Iowa governor to sign bill letting kids work more, do previously banned jobs

onthedarkside

image.png.a99ba40c2ce28975920fae201438a9a7.png

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds on Thursday said she will sign a bill to roll back labor protections for children, allowing them to work longer hours and take jobs that had been prohibited.

The measure would permit children as young as 14 to work in roofing, construction and demolition, provided they are part of educational or apprenticeship programs and a parent has granted permission for the work.

They would also be allowed to do light assembly work and assist customers in businesses that sell fireworks, as long as no machines are present.

READ MORE

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/iowa-governor-sign-bill-letting-232115760.html

image.png.76869f7dc62cff5c98fd4146f4c02787.png

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’m ok with it as long as the kids aren’t put in danger I had my first job at 14 saved 1200$ that summer then my mom made me buy my own cloths oh the humanity’s!!lol had a blast to but it was voluntary not out of necessity that came 2 yrs later unfortunately 

Sounds good, but unfortunately, it will be abused, not that child labor isn't a thing already.  Just give further leeway to use, or abuse.

I worked at 12 yrs old with contracted linen service to restaurants.  Then 15 yrs old in restaurant, before legal to have work papers.   Then at 16, now legal, same restaurant, and legally, only allowed to work 4 hr shift, to be completed before 1900 hrs, and 3 days a week.

Reality was 4 weekday shifts, till 0100 hrs, and two back to back 12 shifts, Friday & Saturday night till 0700, at restaurant open 24 hrs.  Teachers use to wonder why I fell asleep in their boring classes.

Yes, those not going to Uni, get out there and get your work experience, ASAP, then become self employed vs 'working class hero' ????

The system is design to create a life of servitude, till retirement & death shortly after.   Screw that.

Work Smarter, not harder or longer.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tug said:

I’m ok with it as long as the kids aren’t put in danger I had my first job at 14 saved 1200$ that summer then my mom made me buy my own cloths oh the humanity’s!!lol had a blast to but it was voluntary not out of necessity that came 2 yrs later unfortunately 

First off, that was a summer job when school wasn't in session. And if you read the article in its entirety, it removes any limitations on the number of hours 16 and 17 year olds are allowed to work. Basically what this bill is about is keeping  the wages of adult workers low.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Have to agree with this. As degrees become worth less, work experience will naturally offer kids with a decent work ethic a step on the career ladder. Also teaches kids the value of money. 

What about the 85,000 illegal kids can they now get good jobs?