Unhinged Bangkok taxi driver threatens to murder passenger

webfact

So he told her he's not going to turn the meter on only after they were on their way? And he managed to go through traffic and traffic lights without any stops? Sounds like bs to me. I've had many drivers refusing to use the meter, but they say that before I even get into the cab, so I just say thanks, no thanks and wait for the next 1. Only once at the airport (official taxi rank) the driver started driving without the meter and wanted a fixed amount. We were still on the airport grounds so I told him to stop the car and I went back to get another taxi.

Edited by LukKrueng
Typo

3 minutes ago, David Whitemore said:

Like he said he only pick up foreign people because he rips them off by over charging, I would never use a taxi if they don't use the meter

Good luck with that... Its a long walk home when all the taxis in the area are refusing to use the meter and there are no Grab/Bolt taxi’s available.... 

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Emporium to The Clubhouse is about a 1km walk?

... and to do that he needs to drive down Sukhumvit, turn right into Asoke,  drive about 600m, and then have to right turn across the flow of traffic. No can do. 

2 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

My GF , now wife, had a horrific experience going to Swsmpy from Sukhumvit. 

Taxi called by our hotel from a company they use.  He immediately demanded, very forcefully,  B600 for the ride. I said no way - meter only. He got quite angry so I said drop us back to our hotel 2 minutes away.

Anyway he called down and stupid me we continued - driving at 140 on the highway. 

At Swampy he demanded an airport fee which was nonsense for drop offs. He then really flipped, jumped over the barrier and  came at me with a baton. I stood my ground protecting my GF, he was clearly high as the jets, but I knew not to clock him one with the other taxi drivers around. A security guard came over, smiled and did nought/nada/nothing. 

Well I had already rescued my bags, called the hotel and he was fired before he got to the highway.

Crazy guy and it could have been so much worse for me. 

Good thinking!!! There's no such thing as getting into a fight with one Thai.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Will B Good said:

If the wife catches a taxi by herself I always make it obvious I am taking a photo of the drivers number and license.....it doesn't stop her being murdered, but at least I'll have a clue as to who the murderer might be.

Most importantly, your photo would identify the murderer as.........not you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Cannot think of any fate worse than having to drive a taxi all day, in Bangkok. I would rather just be a farmer and liven off the land rather than participate in urban chaos.

I would think the farm gig is sort of ok if you're working on the family farm.

Also, as I always point out, if the taxi flag-fall is still 35 Baht, it was that 25 years ago in 1998. I left Thailand 5 years ago and thought that that should have been at least 55 Baht by then.

19 hours ago, Almer said:

Lucky to get one to pick her up, if you are anywhere in Central Bkk they listen where you want to go if it doesn't suit them they drive off

Yep. My experience too. And even more so when you want to use the meter. 

There are decent taxi drivers in BKK, of course, but the chances of encountering difficult, uncommunicative, sullen, stubborn, recalcitrant ones are just too high, which is why I gave up and only use Grab Car unless there's absolutely no choice,

• Like 1