‘Nobody’s promised tomorrow.’ Richard Glossip remains hopeful 2 weeks before he’s scheduled to be executed

onthedarkside

image.png.769143ec0dce26147b75b17f2707c990.png

After 26 years behind bars, nine execution dates, three last meals and two independent investigations that raised serious doubts about his conviction, Oklahoma death row inmate Richard Glossip is facing what could be the final days of his life.

“There has never been an execution in the history of this country where the state and the defense agreed that the defendant was not afforded a fair trial,” state Rep. Kevin McDugle said Thursday, as legislators and faith leaders called on Gov. Kevin Stitt to issue a third 60-day reprieve to give the courts time to review Glossip’s case. “Oklahoma cannot become the first.”

Last week, the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board declined to recommend clemency despite the unprecedented support of the AG, who in a rare move attended the hearing to advocate on Glossip’s behalf, saying it would be “a grave injustice” for the execution to go forward.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/04/us/richard-glossip-oklahoma-execution/index.html

CNN.jpg

I have just read about his case on the link provided, and just cannot see how this could go ahead, given what is known – – and what is definitely known is that Richard Glossip did not murder anyone. That he may have been connected in some way is very possible, but to get the death sentence for a murder that someone else committed, seems to me to be a travesty of justice.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I have just read about his case on the link provided, and just cannot see how this could go ahead, given what is known – – and what is definitely known is that Richard Glossip did not murder anyone. That he may have been connected in some way is very possible, but to get the death sentence for a murder that someone else committed, seems to me to be a travesty of justice.

Especially as the state prosecutor's key (only) witness is the murderer himself, who escaped the death sentence by implicating Glossip.

• Thumbs Up 1

This case is a prime example of why I'm against the death penalty. Not because of moral concerns (I lose no sleep over scum that deserve the ultimate punishment) but because we know that innocent do sometime get wrongly convicted, and righting a wrong in such a case is obviously impossible. 

• Like 2

On 5/5/2023 at 9:26 AM, xylophone said:

Happens in the land of the free and home of the brave all the time. Some don't even get a trial they just get shot dead at road stops.

• Thumbs Up 1