Please comment on the proposed house design for a small plot of land that we own.

3 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

Thanks for your comment. I will have to ask about this. Maybe have to go back to the drawing board... I have never done this before and thus have limited knowledge. 

No need for separate septic tanks, easy to pipe both bathrooms to one. The location of the septic will depend on whether you want the kitchen waste to also run into it.

• Thanks 1

When I built my house, the option was a bungalow or a two-story house.

Boy, am I glad I went for the house option, the heat stays mainly upstairs, a nice buffer zone....Just use A/C in my bedroom for a few hours, then ceiling fan........................:intheclub:

6 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

I prefer large living spaces with high ceilings 4m. Nothing worse than small rooms with low ceilings. It increases potential sale price. Has a good feeling when walking inside. 

Preferences because of good feelings I can relate to.

I very much doubt that four metre ceilings in a house in a small village, likely in rural Ubon, with surrounding 60 yr old run down houses, will increase the sale price one baht.

Building the best house in the street is never a good investment anywhere.

Edited by LosLobo

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

Preferences because of good feelings I can relate to.

I very much doubt that four metre ceilings in a house in a small village, likely in rural Ubon, with surrounding 60 yr old run down houses, will increase the sale price one baht.

Building the best house in the street is never a good investment anywhere.

Except that our neighbours dont have our views...

• Haha 1

If you can afford i would build a 3 or 4 story building with a separate studio apartment on each floor, 1 bedroom, kitchen, living area. Easy to rent to locals or tourists. You could live in one unit.

Also check out:

Edited by Don Chance
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

You like listening to bathroom noises?

There are solid walls facing the living area so there shouldn't be noticeable noise.   Powder rooms are often located near the main living areas.

Well, you could change some of the layout; that will occur if you keep looking at the plan and think about practicality. 

More importantly, consider insulation. This will save money in the long run. I have R36 in my attic space and I could even add more! Our house is much cooler (a/ off) than any of the uninsulated, Thai style houses in our neighborhood. Automatic vent fan (thermostically controlled) to exhaust the dead air above the insulation. And last, way more electrical outlets than the Thai - standard, which seems to rely on extension cords from the local hardware store/both inside and all-weather ones outside.

Another consideration (after years of maintenance on our home here) is access points for water, drains and electrical.  I'm looking right now at, having to break concrete to fix a water leak - you'll thank yourself for doing this down the road and it will raise resale value.

8 hours ago, pizzachang said:

Well, you could change some of the layout; that will occur if you keep looking at the plan and think about practicality. 

More importantly, consider insulation. This will save money in the long run. I have R36 in my attic space and I could even add more! Our house is much cooler (a/ off) than any of the uninsulated, Thai style houses in our neighborhood. Automatic vent fan (thermostically controlled) to exhaust the dead air above the insulation. And last, way more electrical outlets than the Thai - standard, which seems to rely on extension cords from the local hardware store/both inside and all-weather ones outside.

Another consideration (after years of maintenance on our home here) is access points for water, drains and electrical.  I'm looking right now at, having to break concrete to fix a water leak - you'll thank yourself for doing this down the road and it will raise resale value.

THanks for your comments. 

I will 100% have the 150mm R38 insulation batts in the ceiling. Do you think its necessary to also have the 'thermal reflective sislation sheets' under the tile roof?? Or is that overboard?

Ive never heard of the automatic vent fan. I googled it and found this:

https://atticsandmore.com/types-of-attic-ventilation/

Is this what you are talking about. Or something else. Please give me more information. 

Regarding positions of water pipes... did you see in the photo of the blue house that its raised off the ground 50cm or so. If I copy this design then theoretically the pipes can run under the house and not be concreted in the actual floor. Is this a good idea?

Re your last sentence. 'you'll thank yourself for doing this down the road and it will raise resale value.'' can you please elaborate? Any specific tips are appreciated

thanks