The "new" Thailand

On 5/5/2023 at 5:40 PM, Furioso said:

This is a simple formula being implemented by corporations all over the world. 

1. Get the populations addicted to your deadly poison. 

2. The population becomes obese, weak, easier to manipulate. 

3. Rake in the profits. 

4. The rich become richer.

5. The poor become not only poorer, but also SLAVES to their corporate masters. 

Someone gets it ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2023 at 6:02 PM, marin said:

Bigger factor than eating <deleted> food is the total lack of exercise. Especially the younger ones and adolescents. Little to no exercise at all. Walk outside and get a motorbike to where you are going or a main road. Then taxi for the more affluent and a bus for those not. Another motorcycle to school or work. Texting and playing games on your phone are not forms of exercise.

I think that Covid and the rise of the motorcycle delivery people has made things worse in a short period of time. I live near Rangsit University, and in the evenings I used to see many people walking to the market. Now, the motorcycles are around all day long and there are fewer people to be seen.

• Thumbs Up 1

i totally agree.

when i first came here around 8 years ago, i hardly ever saw a fat Thai.

Now they are the norm.

We all know why........fast food, lazy, mobile phones, etc, etc.

I just look past the fatties and concentrate on the ever decreasing bevvie of beauties here in SE Asia.

My gf is under strict instructions........if you get fat.......your gone.  ha ha

4 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

i totally agree.

when i first came here around 8 years ago, i hardly ever saw a fat Thai.

Now they are the norm.

We all know why........fast food, lazy, mobile phones, etc, etc.

I just look past the fatties and concentrate on the ever decreasing bevvie of beauties here in SE Asia.

My gf is under strict instructions........if you get fat.......your gone.  ha ha

8 yrs ago? Try at least 20yrs ago, be more like it.

On 5/5/2023 at 5:03 PM, Doctor Tom said:

What you haven't mentioned, is that in that time, the level of family and personal debt has rocketed, with many now living with a high debt burden as they try to catch up with more advanced countries in terms of the general standard of living.  This has ended in tears for many families. 

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/households-debt-to-gdp

Talking of  debt  . i have been  branded stupid  by Thais    because i paid cash for a new Honda PCX scooter  when i could have got  it on finance and only paid a small amount  of money monthly,    when i questioned about the   interest  required to borrow money the answer  was...  Nevermind that !!

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 5:12 PM, GameMaster said:

Charlie Munger was right: our problem used to be feeding poor people, now it's all about finding ways to prevent their obesity. At the end of the day, it's the same everywhere. Add to that our aging population problem and what you'll see on the horizon is an healthcare apocalypse.

Actually you are all correct in your analysis of this problem.  Look at the statistics of all the so-called

advance countries like the US, Uk, Australia, other European countries, China, etc and you will note that

the number one problem today is diabetes and fat people.  Look at the western and Chinese tourists now

flocking to Thailand and one can see that fat is the current mode of way too many folks.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Thailand has become a middle income country. Thirty years ago, most of the rural population didn't buy much food, they depended on growing or catching it - all of which required effort, and a lot of the time you were under nourished. Hence many were slim, and also short. Now better nourished and taller. Yes, obesity is becoming an issue, and lack of exercise more so. But still more slim people than fat. Beauty - not any different, just average age is older! The availability of instant, delivered food also a factor in weight gain. 

Baby steps have been made towards improving Junk food, as in sugar levels in drinks, but still 20 years behind the west. The problems are made worse by the climate - exercise is not only uncomfortable, but actually dangerous if you over exert yourself. Thais need better cooking facilities and appropriate exercise opportunities; but many have limited time (working hours can be long).

• Thumbs Up 1