Suvarnabhumi to Become Thailand’s First "Green" Airport

24 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

About time too, Thailands climate screams solar energy.

Actually - practicing such policies, universally, would be a breakthrough here. 

They can start by mandating all govt structures to abide by this manner.....and then install a population-wide subsidy so that everyone can go solar. 

Just a dreamy thought.....even though nothing will ever come of it. 

The bottom line is that none of these things is profitable for those particular oligarchical circles. 

So....never mind.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I suppose a good start would be if all the airport support vehicles were electric......bus the VIPs to their private jets in a golf buggy, rather than a large Mercedes. 

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I suppose a good start would be if all the airport support vehicles were electric......bus the VIPs to their private jets in a golf buggy, rather than a large Mercedes. 

VIP's in a Golf Buggy ????????

or maybe a good reason to buy a fleet of new large Mercedes ?  lets see how much money they can spend.. I mean there a MUST have right

https://www.mercedes-benz.co.th/en/passengercars/models/electric.html

52 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Actually - practicing such policies, universally, would be a breakthrough here. 

They can start by mandating all govt structures to abide by this manner.....and then install a population-wide subsidy so that everyone can go solar. 

Just a dreamy thought.....even though nothing will ever come of it. 

The bottom line is that none of these things is profitable for those particular oligarchical circles. 

So....never mind.

Get a new party into power, ie MFP.

Cut the defense budget in half or more, get rid of most of the Generals and Commanders, 

spend the saving on subsidising solar power to the public.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Cut the defense budget in half or more, get rid of most of the Generals and Commanders, 

The revolution has taken hold...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

About time too, Thailands climate screams solar energy.

Just in Ratchaburi there are 3 solar farms that I am aware of.  There could be more.  So I would bet there are hundreds of them around the country.  I've seen some in the bigger reservoirs too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The did subsidise it to business at one point...  

I recall speaking with a guy who had solar farms in Thailand...   it was profitable until the government cut the subsidies. He ended up abandoning the farm [ that is just one anecdote through ].

BUT.. for the public... IF there can be a ‘buy back / flow back’ option where electricity can be sold back to the ‘grid’ that would attract a lot more people.

Making the airport more energy efficient is an excellent idea... BUT, I can’t help but think the underlying incentive here is someone higher up making a bit on the side !!! (yes, I’ve become horribly cynical in my years here but I just don’t see any decisions being made at such a level unless someone gets their cut).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You’ve actually been to Thailand and witnessed the climate here, right ???... 

... the heat, humidity and often the torrential rain...    

Economy riff-raff shouldn’t be transported in ‘golf buggies’ let alone private jet passengers who are paying for premium treatment.

BUT... to take your point - the AC Busses could be electric, the ground vehicles could be... 

BUT... Are they really environmentally friendly and green ???....  Of course this is a slightly off-topic whole other debate about how green ‘elective vehicles’ really are considering the energy consumption during production etc...  and the end production of electricity itself. 

Back on topic - installing plenty of solar cells at the airport is a good move forward.. not just on the roof’s but there is also a lot of ‘unused flat area’ between and outside of the runways and taxi ways etc.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You’ve actually been to Thailand and witnessed the climate here, right ???... 

Yeah, just for a few decades!  Have you?

Sweating like heck at 6am right now. So you suggest we drop the idea of pollution controls because it is hot!

Edited by jacko45k