why would you have the en-suites backing on to the living area. Bad design.

I was there again this morning and thought the same as you actually. I wonder if I should swap the positions of the proposed ensuite bathroom with the walk in wardrobe. Do you think this is a better idea. Have a door access from the room and a door in the hallway to the bathroom?

25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You are expecting the Russian army as guests? The GH I had built is 36 sqm, ample room for a Western couple or Thai family.

I suggest you check the orientation of the beds, power points and other fixtures carefully at your local temple, as the monks may decline to bless it if it is out of kilter with their requirements. It won't upset you; however, if your wife is Thai.................

I prefer large living spaces with high ceilings 4m. Nothing worse than small rooms with low ceilings. It increases potential sale price. Has a good feeling when walking inside. 

4 hours ago, HarryWho said:

Plans for House Design 23.pdf 6.36 MB · 22 downloads

Im not interested in other designs. Please make comment on my design and the chosen house. thanks

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ubonr1971 said:

I was there again this morning and thought the same as you actually. I wonder if I should swap the positions of the proposed ensuite bathroom with the walk in wardrobe. Do you think this is a better idea. Have a door access from the room and a door in the hallway to the bathroom?

My thoughts are to move the bdrm to the other end so you enter the living room instead of a hall then you could eliminate the hall all together.  It would also allow the kitchen and laundry to offshoot the carport 

Not commenting on the house detail but consider your plot layout. How wide is the Soi and can you turn your car in and out ? You will have to reverse out onto the main road ? Dodgy. And would you really want your pool and sitting area alongside a main road ? I would consider reversing the layout with your pool area at the back and car access at the front. You might then have more room, bigger gates for car manouevering ?

You should have both bathrooms on the one side of the building next to each other.  One as ensuite and the other with door to the hall to be used by other people/bedroom

If you do that then plumbing will be a lot easier and MORE accessible in case of the need for repairs.

Your current design is a disaster.  Are you going to have two seperate sets of septic tanks and grey water tanks?  One set on each side of the building?

And what about the external pipe work on the outside of the bathroom walls.  Both the front and back of the property will be marred by visible plumbing.

Of course you could conceal your pvc pipes under the rendering...but we all know how that works out in Thailand in the long run.

Edited by Adumbration

2 hours ago, Rintarah2 said:

Not commenting on the house detail but consider your plot layout. How wide is the Soi and can you turn your car in and out ? You will have to reverse out onto the main road ?

You need to pay attention to the measurements, this is not the typical guest house size.

His car parking area would easily fit several cars, so turning around on his own property is no problem if there is only one or two cars.

2 hours ago, Rintarah2 said:

Not commenting on the house detail but consider your plot layout. How wide is the Soi and can you turn your car in and out ? You will have to reverse out onto the main road ? Dodgy. And would you really want your pool and sitting area alongside a main road ? I would consider reversing the layout with your pool area at the back and car access at the front. You might then have more room, bigger gates for car manouevering ?

Its a quiet village area. I did think about the reverse but theres too many trees out the back area. 

I will be reversing into a soi that no one drives on. Its a no through road. And we own the land on the other side as well. 

The road at the front near the pool area has very minimal passing traffic. Not an issue

6 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

Yes, swap the ensuites with the robes, then less noise transmission to the living area. Do not see the necessity of a hallway door to the bathroom. The way it is configured the door to the bedroom will not be too far from the bathroom for extra guests to use.

45 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Your current design is a disaster.  Are you going to have two seperate sets of septic tanks and grey water tanks?  One set on each side of the building?

Thanks for your comment. I will have to ask about this. Maybe have to go back to the drawing board... I have never done this before and thus have limited knowledge.