Exemption or Tourist Visa after Education Visa

I've been in Thailand on a 1-year education visa (no visits/visas prior to this), which is coming to an end next month. (And I have a child on a dependent visa.) I would like to be in Thai for a few months longer to tie up loose ends and travel around the country a bit. Is there any concern doing an overnight border run (which for us needs to be by air) and returning back to get an exemption (30 days + 30 day extension)? Will immigration not like following up the ED visa with an exemption right after?

Or will doing an actual visa run and getting tourist visas be better? If so, which country/consulate can issue tourist visas the easiest and quickest these days? According to recent posts, the ones is Vietnam (Hanoi and HCMC) are stricter these days?

Thanks for any input.

1 hour ago, angelos said:

Is there any concern doing an overnight border run (which for us needs to be by air) and returning back to get an exemption (30 days + 30 day extension)?

Could be an issue.

Why does the visa exempt need to be via air.

Also how long is "a few months" 

For sure, if you want to enter by air, you would be well advised to get a tourist visa rather than returning visa exempt. Which airport are to contemplating using for your return?

If you want to use a visa exemption, as others have implied, doing so by land is safer. You might consider flying to Vientiane, crossing the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai, and returning via Udon Thani airport.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Could be an issue.

Why does the visa exempt need to be via air.

Also how long is "a few months" 

I have a baby that has a terrible time with long drives (which a land run will be), so a short flight is actually easier.

I would stay however long allowed. If exemption, up to 60 (30+30). If tourist visa, up to 90 (60+30).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

For sure, if you want to enter by air, you would be well advised to get a tourist visa rather than returning visa exempt. Which airport are to contemplating using for your return?

If you want to use a visa exemption, as others have implied, doing so by land is safer. You might consider flying to Vientiane, crossing the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai, and returning via Udon Thani airport.

Returning to CNX, which seems to be easiest airport.

Just now, angelos said:

I have a baby that has a terrible time with long drives (which a land run will be), so a short flight is actually easier.

I would stay however long allowed. If exemption, up to 60 (30+30). If tourist visa, up to 90 (60+30).

Where are you located? 

If Bangkok then return flight to Udon Thani and border bounce at Nong Khai would be easy.

The road from UT To friendship bridge is straight and flat. 

It's under 2 hours. 

Why make easy difficult. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, angelos said:

Returning to CNX, which seems to be easiest airport.

That's dating back to 2019 when Bangkok airports played funny games 

You mention baby difficult to travel via land.

If you are not located in CM then what are you typing about 

Where are you located? 

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's dating back to 2019 when Bangkok airports played funny games 

You mention baby difficult to travel via land.

If you are not located in CM then what are you typing about 

Where are you located? 

CM. Sorry thought that was clear by my response

Edited by angelos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, angelos said:

CM. Sorry thought that was clear by my response

Was not clear from your OP unless I missed something.

So all ok to fly to eg Vietnam with infant but cannot do border bounce.

Seriously.

Your child is not subject to overstay.

He/she is exempt.

From CM do a border bounce and leave child with trusted friend. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ThailandYoda said:

Also you must CANCEL your ED Extension before leaving the country. It does not automatically end when it expires. Need to get a letter from your school with the ending date of your course 

I believe the OP is planning to leave on the final day of his current extension. In which case I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to cancel.

Can anybody clarify?

On 5/6/2023 at 1:00 PM, JayClay said:

I believe the OP is planning to leave on the final day of his current extension. In which case I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to cancel.

Can anybody clarify?

No Clarification needed. Extension must be cancelled or the next time you return to Thailand & go to immigration they will consider you on overstay. (And yes, I realize that this does not make sense but I am telling you from personal experience) So if you want to save 20,000 get a letter from your school

47 minutes ago, ThailandYoda said:

No Clarification needed. Extension must be cancelled or the next time you return to Thailand & go to immigration they will consider you on overstay. (And yes, I realize that this does not make sense but I am telling you from personal experience) So if you want to save 20,000 get a letter from your school

I really don't understand how you can be on overstay when you're not even in the country, but...

If a student left without first "cancelling" their extension, can they retrospectively get a letter from the school before they next re-enter the country? Or is there no way out of that situation?

If the "overstay" is more than one year in duration, will that student then be turned away and banned from re-entering the country for a year?

On 5/5/2023 at 5:32 PM, BritTim said:

The problem with land crossings is the borders are a long way from Bangkok and the only way to get there is by suicide van.   
That is why flying is the better option. 

Also by flying you appear to be someone with money, whereas people doing the van runs are typically doing it that way because it's cheap.

2 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

The problem with land crossings is the borders are a long way from Bangkok and the only way to get there is by suicide van.   
That is why flying is the better option. 

Also by flying you appear to be someone with money, whereas people doing the van runs are typically doing it that way because it's cheap.

One option is to fly Bangkok to Udon Thani return.

The minivan to Nong Khai is straight flat road under two hours.

The money thing about flight is nonsense.

Visa exempt entries via land have less scrutiny that entry via air and for the OP much better option.